The Student Room Group

Do any year 12s need help with ALs/uni applications?

I've just finished year 13 and I have literally nothing to do, so if you need help or advice with anything ask me!! I was doing biology chemistry and spanish at A/A* level. Can also help with medicine applications or interviews if you have any questions.
Hi, it’s not medicine related, but how much do you think I should work each day? I’ve been doing class work from 9am-6pm since I broke up two weeks ago, then revision from 7pm-9pm, but I haven’t been sleeping because we’re getting set so much work every day (way more than we’d do in class) and it’s making me so anxious.
Reply 2
Original post by Beyoncebae28
Hi, it’s not medicine related, but how much do you think I should work each day? I’ve been doing class work from 9am-6pm since I broke up two weeks ago, then revision from 7pm-9pm, but I haven’t been sleeping because we’re getting set so much work every day (way more than we’d do in class) and it’s making me so anxious.

Um I think that's way too much studying, you realise we could be stuck at home for another 5 months?? You don't really need to revise at this stage because you're getting set work anyway. Maybe try to finish all your work in the morning then chill in the afternoon?
I am an oversea student from Hong Kong, and I am doing A level Biology Chemistry Maths and Further Maths. I got pretty good GCSE results (six 9s, an 8, a 7, a 6 and a 5) except for the English Language. I only got a 5 in Eng Lang, and I don't know if I should try to apply for medicine. I am planning to do IELTS, do you know if the universities will accept the IELTS results if I do well on it, and ignoring my GCSE English Language? I am really struggling to find any information about that. Thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by Lam234567
I am an oversea student from Hong Kong, and I am doing A level Biology Chemistry Maths and Further Maths. I got pretty good GCSE results (six 9s, an 8, a 7, a 6 and a 5) except for the English Language. I only got a 5 in Eng Lang, and I don't know if I should try to apply for medicine. I am planning to do IELTS, do you know if the universities will accept the IELTS results if I do well on it, and ignoring my GCSE English Language? I am really struggling to find any information about that. Thank you.

You should probably call up some unis because their English requirements are different for internationals, I think you'd have to do a second language test but I don't know which one. And lots of unis will score your gcses to rank candidates for interview so you should check that too because the 5 and 6 might drag you down, but again that's different for internationals too.
Original post by saf1554
You should probably call up some unis because their English requirements are different for internationals, I think you'd have to do a second language test but I don't know which one. And lots of unis will score your gcses to rank candidates for interview so you should check that too because the 5 and 6 might drag you down, but again that's different for internationals too.

thanks
I'm not doing any of those a-levels or planning to take medicine but my friends are. Is there anything I can do to help them with both?
Original post by PetitePanda
I'm not doing any of those a-levels or planning to take medicine but my friends are. Is there anything I can do to help them with both?

read over their personal statement
do practice interviews with them
how should i spend my easter? revising or not?
Original post by stereotypeasian
read over their personal statement
do practice interviews with them

Is there anything they should include in the personal statement? What advice would you give for the personal statement and interviews?
Reply 10
Original post by endergirl123
how should i spend my easter? revising or not?

Depends what you mean by revision, the most you should do I think is try to fill any gaps in your understanding and go over things so you don't forget. Maybe do some AS past papers.
Original post by saf1554
I've just finished year 13 and I have literally nothing to do, so if you need help or advice with anything ask me!! I was doing biology chemistry and spanish at A/A* level. Can also help with medicine applications or interviews if you have any questions.

Hiya! Do you think I should bother applying to places like Warwick that need A*AA when my predictions are A*A*BB?
Reply 12
Original post by PetitePanda
Is there anything they should include in the personal statement? What advice would you give for the personal statement and interviews?

Honesty they barely look at your personal statement so it doesn't really matter. Interview invitations are given based on gcse grades and aptitude tests, offers are given based on your interview score. Just include the usual stuff (work experience, volunteering, extra curricular) but it doesn't have to be amazing.
For interviews just practice as much as you can, the isc book is very good. I'd also recommend doing a practice MMI course but they can be pricey.
Medic portal website is great for tips on all this
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Dehydratedwhale
Hiya! Do you think I should bother applying to places like Warwick that need A*AA when my predictions are A*A*BB?

Is there any chance you can get your predicted grades changed? You might find it hard applying without minimum AAA.
Original post by saf1554

What we board did you do a level biology
Original post by saf1554

Hi I'm really struggling and I do Bio cham and maths, my teachers gave us OCR b chemistry and ocr A biology
Reply 16
Original post by ISHxxxx
What we board did you do a level biology

I did aqa for all my subjects
Original post by saf1554
Honesty they barely look at your personal statement so it doesn't really matter. Interview invitations are given based on gcse grades and aptitude tests, offers are given based on your interview score. Just include the usual stuff (work experience, volunteering, extra curricular) but it doesn't have to be amazing.
For interviews just practice as much as you can, the isc book is very good. I'd also recommend doing a practice MMI course but they can be pricey.
Medic portal website is great for tips on all this

Thank you I’ll defo recommend those to my friend

Quick Reply

Latest