The Student Room Group

Insect gas exchange

I am getting confused with this topic
Can anyone help me understand this topic with some easy steps
I read somewhere about accumulation of lactic acid in tracheole and water moving out by osmosis and completely lost it
Reply 1
Original post by Laboromniavincit
I read somewhere about accumulation of lactic acid in tracheole and water moving out by osmosis and completely lost it

Hiya!
It seems that you are getting confused with the inect gas exchange and the gas exchange in fish?

Please see attached for a document with my revision notes for fish and insects i used in year 12 :smile: please dont be afraid to ask for extra help if you do still do not understand

These notes arennt very indepth but they are in line with the OCR spec and were enough to get me full marks on exam questions to do with these :smile:
Original post by xozxexo
Hiya!
It seems that you are getting confused with the inect gas exchange and the gas exchange in fish?

Please see attached for a document with my revision notes for fish and insects i used in year 12 :smile: please dont be afraid to ask for extra help if you do still do not understand

These notes arennt very indepth but they are in line with the OCR spec and were enough to get me full marks on exam questions to do with these :smile:

I was getting all confused
thank you so much your notes are brilliant

i found this extremely useful
do you hv anything on kidney in excretion please ?
I wd be so grateful
Reply 3
I was getting all confused
thank you so much your notes are brilliant

i found this extremely usefulI
do you hv anything on kidney in excretion please ?
I wd be so grateful

You're very welcome!

I dont currently have my typed up revision notes on the kidney and excretion as I was just starting my year 13 revision before they cancelled the exams for this year :frown:

I am thinking of starting to type up my revision notes for year 13 biology within the next 6 months and release both year 12 and year 13 on the A level thread to students who need them :smile:

I do already have much of year 12 already done, and and cellular controll from year 13 done if you need any other topics but the rest are a work in progress im a fraid
Original post by xozxexo
You're very welcome!

I dont currently have my typed up revision notes on the kidney and excretion as I was just starting my year 13 revision before they cancelled the exams for this year :frown:

I am thinking of starting to type up my revision notes for year 13 biology within the next 6 months and release both year 12 and year 13 on the A level thread to students who need them :smile:

I do already have much of year 12 already done, and and cellular controll from year 13 done if you need any other topics but the rest are a work in progress im a fraid

Do you have anything typed up on classification and evolution? Year 12?
I wish you have your A level resolved in a satisfactory manner
I don’t know what the impact will be but we are all in the same boat. We will have some great stories to tell hopefully and come out victorious
Thank you so much for your help

At the end of tracheole there's a bit of water. So in the usual circumstances the gases wont diffuse into the space occupied by water.

When the insect is very active, higher the oxygen requirement, hence through anaerobic respiration lactic acid builds up in the muscle tissues. This increases osmotic concentration, lowers water potential

osmosis occurs frm high water potential to low water potential. The water present at the end of tracheole moves into muscle tissue via osmosis

Now that the space occupied by water in the tracheole is empty, bonus extra surface area in tracheoles for gas exchange.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending