The Student Room Group

Maths gcse question help

first i gotta figure out how to attach a screenshot :3

Scroll to see replies

its probably easy to do but for some reason i cant
Try and fill in the Venn diagram
Original post by AGrizzlyBearo
Try and fill in the Venn diagram

thats the issue, how? If i put the values given in, t wont add up to 330 students, im abit lost
Original post by ovetsss
thats the issue, how? If i put the values given in, t wont add up to 330 students, im abit lost

Start with the middle of the Venn diagram - how many people take both drama and sport?
Put the extra students in the box surrounding the diagram.
Start with the middle of the Venn diagram - how many people take both drama and sport?

okay 60
Original post by ovetsss

If it add to 225 inside the diagram (which is what I got), then that means that 105 students DON’T do a sport at all, so are outside the diagram :smile:
Reply 8
Firstly, you need to find the amount of people who aren’t in the drama or sports club. Completing the venn diagram is the easiest way to do this:
Both=60 (from question)
Only drama=85-60=25
Only sports=200-60=140
None is found by doing the total number of people-the number of people you have already found
None=330-60-25-140=105
Now you can just find the probability by doing number in none/total number: 105/330=0.318 (3sf)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Peanut2847
If it add to 225 inside the diagram (which is what I got), then that means that 105 students DON’T do a sport at all, so are outside the diagram :smile:

how did you get 225? If you add all 3 values of students participating is 345?
Original post by ovetsss
okay 60

Good!
So
200 hundred do sport, but 60 out of that 200 hundred also do drama. So how many people do only sport?
Original post by alavni
Firstly, you need to find the amount of people who aren’t in the drama or sports club. Completing the venn diagram is the easiest way to do this:
Both=60 (from question)
Only drama=85-60=25
Only sports=200-60=140
None is found by doing the total number of people-the number of people you have already found
None=300-60-25-140=75
Now you can just find the probability by doing number in none/total number: 75/300=0.25

thanks lad, in the mathswatch clip it gave us a way to work out the middle number but here it was already given so i was lost. :biggrin:
Original post by alavni
Both=60 (from question)
Only drama=85-60=25
Only sports=200-60=140
None=300-60-25-140=75
Now you can just find the probability by doing number in none/total number: 75/300=0.25

Sorry, but I don't think this forum allows us to give full solutions! Only hints + tips.
Original post by ovetsss
how did you get 225? If you add all 3 values of students participating is 345?

60 people take drama and sports
85 people take drama
This means that 25 people must take JUST drama

200 people take sports
This means that 140 people’s must take JUST sport.

140+25+60= 225 in total

(Alavni explained it better tho lol)
Original post by Peanut2847
85 people take drama
This means that 25 people must take JUST drama

200 people take sports
This means that 140 people’s must take JUST sport.

140+25+60= 225 in total

(Alavni explained it better tho lol)

tHANks, i think my brain is fried or somethin due to mocks week, or im just completely retarded
Sorry, but I don't think this forum allows us to give full solutions! Only hints + tips.

as long as you dont cry about it, nobodys gonna have an issue bud
Original post by ovetsss
thanks lad, in the mathswatch clip it gave us a way to work out the middle number but here it was already given so i was lost. :biggrin:

Original post by alavni
Both=60 (from question)
Only drama=85-60=25
Only sports=200-60=140
None=300-60-25-140=75

Also, your answer is incorrect!
Original post by ovetsss
as long as you dont cry about it, nobodys gonna have an issue bud

It's all well and good someone giving you the answer now, but no one will be able to do that for you in the exam.

But anyway, good luck!
It's all well and good someone giving you the answer now, but no one will be able to do that for you in the exam.

But anyway, good luck!

Its a learning process, him giving me the answer showed me the method i can apply to answer future questions im going to practise, ez dubs
Original post by ovetsss
tHANks, i think my brain is fried or somethin due to mocks week, or im just completely retarded

Haha it’s cool
My brains fried too I’m just good at Venn diagrams, but don’t ask me about graphs lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending