The Student Room Group

What job can I do with an educational studies degree?

I was studying to be a primary teacher when I realised at this end of my second year I really didn’t want to be a teacher. In order to not lose all the student finance I’ve spent so far on getting a degree I was offered the opportunity to transfer to be a third year on an educational studies course as it was broader. What jobs can I get with this degree? I like working with children but not all the politics and paper work of being a teacher. Can I be a higher level TA with this degree? I’ve asked my university but due to the current situation it’s hard to get a straight answer from the right person straight away. Please help what jobs can I do with just this degree?
Original post by Chelsea0110
I was studying to be a primary teacher when I realised at this end of my second year I really didn’t want to be a teacher. In order to not lose all the student finance I’ve spent so far on getting a degree I was offered the opportunity to transfer to be a third year on an educational studies course as it was broader. What jobs can I get with this degree? I like working with children but not all the politics and paper work of being a teacher. Can I be a higher level TA with this degree? I’ve asked my university but due to the current situation it’s hard to get a straight answer from the right person straight away. Please help what jobs can I do with just this degree?

Hi :smile:

There are a range of opportunities open to those with a degree in Education. Being a TA could be an option - although to become a higher level TA you may need to do some extra specific qualifications.

If you look on Prospects they have a whole page with advise and information on jobs you could do with an Education degree.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Melissa :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi :smile:

There are a range of opportunities open to those with a degree in Education. Being a TA could be an option - although to become a higher level TA you may need to do some extra specific qualifications.

If you look on Prospects they have a whole page with advise and information on jobs you could do with an Education degree.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Melissa :biggrin:

Yeah the prospects webpage is pretty much not useful in the sense it lists jobs like primary or secondary teacher which this degree doesn’t qualify me to do you need extra qualifications such a degrees to do most of the jobs it lists. It doesn’t tell me any jobs besides a TA that I could do with just this degree. Thank you anyways though
Reply 3
I think it depends what you want to do. I did an undergrad in physical ed and realised i didn't want to be a pe teacher in my second year but it was too late to transfer. Finished it off and graduated and worked for a year as a further education sports lecturer whilst doing my masters in education. Currently working as an education policy and campaigns officer whilst in the final year of my masters (part time). I'm still technically in education but my job involves research, policy briefings, lots of meetings and lobbying etc. It's quite varied. I think it's about what you do with your degree. If you aren't sure of what you want try doing work experience and placements in different settings to see what you like.
Original post by Chelsea0110
Yeah the prospects webpage is pretty much not useful in the sense it lists jobs like primary or secondary teacher which this degree doesn’t qualify me to do you need extra qualifications such a degrees to do most of the jobs it lists. It doesn’t tell me any jobs besides a TA that I could do with just this degree. Thank you anyways though

Hi :biggrin:

No problem! If you aren't interested in further study, there are many jobs which you could also go into by just having a degree, which may not be specific to your degree subject!

If you have any more questions, just ask!

Melissa :smile:
you could defiantly work in a school in some capacity if thats what you would like to do, TA, cover teacher, probably even in the more admin roles, eg attendance officer etc

outside of schools, councils have jobs relating to school admissions, helping children stay in school (behavioral problems,poor attendance etc), im not too sure on the job titles but there are ways to work in education without the school environment.

Id imagine there are also charities, tutoring companies etc that you'd be suited for.
I completed an English Literature degree and carried out lots of teaching work experience before realising I didn't want to go down that route either, and started looking into other career options.

I think you could definitely work in a school or for the council like others have suggested, but you could also consider the Office for Students, the Department for Education, Ofsted, etc. Tutoring centres, like Explore Learning, sometimes have their own graduate schemes where you work as an Assistant Director of a centre (though I've heard the hours can be quite difficult).

If you're thinking of roles outside of teaching entirely, you could consider other roles in the council or the Civil Service. Most graduate schemes (if that's a route you'd consider taking) also don't specify a preference for any specific degree, so you could go into consulting, law (with a conversion degree), marketing, etc. as long as you show that you have the relevant transferable skills and a passion for the sector you're applying for.

But there are plenty of options out there and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to pursue!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Justmac
I think it depends what you want to do. I did an undergrad in physical ed and realised i didn't want to be a pe teacher in my second year but it was too late to transfer. Finished it off and graduated and worked for a year as a further education sports lecturer whilst doing my masters in education. Currently working as an education policy and campaigns officer whilst in the final year of my masters (part time). I'm still technically in education but my job involves research, policy briefings, lots of meetings and lobbying etc. It's quite varied. I think it's about what you do with your degree. If you aren't sure of what you want try doing work experience and placements in different settings to see what you like.

Hello! I've got a BA in Education and am due to start and MSc Education (Neuroscience and Education) at Bristol Uni in September. Like you, I don't want to be a teacher. How did you get into your field and do you have any advice for me in terms of moving away from becoming a full-time teacher? Also what masters did you study and where?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending