The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1) Maths, Chemistry, History and self-studying Classical Civilisation, hoping for A* in all of them, probably more likely to get A*s in all of them apart from maths2) Classics (4 years)3)What are your GCSE Grades? 9888777764) It’s just always been my dream really About UCAS specifically:5) Edinburgh, Durham, Exeter and Royal Holloway 6) Nope, not yet 7) Just an insane amount of extra reading, which honestly I am loving 8) Nope, it’d be an at interview thing, although I don’t think I’ll even get that far
Original post by legallyroyal63
Hey everyone! I currently hold an offer for Law at Gonville and Caius, Cambridge for 2020 entry and am happy to answer any questions anyone has about the process or law applications in particular:smile: good luck!

(offer conditions = A*AA)

Hey, I want to study law at Cambridge - at the moment I'm going to apply to Corpus Christi. How did you make your application strong and specific to law, and what are your 3 top tips for a prospective law student like myself?
Thank you!
Hi everyone!
1) I take English Lit, Mathematics, and Law. I'm currently predicted A*A*A, though will try to make that three A*s before summer!
2) I want to take Law at Cam
3) I got 9888888876 at GCSE
4)Cambridge is a beautiful area of prestige and elite. My background sees me fall into certain stereotypes, and what better way to break them than going to Cambridge?

About UCAS specifically:
5)Durham, LSE, UCL, and King's
6)I have been to an open day for St John's college
8)The CLT (Cambridge Law Test)
Original post by CJStevens
Hey, I want to study law at Cambridge - at the moment I'm going to apply to Corpus Christi. How did you make your application strong and specific to law, and what are your 3 top tips for a prospective law student like myself?
Thank you!

so I did work experience at a barristers chambers, law essay competition at trinity, epq on human rights, attended the Cambridge sixth form law conference, did mock trials and read loads of books which I talked about in my personal statement.
3 tips:
-super curriculars are important to differentiate yourself from other candidates and are good talking points at interview
-get the highest predicted grades possible
-don’t apply to a college based on statistics. E.g. I applied to gonville and caius regardless of their statistics even though they had 100 applications for law for 15 places last year.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by John Wick11
How was the stem at Imperial?

If I'm honest it wasn't fantastic, but if you can get a place on something like it it wouldn't do you any harm.
Good to know, thanks
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of reapplying if I get rejected from my second choice uni aswell and hopefully get some good grades this summer. I applied last year and was rejected from the pool at St. Johns. The thought of reapplying is terrifying as it's a whole year of my life but I do really believe that I can do better and that Cambridge is where I want to be.
Reply 47
GCSE: 999988887
A-Level Predictions : A*A*A*
Course: Medicine - I hope!

Extra / Super Curricular:
- Online course on the cognitive and physical impact of Dementia, and extra reading
- 1 Week Hospital Work Experience (In Cardiology) {I applied and hope I get in}
- Care Home Work with the elderly {Hoping to apply once there’s a space free}
- Manchester Access Program (Which offer insight to Medical style lectures and academic Science based essays)
- Maths program at the Imperial College London
- Hoepfuly hoping to get a placement with the Social Mobility Foundation
- DofE and 3- months charity shop work

I think even going to University is orthodox for my family considering we aren’t the brightest, however Cambridge seems like a nice place to go and of course is really great academically.

Alternative uni’s: Probably Manchester
And will ofc be taking the BMAT and UCAS
Original post by s.jones5
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of reapplying if I get rejected from my second choice uni aswell and hopefully get some good grades this summer. I applied last year and was rejected from the pool at St. Johns. The thought of reapplying is terrifying as it's a whole year of my life but I do really believe that I can do better and that Cambridge is where I want to be.

Good luck! What did you apply for and what’s your second choice? Do you mean you are still waiting for an offer from them?
Original post by Lifestoolong
Good luck! What did you apply for and what’s your second choice? Do you mean you are still waiting for an offer from them?

Thanks so much, I'm just waiting on UCL now, I have offers from all my others but I'm not sure I want to take any of them up. (except cambridge obvs)
(edited 4 years ago)
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for? Maths - A* Further Maths - A* Economics - A* French - A
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? Economics
3)What are your GCSE Grades? 999999998887
4)Why Cambridge? Beautiful place, been to see it many times and i love it. Prefer the teaching style, e.g. supervisions and my course is more maths based which i prefer. Been a dream to go to Cambridge from a young age.

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to? Warwick, LSE, UCL
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? Been to see it on weekends
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one? ECAA
Reply 51
Original post by arshakshahr
Currently studying in Scotland so adjusted it:

1)What Highers (AS Levels) are you taking and what grades are you hoping for? Maths A - Physics A - Economics A - English A- Computing Sci A
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? Economics
3)What are your National 5 (GCSE) Grades? AAAAAAAA
4)Why Cambridge? Has been my dream since I joined high school, also sexy job prospects

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to? LSE (also actuarial science), Edinburgh, St Andrews
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? Yep
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger. Hoping to help some younger kids out with their maths. Reading Economics related books and plan to publish a few Economics essays in the school newspaper.
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one. Yes I'm not sure which one it is off by heart but it says on the Cam website

mate you need AH for Cambridge.
Reply 52
Original post by tash299792
I noticed that there wasn't one for 2021 applicants - and while most of us are still in Year 12, it would be nice to have a thread for prospective applicants. (It's already 2020 - this time next year we'll (hopefully) have university offers rolling in!!!! :-O )

This is kind of @New Wonder's 2020 thread except for 2021 applicants.

(Some questions from New Wonder's thread):
To get this thread started introduce yourself:
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge?
3)What are your GCSE Grades?
4)Why Cambridge?

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to?
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge?
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.

1) Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, all A*s
2) Maths
3) 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 5
4) I really like the idea of the collegiate system, love the city, and it seems to have a very good maths course, in terms of the options that come with it.
5) Durham, maybe Warwick, ICL, Manchester
6) Not as of yet, though I will be!
7) I'm a mentor at college for maths, and have taken part in several UKMT events, including a summer school. Also I've been doing plenty of mathematical reading, for example, some of Feynman's lectures, and completed an EPQ on 'the Uses of the Number Zero' to give me an insight into some higher level maths.
8) At least two STEP papers, but I will be sitting all 3.
Original post by legallyroyal63
so I did work experience at a barristers chambers, law essay competition at trinity, epq on human rights, attended the Cambridge sixth form law conference, did mock trials and read loads of books which I talked about in my personal statement.
3 tips:
-super curriculars are important to differentiate yourself from other candidates and are good talking points at interview
-get the highest predicted grades possible
-don’t apply to a college based on statistics. E.g. I applied to gonville and caius regardless of their statistics even though they had 100 applications for law for 15 places last year.
Hope this helps :smile:

I presume this means you got an offer from Caius for law this Michaelmas? I must have missed this in the law entry thread. If so, congratulations :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
I presume this means you got an offer from Caius for law this Michaelmas? I must have missed this in the law entry thread. If so, congratulations :smile:

Thank you!!😊😊
Reply 55
Aww good luck everyone :smile: it’s a long journey ahead of you.
Reply 56
Hello everyone!

1. A*A*A (English Literature, Psychology, History) + A* in Level 3 Criminology.
2. Theology, Religion & Philosophy of religion
3. 999988876 (6 in maths lol)
4. The course combined with the beauty of the town and the uni's history. The apocalypse module in particular looks amazing and is unconventional, fitting my interests perfectly.

5. KCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Bristol, Exeter.
6. Not yet, going to the divinity faculty open day next month though!
7. A huge amount of wider reading, MUN, Bar Mock Trials, teaching assistance. In my spare time I do taxidermy :-)
8. A test based on a sample lecture at interview.
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for? Maths A* further maths A* chemistry A* biology A
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? maths
3)What are your GCSE Grades? 9999887765 A* ( I know these aren’t the highest so if you think I’m punching above my weight by applying please let me know, I don’t mind people’s honesty)
4)Why Cambridge? you are able to be thought by some of the best academics in your subject. It’s prestigious reputation and Cambridge itself is such an amazing place

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to? Warwick Birmingham Manchester bath
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? yes
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger. helping other students in my year in a tutoring scheme. Out of syllabus reading. ( if anyone has any other ideas please let me know!)
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one. step
Original post by QQZE
mate you need AH for Cambridge.

I know that but I'd be applying before I've completed my advanced highers and after completing highers in May so why would I predict my Advanced Highers if I'm not even in S6?
Reply 59
Hi everyone!
1. I'm taking History, Economics, English Lit and Maths and I'm hoping for A*, A*, A*, A
2. I'm applying for a law degree with a year abroad (the Netherlands for International Law)
3. 9,9,9,9,8,A*,A*,A
4. I love my subject, a lot, and I am ready to fully invest myself in getting the best of the best education on it... Also, the town is so pretty and I really want to be a part of a community such as Cambridge!
5. Glasgow, UCL, Durham/Aberdeen, Warwick
6. Nope :frown:
7. I am just studying for my A-levels lol. I need to start prepping for the Law Test at Cambridge and the LNAT. I'm also doing quite a few extra-curriculars such as EYP and MUNs and volunteering.
8. For Cambridge I need the Law Admission one, and I need the LNAT for some of my other unis.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending