The Student Room Group

How do you burn/destroy/melt a metal keyring?

I just want to make something unrecognisable. A single flame has not worked. It's not done anything at all to it.

Scroll to see replies

I mean but why? > I’ll tell you but I’m curious to ask why first.

I know multiple ways down from fire to household chemicals
Original post by Anonymous
I just want to make something unrecognisable. A single flame has not worked. It's not done anything at all to it.

Steel can be dissolved with a diluted solution of nitric acid and water. The chemical make up of nitric acid reacts to the iron in steel, producing iron nitrate and hydrogen gas. As this chemical reaction takes place, the steel begins to dissolve.
Do you know what metal it is?

Do you have access to any power tools?
Original post by BeautifulQueen
Steel can be dissolved with a diluted solution of nitric acid and water. The chemical make up of nitric acid reacts to the iron in steel, producing iron nitrate and hydrogen gas. As this chemical reaction takes place, the steel begins to dissolve.

He might be trying to break the law. Should have asked why first
I know how to do with with household chemicals or a house hold appliance that both of them everyone has and it’ll completely destroy any metal but I want to know why first like anon stated

If you're allowed this in a science lab, then you're allowed it at home.
If you're allowed this in a science lab, then you're allowed it at home.

Yes but op is breaking the law from a set of keys he stole and that’s why he wants to make them unrecognisable
Yes but op is breaking the law from a set of keys he stole and that’s why he wants to make them unrecognisable

I understand. There are many ways like feeding it to your fish and setting it free.
Reply 9
I mean but why? > I’ll tell you but I’m curious to ask why first.

I know multiple ways down from fire to household chemicals

It's a gift from someone I want to I don't talk to anymore.

Say that again in English.

:colondollar:
Original post by PQ
Do you know what metal it is?

Do you have access to any power tools?

I think it's stainless steel.

LMAOOO you guys are cracking me up:hahaha:Thanks for the laugh, man
Original post by Mapleservers
I know how to do with with household chemicals or a house hold appliance that both of them everyone has and it’ll completely destroy any metal but I want to know why first like anon stated

Yeah well I want to destroy a gift.
Say that again in English.

:colondollar:

Steel can be dissolved with a diluted solution of HNO₃ and H2O. The chemical make up of HNO₃ reacts to the Fe in steel, producing Fe(NO₃)₃ and hydrogen gas. As this chemical reaction takes place, the steel begins to dissolve.

LOOOOL😂😂 you're actually telling yourself stories😂😂 day 5 of quarantine be like:
**It's a gift from someone I don't talk to anymore.
Just cudgel it into oblivion with a hammer :rolleyes:
Do you know if that will really work?
Steel can be dissolved with a diluted solution of HNO₃ and H2O. The chemical make up of HNO₃ reacts to the Fe in steel, producing Fe(NO₃)₃ and hydrogen gas. As this chemical reaction takes place, the steel begins to dissolve.

Ha...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending