The Student Room Group

Classical Civilisation or Biology?

I applied to college awhile ago and I picked to do A Level ICT, sociology and classical civilisation. People have kept mentioning you need a facilitating subject to go to university and know none of the A levels I chose are one, though classical civilisation is close to being one. So I started considering to change it to biology. However the problem is I’m not sure if I even want to go to uni after college. I was thinking that I’d probably start full time work since I still have no idea what I want to do career wise.
So the question is should I just stick with classical civilisation or change it to biology?
Reply 1
What is “classical civilisation”? I thought that was one of those courses that universities don’t even accept or recognise. Biology is much better I’d recommend you do that.
Original post by Deggs_14
What is “classical civilisation”? I thought that was one of those courses that universities don’t even accept or recognise. Biology is much better I’d recommend you do that.

Classical Civilisation is a subject which focuses on study of the ancient world, both Greek and Roman. Universities absolutely accept Classical Civilisation and highly value it as a subject which makes you stand out from the crowd and shows that you possess a number of skills such as in-depth, high level source analysis.

Original post by CharityCross219
I applied to college awhile ago and I picked to do A Level ICT, sociology and classical civilisation. People have kept mentioning you need a facilitating subject to go to university and know none of the A levels I chose are one, though classical civilisation is close to being one. So I started considering to change it to biology. However the problem is I’m not sure if I even want to go to uni after college. I was thinking that I’d probably start full time work since I still have no idea what I want to do career wise.
So the question is should I just stick with classical civilisation or change it to biology?

OP, have you checked out informed choices:

https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/

If you put your subjects into this website, it'll show you what you could study at university based on your options. Classical Civilisation certainly keeps many options open to you and is a really interesting subject.

Quick Reply

Latest