The Student Room Group
You would still need to apply via UCAS in the usual way, however most medical schools indicate they prefer, and quite a few require, applicants currently on another degree programme to complete that programme before applying. Some don't consider applicants who have begun but not completed another degree programme at all. It does happen but it's very unusual and I think you would really need to be somewhat outstanding to be competitive in that sense. Some require the specific support of your current university in the application - including a reference from your personal tutor/director of studies specifically encouraging the application - to consider such a student.

If you have failed to get into medicine this year, it would be far cheaper, give you more options, and be generally more productive to take a gap year and reapply, rather than try and apply from another degree programme. You can take the year out to get more work experience, spend more time preparing for any admissions tests and interviews, and generally prepare an application throughout the entire process. If you start a degree programme elsewhere you will need to be submitting your application within a couple weeks of starting term, and need to juggle your current course with interview dates and prep etc.
I applied for medicine while studying medicine. I forgot I was studying medicine so applied to study medicine. I was already studying medicine but I thought I wasn't studying medicine. I thought I was on the biomedical science course but was actually studying medicine so I applied to do medicine at the same uni. THey told me I was already doing medicine and why did I apply again for medicine. It turned out I was meant to be studying biomedical science because I didn't get into medicine but they thought I had got into do medicine so I did medicine all the way through.
Original post by artful_lounger
You would still need to apply via UCAS in the usual way, however most medical schools indicate they prefer, and quite a few require, applicants currently on another degree programme to complete that programme before applying. Some don't consider applicants who have begun but not completed another degree programme at all. It does happen but it's very unusual and I think you would really need to be somewhat outstanding to be competitive in that sense. Some require the specific support of your current university in the application - including a reference from your personal tutor/director of studies specifically encouraging the application - to consider such a student.

If you have failed to get into medicine this year, it would be far cheaper, give you more options, and be generally more productive to take a gap year and reapply, rather than try and apply from another degree programme. You can take the year out to get more work experience, spend more time preparing for any admissions tests and interviews, and generally prepare an application throughout the entire process. If you start a degree programme elsewhere you will need to be submitting your application within a couple weeks of starting term, and need to juggle your current course with interview dates and prep etc.

I’ve emailed every medical school and I will only apply to the universities who said the fact I’m on another course won’t affect my application. Also I’m from Scotland so university will be free so cost is not a problem. Do u still think it’s not a good idea ? I don’t want to take a gap year incase I don’t do well in the entrance exam well again because it’ll be a waste of a year.
Original post by Studen786786786
I’ve emailed every medical school and I will only apply to the universities who said the fact I’m on another course won’t affect my application. Also I’m from Scotland so university will be free so cost is not a problem. Do u still think it’s not a good idea ? I don’t want to take a gap year incase I don’t do well in the entrance exam well again because it’ll be a waste of a year.

If you're going into this already expecting to do badly in the UCAT/BMAT/etc then I don't really think reapplying is going to be worthwhile at all. Make a decision about what path you want to go down, and commit to it fully - don't try and do both routes in half measures. All that's likely to achieve is you doing badly in the pre-interview assessments, failing to get in again, and then also doing poorly in your first year courses for your current course which would then give you a poorer foundation for the rest of your degree.

I would also note that having studied for a year at a university may well affect your entitlement for funding further down the line and cause potential problems later. It doesn't matter whether SAAS paid for it, or you got loans from SFE, or if you paid for it out of pocket; loan entitlement for SFE at least is based on the number of years of prior study in HE, not whether those were funded or how. I imagine SAAS only funds for a certain number of years in a similar way to SFE, although I can't honestly say I'm that familiar with their funding model so take that with a pinch of salt.
Original post by artful_lounger
If you're going into this already expecting to do badly in the UCAT/BMAT/etc then I don't really think reapplying is going to be worthwhile at all. Make a decision about what path you want to go down, and commit to it fully - don't try and do both routes in half measures. All that's likely to achieve is you doing badly in the pre-interview assessments, failing to get in again, and then also doing poorly in your first year courses for your current course which would then give you a poorer foundation for the rest of your degree.

I would also note that having studied for a year at a university may well affect your entitlement for funding further down the line and cause potential problems later. It doesn't matter whether SAAS paid for it, or you got loans from SFE, or if you paid for it out of pocket; loan entitlement for SFE at least is based on the number of years of prior study in HE, not whether those were funded or how. I imagine SAAS only funds for a certain number of years in a similar way to SFE, although I can't honestly say I'm that familiar with their funding model so take that with a pinch of salt.

It’s not the fact I think I’m gonna do badly again it’s IF I do badly again it’ll be a waste of a year, and university here is year longer already. Also SAAS fund your first degree which allows you to change course once. I suggested a gap year to my parents and they did not like it at all they have the mentality that it’s for people who fail to get into Uni, this isn’t the main reason I don’t wanna do a gap year but it is an obstacle.
Original post by Studen786786786
It’s not the fact I think I’m gonna do badly again it’s IF I do badly again it’ll be a waste of a year, and university here is year longer already. Also SAAS fund your first degree which allows you to change course once. I suggested a gap year to my parents and they did not like it at all they have the mentality that it’s for people who fail to get into Uni, this isn’t the main reason I don’t wanna do a gap year but it is an obstacle.

Why is it a waste of a year? Its one year out of a 45+ year career? You can get a job, earn some money, travel, get some life experience. It would leave you with more options of places to apply to.

You're an adult. Talk to your parents. Explain a gap year is the sensible thing to do, particularly in medical applications. Its cheaper (can earn you money) and often is the more direct route in to medicine.
Original post by ForestCat
Why is it a waste of a year? Its one year out of a 45+ year career? You can get a job, earn some money, travel, get some life experience. It would leave you with more options of places to apply to.

You're an adult. Talk to your parents. Explain a gap year is the sensible thing to do, particularly in medical applications. Its cheaper (can earn you money) and often is the more direct route in to medicine.

I appreciate the help, I’m still waiting on one medical school to get back to me but I’ll defo talk to my parents and explain the situation

Latest

Trending

Trending