The Student Room Group

What's something from your childhood that would stun children of today?

I would say
Not being able to use Netflix.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
going to the library to do your school research because there was no internet..

having no smartphone/mobiles

schools being lax on students [seems like they are much stricter today than in the past, i was looking at the website for the school i used to go to, it is now an academy and has rules so strict you'd think you were on SAS: Who Dares Wins or some crap]
Uni was free

There were 3 channels on tv

No internet or mobiles.

Takeaways were virtually non existent

At school we regularly went on strike to get what we wanted and it worked

Corporal punishment existed in school
Reply 3
Those ads were so funny 😂

I look them up on youtube though and they are full of dislikes and have a very bad like to dislike ratio.

but at the time literally no one was offended by those ads.
Original post by ANM775
Those ads were so funny 😂

I look them up on youtube though and they are full of dislikes and have a very bad like to dislike ratio.

but at the time literally no one was offended by those ads.

No we weren’t. Tbh I’m still not offended now. It’s just how they were and it doesn’t matter today
Using a sliderule in maths lessons.
A cricket bat. that would proper stun them
Having a Prime Minister who had a clue what they were doing.
lol - have they got rid of this now, 30-somethings with gender studies degrees would be at their throats
Actually going outside to hang with friends, without mobile phones.
Original post by MidgetFever

Ah the days of the phone box.
Before phone cards ( remember them?) calls were free by triggering the coin slot with a lolly stick
I used to play video games on a solid ****ing cube. No joke. Nintendo’s GameCube was and still is the best console ever made
Boys were boys and girls were girls and it was just that simple.
Original post by Sammylou40
Ah the days of the phone box.
Before phone cards ( remember them?) calls were free by triggering the coin slot with a lolly stick

Oh god, those things. My dad started to collect them after they died out :lol:
Not only was it free - you used to get given money.
Reply 15
Yorkshire puddings are for everyone
Following on from @Sammylou40's post, there was a 'closedown' of television at about midnight and then no further broadcasts until the following evening. Later, there was some children's programming in the morning.

There was absolutely no need for 'daytime television' because who in earth would be watching the television in the daytime? People would either be at work or attending to their domestic chores. Sitting around to watch the television was just unfathomable.
Original post by barnetlad
Having a Prime Minister who had a clue what they were doing.

Old politics is better than today’s politics, where there was true honour in the job.
Reply 18
Losing your mates in a club and having no way of contacting them to find out where they were.
Original post by MidgetFever

Still do that today when I get the chance

Quick Reply

Latest