The Student Room Group

Psychology or chemistry

With bio and maths which would be better. To me psychology seems more interesting but a lot of people say it's boring and VERY content heavy. I have also heard chem is the hardest so I'm scared to take it in order to open up more doors as I dont particularly like the subject and I dont want to overwork myself. What would u do
Chemistry definitely. I dropped psychology for chemistry because honestly it's a more respected subject, leaves your career options more open and boosts your potential future annual pay that tiny amount. Your subjects (including chemistry) would be a good combination and unis love it.
Also biology is harder than chemistry for me, don't let people sway your decisions based on their own difficulty levels.
Its your decision at the end of the day. Do you have a career in mind and have you researched the entry requirements for university?
Hi. I do chemistry, and I really enjoy it. It can be difficult at times, but through practice it gets better. Experiments are interesting, and it builds upon GCSE knowledge while also teaching you new things. I’ll be honest, I never had any intention of doing chemistry. I wanted to do physics but I didn’t meet the grade requirements, so I had to settle for chemistry, which I am glad I did
Reply 3
Original post by ghostmalone
Chemistry definitely. I dropped psychology for chemistry because honestly it's a more respected subject, leaves your career options more open and boosts your potential future annual pay that tiny amount. Your subjects (including chemistry) would be a good combination and unis love it.
Also biology is harder than chemistry for me, don't let people sway your decisions based on their own difficulty levels.
Its your decision at the end of the day. Do you have a career in mind and have you researched the entry requirements for university?

Thank you , was there any other reason u dropped psychology like was it boring /hard :smile:
Original post by Lucy98654
Thank you , was there any other reason u dropped psychology like was it boring /hard :smile:

It war boring and not challenging enough. Not trying to be being disrespectful but too many people didn't know the difference between an independent and dependent variable.
I would recommend chemistry as the better choice, but if you don't particularly want to do it then you'll find it harder to motivate yourself to do well in it. Other than that, in terms of over working yourself I think psychology would be more likely to overwork you since it is content heavy.
Reply 6
Original post by ghostmalone
It war boring and not challenging enough. Not trying to be being disrespectful but too many people didn't know the difference between an independent and dependent variable.

Lol,fair enough
Would u say it would be better for me to take chemistry even if i dont like it much
Lol,fair enough
Would u say it would be better for me to take chemistry even if i dont like it much

Easily. I don't wanna pressure you but take it tho. Its boring but if you have the capacity and don't do it it's a waste of opportunity if you know what I mean.
I do both chemistry and psychology and I enjoy them equally, chemistry a bit more because its just a bit more brain work (if that makes sense) which I enjoy. psychology is very interesting and if you discipline yourself, it will be easier. do you know what you want to do in the future? that could help you decide? all the best x
Hi, I do psychology, and although it is very content heavy, it's very rewarding, in most universities it is regarded as a science. It also depends if you have an idea of what you want to do after a levels. Psychology also helps if you want to go into a caring profession, and despite other views, it is by no means an easy subject- it is heavily layered with biology and chemistry.
Reply 10
Original post by PastelColours
I do both chemistry and psychology and I enjoy them equally, chemistry a bit more because its just a bit more brain work (if that makes sense) which I enjoy. psychology is very interesting and if you discipline yourself, it will be easier. do you know what you want to do in the future? that could help you decide? all the best x

Thank you very much. I think I want to go into healthcare looking at dietetics,physiotherapy,speech and language etc but Idk too well. Is chemistry super hard and confusing ?
Thank you very much. I think I want to go into healthcare looking at dietetics,physiotherapy,speech and language etc but Idk too well. Is chemistry super hard and confusing ?

yh if you want to go into healthcare, chemistry is better! its not super hard but some aspects will need some reading over to get your head wrapped around it. at first some things may seem confusing, but once you ask your teachers and peers for help and you understand it, it really does become simpler x
Reply 12
Chemistry will open up more options in healthcare courses than psychology will, especially if you’re interested in dietetics. Psychology isn’t a required subject in any undergraduate course I know, so you’re not ruling yourself out of anything by not doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest