The Student Room Group

RS or Physics A-Level ???

So I've been thinking for some time and I really don't know whether to take RS or Physics for my 4th subject. My other subjects are: English Lit, Geography and psychology.
I know RS and physics are very different but I'm not sure whether to go for the safer option of RS or challenge myself with physics (which im getting 9s in at gcse) and open more career opportunities for me in the future. I'm leaning towards law right now and although I know RS would help develop the skills needed for a career in law I'd like to keep my options open and take possibly take a science too. Maybe if not law something like environmental science would suit me? I really don't know, any advice please welcome.
You dont need 4 unless you are truly interested in that 4th subject and its so much advantageous for you to do 3 instead. For law, you can choose whatever and every subject will help you develop the skills for law. If you want to keep your options open, focus on the other careers you want to go to so if you would go into environmental sciences, research what you subject it requires as different unis want different subjects. You might need between Chemistry, biology, geography, maths, physics or psychology but i cant remember fully but I assume you need at least one science.
Physics
Reply 3
Why not maths? Its much more widely useful than physics (which is a bit limited in utility without maths, and anecdotally somewhat harder without maths A level).
Reply 4
My school makes you choose 4 then drop 1 but at this point I have no idea what I'd drop as I'm equally interested in all of them.
Maths would definitely be useful but I'm not doing as well as I'd like at gcse so I doubt I'd be able to cope with a level however the specific maths topics that overlap with physics (rearranging equations etc) I have no issue with. But I definitely am concerned that I'd be at a disadvantage taking physics without maths and I'd be a lotttt less likely to get an A than I would if I took RS :/
Original post by kafafyyyy
My school makes you choose 4 then drop 1 but at this point I have no idea what I'd drop as I'm equally interested in all of them.
Maths would definitely be useful but I'm not doing as well as I'd like at gcse so I doubt I'd be able to cope with a level however the specific maths topics that overlap with physics (rearranging equations etc) I have no issue with. But I definitely am concerned that I'd be at a disadvantage taking physics without maths and I'd be a lotttt less likely to get an A than I would if I took RS :/

I'm sure if you did well in them you could continue with 4 and maybe if you were doing horrendously bad in one, you could drop that one. You need to have a good foundation in gcse maths to not struggle horrendously in a level but you still can improve during it so if you would take maths, go for it - just strengthen your foundation over the summer if its not strong enough. You will definitely be at a disadvantage in physics without maths but only at the start and in certain topics, everyone will be taught and be helped with the maths stuff at the same time, which is why its advantageous for maths students because they are already exposed to the content, but you can still catch up to them. Take Physics if you think you'll get an A or be prepared to drop RS because you will have an advantaged especially in law if you have AAA than AAAB
gorl idk about RS but physics causes me to have mental breakdowns on a regular basis (my other a levels are maths, f maths and econ). physics a level is so hard. it's not even the maths part that i find hard (be warned there is much more than rearranging equations...all the mechanics which is a similar level to a level maths), just understanding what the frick is going on is so bloody confusing. honestly, a level maths is way easier. if you are going to drop one subject regardless, i would take AS maths over AS physics (year one is such a beeping challenge) and with maths you keep lots of options open. idk where you are going to apply physics in law so maths is a more rounded option. with RS you will be taking all essay subjects and there is just way tooo much to remember and write. my memory is terrible so maths works out well- as long as you understand it is very little you need to remember
i'm in my final year by the way.. exams in 90 days :ashamed:
Physics is v respectable but it doesn’t go as well w ur other subjects. Probably go all science & maths or all humanities
Original post by Umaurma
gorl idk about RS but physics causes me to have mental breakdowns on a regular basis (my other a levels are maths, f maths and econ). physics a level is so hard. it's not even the maths part that i find hard (be warned there is much more than rearranging equations...all the mechanics which is a similar level to a level maths), just understanding what the frick is going on is so bloody confusing. honestly, a level maths is way easier. if you are going to drop one subject regardless, i would take AS maths over AS physics (year one is such a beeping challenge) and with maths you keep lots of options open. idk where you are going to apply physics in law so maths is a more rounded option. with RS you will be taking all essay subjects and there is just way tooo much to remember and write. my memory is terrible so maths works out well- as long as you understand it is very little you need to remember

Omg i feel this so much. AS physics is so confusing idk how im gonna surive a level physics. You can apply to law with physics as with any subjects actually. I agree tho with having a non essay subject to reduce your workload slightly but it depends on what kind of person you are because some people can balance it alright and prefer it
Original post by Sophhhowa
Physics is v respectable but it doesn’t go as well w ur other subjects. Probably go all science & maths or all humanities

It doesnt need to go well with other subjects and I'm sorry but I dont see why it would be important if they need to be compatible
Original post by PetitePanda
Omg i feel this so much. AS physics is so confusing idk how im gonna surive a level physics. You can apply to law with physics as with any subjects actually. I agree tho with having a non essay subject to reduce your workload slightly but it depends on what kind of person you are because some people can balance it alright and prefer it

you can do it! :frown: put lots of extra work over the summer (I was dragged last year but after the summer I am managing to walk)
Original post by PetitePanda
It doesnt need to go well with other subjects and I'm sorry but I dont see why it would be important if they need to be compatible

Similar subjects overlap both content and skills wise which makes it easier. Taking different subjects can make you seem unsure in what you want to do and unis often prefer them all to b similar as it gives you a stronger foundation
Reply 13
But don't you think taking a wide range of subjects makes you seem like a more well-rounded individual (provided you do well in them) and doesnt limit you to a certain career sector if you're uncertain about what you wanna do
Reply 14
And honestly I'm just scared about physics like everyone I've asked so far has said it consumes your soul and seeing as I'm more suited to humanities subjects should I really take a science and possibly end up spending all my time and energy on it and neglecting my other subjects ? Idk 😭😭 might just do eenie meenie miney mo
Original post by Sophhhowa
Similar subjects overlap both content and skills wise which makes it easier. Taking different subjects can make you seem unsure in what you want to do and unis often prefer them all to b similar as it gives you a stronger foundation

I guess but the only thing I think would help that content would overlap is Physics and Maths. Being unsure is common though; I think there's so much stress in taking one specific route at such a young age while most of those people dont have a specific goal so its hard to be sure. Unis i assume are quite neutral about the combinations as they only care about required subjects thats probably why they only state certain subjects as required subjects would affect their further learning a specific degree. Even in medicine, ofc theres chemistry or/and biology you have to take but its often varied list of subjects you have to take and even in Newcastle uni, you can apply with any subjects if i remember correctly. However, in these courses, you can take the required subjects and have a list of options for the rest and you can still do the course you wanna take, especially if you apply smartly. There's also different routes into certain courses with apprenticeships and foundation years or any uni with good research to it. It's like saying essay subjects with help you have a strong foundation with any social science: yes it will help but one can develop their skills in the 3 years studying this course and they learn the new content at the start. Although I do agree that it could give you a strong foundation, i think its only applicable to only some degrees for all the subjects to be similar.

But don't you think taking a wide range of subjects makes you seem like a more well-rounded individual (provided you do well in them) and doesnt limit you to a certain career sector if you're uncertain about what you wanna do

Well the skills you have/gained shouldnt be limited in your a levels as you can gain it from other situations/experiences but I do agree that you shouldnt be limited to a certain career sector unless youre certain to go into that sector. If you have some rough idea or clueless, I suggest researching different types of degrees that could interest you and their required subjects so you have a list of what you can choose and not choose so you have more time to find out which degree you like in your time in further education.
And honestly I'm just scared about physics like everyone I've asked so far has said it consumes your soul and seeing as I'm more suited to humanities subjects should I really take a science and possibly end up spending all my time and energy on it and neglecting my other subjects ? Idk 😭😭 might just do eenie meenie miney mo

I totally understand why you feel like that but thats the same for any a level subject :biggrin: because its so different compared to gcses. Although Physics do make me cry, all my other subjects do but I honestly love them because I am interested in all mine. If you are unsure, you can always take the subject and drop it/ switch it with another if you want but keep in mind what your school's deadline is, if you dont like it. You wont neglect your other subjects unless you want to focus on it; it's up to you what you spend your time on each subject and how long for because you are quite independent in this so it is literally up to you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
Thank you so much for the advice it genuinely helped a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest