The Student Room Group

Public Law essay based question help!

I have been given this question "Critically evaluate the extent to which judicial review on the basis of Human Rights Act 1998 poses a threat to Parliamentary sovereignty"

I'm unsure on the structure and the type of content that i should include.
Honestly i have no idea on where to begin.
We have been told to include the cases of Bellinger v Bellinger [2003] and A v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2004] .

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 1
ive got the same question and i am so confused as well. Of course we have an intro, main body then conclusion but what do we include in those. The question itself is confusing me. I sort of get it but than I dont.

What exactly do we talk about and how do we structure it.

We ve been told to draw our knowlegde on Diceyans doctrine of Parliamentary Sovereignty, Judicial application of ss.3 and 4 of the HRA 1998. And the case law R v A, Bellinger and A v Secretary for the Home Department etc.

Any help would be appreciated, especially on the structure.
Is this your first public law essay? And first law essay?
Do you have graduate student advisors in the law department who can advise how essays should be structured?
I’ve not done human rights act yet in public law but I assume it’s something that judges can over rule laws that conflict with human rights act (which is also a uk law) and so uk laws aren’t the most important. So I’d explain that and the cases given and then explain whether this does or doesn’t ignore parl sovereignty. (Ie some points both ways)
Caveat! I have only just submitted my first public law discussion essay and it’s not yet marked!
Reply 3
Original post by Catherine1973
Is this your first public law essay? And first law essay?
Do you have graduate student advisors in the law department who can advise how essays should be structured?
I’ve not done human rights act yet in public law but I assume it’s something that judges can over rule laws that conflict with human rights act (which is also a uk law) and so uk laws aren’t the most important. So I’d explain that and the cases given and then explain whether this does or doesn’t ignore parl sovereignty. (Ie some points both ways)
Caveat! I have only just submitted my first public law discussion essay and it’s not yet marked!

This isnt my first law essay but it is my first public Law one. I dont think we can ask student advisors for any guidance on this essay. Thank you for you for your help i'll start to do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending