The Student Room Group

How can I go from failing to an A in Higher Human Biology in 11 weeks?

I sit my HHB exam in 11 weeks and i have no idea how to begin revising. Things like flash cards work the best and i have the how to pass book too. any idea how/if it's even possible to go from failing to an A
Reply 1
I’m doing normal Bio and I got An A1 in the mock exam. I know I’m not in the position where I’ve ever been failing but try to find videos online where other teachers have explained the topics, and if your teacher offers go to additional study. I also think doing the past papers help a lot in the lead up to exams because you get used to what the questions are asking. :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you! It's the first time I have ever been in this position, due to mental health issues. I've generally achieved straight A's but my mocks were an absolute disaster. My teacher is also totally inept so i have been relying on study guides and people in my class
Reply 3
I hope it your mental health gets better for you soon! If your school has scholar that’s really helpful too
Reply 4
Thank you! I'm on medication now which has had it's ups and downs so i'm definitely in a better place. it's just a case of getting my grades back to normal. I actually haven't heard of that but I would be shocked if it did :smile:
Do a little every day. Definitely use scholar if it’s available, that was a lifesaver for higher. But routine (as much as I hate it, believe me) will save you.

Before you come into class go over that section from the how to pass textbook and make notes or questions on what you don’t understand. During your lesson answer these questions and if anything is still in doubt, ask your teacher and write it all down. This should help cement it in your head but you should still go over it again. So go over material before the lesson, make sure to fully understand it during the lesson and then consolidate or fine tune anything else after the lesson. If you’re able to convert these notes into flashcards or at least be able to go over them a few times a week. I highly recommend making flashcards on anki, which you can download onto your computer for free. Using anki I learned my entire anatomy module in 2 days, so if you use it consistently for 11 weeks you will be able to get that A.

Best of luck!
Reply 6
Original post by raem.jpg
Do a little every day. Definitely use scholar if it’s available, that was a lifesaver for higher. But routine (as much as I hate it, believe me) will save you.

Before you come into class go over that section from the how to pass textbook and make notes or questions on what you don’t understand. During your lesson answer these questions and if anything is still in doubt, ask your teacher and write it all down. This should help cement it in your head but you should still go over it again. So go over material before the lesson, make sure to fully understand it during the lesson and then consolidate or fine tune anything else after the lesson. If you’re able to convert these notes into flashcards or at least be able to go over them a few times a week. I highly recommend making flashcards on anki, which you can download onto your computer for free. Using anki I learned my entire anatomy module in 2 days, so if you use it consistently for 11 weeks you will be able to get that A.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much!
Last year I went from a C in the prelim to an A in higher human biology, and my teacher never thought I'm going to achieve an A as I never achieved an A in any test we did. What I did is, I learned the course inside out, so I made sure I know everything no matter what they ask me. on the SQA website there is a document called course specification (https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/HigherCourseSpecHumanBiology.pdf) it contains all the stuff you need to know for your exam and its very helpful learning tool. I made a word document with everything and I printed it off and revised from it as well as my notes.
I was quite bad at problem solving so I did every single past paper and I really focused on the questions I got wrong. Then I did all the past papers again and compared answers. So if I got a questions wrong 2 times, it meant I don't know it and I really tried to learn everything.
Flash cards are great for revision.

Hope this helps.
Reply 8
Original post by xelliexx223
Last year I went from a C in the prelim to an A in higher human biology, and my teacher never thought I'm going to achieve an A as I never achieved an A in any test we did. What I did is, I learned the course inside out, so I made sure I know everything no matter what they ask me. on the SQA website there is a document called course specification (https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/HigherCourseSpecHumanBiology.pdf) it contains all the stuff you need to know for your exam and its very helpful learning tool. I made a word document with everything and I printed it off and revised from it as well as my notes.
I was quite bad at problem solving so I did every single past paper and I really focused on the questions I got wrong. Then I did all the past papers again and compared answers. So if I got a questions wrong 2 times, it meant I don't know it and I really tried to learn everything.

Hope this helps.

That gives me hope for higher maths, I got a D in the prelim but want a C!
Reply 9

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! that helps massively. i condensed the course into quizlets which i think has really helped
Original post by mary388
That gives me hope for higher maths, I got a D in the prelim but want a C!

hah I do higher maths too this year. I failed the prelim but I really hope I pass with at least a C.

Good luck to both of us.:smile:
hah I do higher maths too this year. I failed the prelim but I really hope I pass with at least a C.

Good luck to both of us.:smile:

Trig is so hard! Especially 3D
Original post by SCHOLARuk
Thank you for the mention mary388! We ran three Online Tutor Sessions for Higher Human Biology over the course of the academic year which are available to watch again when logged into SCHOLAR; navigate to the course and then follow the 'Online Tutor sessions' link from 'Resources'.

Best of luck with your studies chris05749! If you don't already have your SCHOLAR login details, try asking your teacher or at the school office. Please let us know if you have any issues gaining access.

Do you have any generic logins? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending