The Student Room Group

Alternatives to Hip-Hop/Rap/Trap.

Hello.

I am looking to see if there is an alternative to Hip-Hop, Rap or trap out there.

However, I do want to avoid genres like mainstream pop (Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc).

I am writing this because I am unsure of my options, I fear I would not fit into the 3 genres above.

Thank you.

Sam.
Reply 1
Original post by vestigalrex510
Hello.

I am looking to see if there is an alternative to Hip-Hop, Rap or trap out there.

However, I do want to avoid genres like mainstream pop (Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc).

I am writing this because I am unsure of my options, I fear I would not fit into the 3 genres above.

Thank you.

Sam.

My question is, why are you worrying about not fitting in?
Don’t feel like you absolutely must fit in to a genre/group, the world would be boring if everyone was the same and everyone “fitted in”. If you like something, you like it. Music being ‘unpopular’ is only someone else’s opinion and they don’t matter.
I find it amusing when people go out to antagonise me about my own music taste, like, of all the things in the world they could do and they choose to pick on me? Must be a boring world to live in
XD
Original post by Nevi
My question is, why are you worrying about not fitting in?
Don’t feel like you absolutely must fit in to a genre/group, the world would be boring if everyone was the same and everyone “fitted in”. If you like something, you like it. Music being ‘unpopular’ is only someone else’s opinion and they don’t matter.

I'm just not sure what genre I would fit into other than Rap or Pop.
Reply 3
Original post by vestigalrex510
I'm just not sure what genre I would fit into other than Rap or Pop.

There's no 'fitting' in music. You just listen to what you enjoy listening to, whether it's because it moves you, makes you groove, or just sounds nice to you. So many genres are available for you to explore here's a couple off the top of my head: rock (punk, garage, metal, psychedelic, alternative, indie), jazz (ragtime, ambient, fusion, acid, contemporary), soul (R&B, funk, gospel), folk (country, progressive, world), electronic (EDM, dubstep, electronica, techno, house) experimental (this can encompass virtually anything), and many, many more.

Out of those which I mentioned, modern R&B is probably most similar to hip-hop, rap and trap, so you may want to start there.
Grime and drill are the most similar. Drill is underground and a very acquired taste, but I like it.
Listen to Wish Me Well (album) by coldhart
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest