The Student Room Group

My School chose our GCSE and A level subjects and idk what to do!!

Here's A little Background: I'm an 8th grader going into freshman year, Currently planning for GCSEs next year. My school just recently added the GCSE/A level curriculum and is also very new to this.
So basically we're the first generation in our school that'll be taking GCSEs/A levels.

My school doesn't want us to choose our GCSE and A level subjects, and are forcing us to take the ones they think that are right for us. Which are:
GCSEs: English, French, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics.
Which means that 6 GCSEs will be taken.

A Levels: Arabic, Mathematics, and then pick any two scientific subjects of your choice out of the main three. (which are Biology, Chemistry & Physics).
Which means that 4 A levels will be taken.

They also said that we will not be taking any GCSEs freshman year, since they want to make that year a "preparation year" so that we take all of them at once sophomore year...
Same goes for A levels. Junior year will be a "preparation year", and senior year we'll be taking all of them at once...
(BTW Arabic is extremely compulsory and we cannot change that what so ever for various reasons, so please keep that in mind).

First of all, as an aspiring Civil Engineer, I don't think that I'll need 2 scientific subjects for my A levels, I only need Physics. I'd rather take computer science instead. But my school decided that if we want to take another subject that they're not offering, we'll have to self-study it on our own and that they have nothing to do with it.
So what do you think about this??

Second, I think that the whole "Preparation year" idea is extremely stupid and that we should take some GCSEs Freshman year and A levels junior year. Because like, honestly what's the point? I actually don't even know what to say to that... What do you think I should or could do about this?

Third, I want to take computer science instead of a 2nd scientific A level subject. Do you guys think I should do it on my own? Do you think it'll be hard and I should just probably take Chemistry instead? Let me Know. (BTW if I were to take Compueter Science A level, I definitely will take GCSE Computer Science for sure).

Fourth, do you think I should self study/take more GCSEs?? I feel like 6 isn't enough… But I genuinely don't know since I'm really new to this.
What do you think?

Feel free to add anything else you think I should know! As I said I'm very new to this and I really need more info. So again, if you think there's anything a newbie in GCSEs should know, please let me know! My school isn't really helping at all so I would really appreciate it if you guys would!
Thank You for your time :smile:
Ok so basically in terms of doing the exams, your school is correct in doing them all sophomore year and senior year cause that’s exactly how it’s done in England as well! The only instances where GCSEs are done early are languages or if you’re really good at maths from what l’ve experienced otherwise you wouldn’t be doing them early. It is absurd that your school is forcing you to do science a levels but maybe that is all they can currently afford to give at the moment cause of lack of teachers or something. I would advise you to just take chemistry because at least you’ll be taught in school and it’ll be easier on you. A levels are a huge workload and it is easy just to think you’ll self study but when you find yourself with so much from the other a level subjects you won’t find as much motivation to self study regardless of how much computer science is your passion. As for the GCSEs, everyone is forced to do those 6 GCSEs anyways it’s just that you have a choice between French and Spanish. Honestly, your school should be giving you options of doing at least 10 GCSES because most people leave sophomore year with 10 not 6. It’s just that it is not going to be easy to self study whatever four else choices you have so if you want to do this (get a tutor for real). Good luck! 😌
GCSEs and A-levels are typically taken as 2 year courses, and is designed to be taught over 2 years. (in terms of the volume of content and format) There are some circumstances where an A-level is taken in a single year, (usually maths or further maths) but the school's approach is "correct" as per the above.

You can self-teach A-level CS. A lot of students wouldn't be disciplined enough to do this, but plenty are. 6 is a slightly low number, the usual is between 8 and 11. 6 shouldn't cause you many problems though. English may be taken as English Language and English Literature meaning you will get 2 GCSEs out of it (putting your total up to 7).
Original post by theprettyrainbow
Ok so basically in terms of doing the exams, your school is correct in doing them all sophomore year and senior year cause that’s exactly how it’s done in England as well! The only instances where GCSEs are done early are languages or if you’re really good at maths from what l’ve experienced otherwise you wouldn’t be doing them early. It is absurd that your school is forcing you to do science a levels but maybe that is all they can currently afford to give at the moment cause of lack of teachers or something. I would advise you to just take chemistry because at least you’ll be taught in school and it’ll be easier on you. A levels are a huge workload and it is easy just to think you’ll self study but when you find yourself with so much from the other a level subjects you won’t find as much motivation to self study regardless of how much computer science is your passion. As for the GCSEs, everyone is forced to do those 6 GCSEs anyways it’s just that you have a choice between French and Spanish. Honestly, your school should be giving you options of doing at least 10 GCSES because most people leave sophomore year with 10 not 6. It’s just that it is not going to be easy to self study whatever four else choices you have so if you want to do this (get a tutor for real). Good luck! 😌

Would disagree about the self-studying thing. While it's probably too early for the OP to know whether they'll be capable or driven enough to self-teach, since unfortunately a student's attitude can often decline (albeit with peaks towards exam time) as they progress through school. But, some students are quite independent and self-driven so would be able to find the motivation, so if they're able enough they could cope fine without a tutor.
Original post by _gcx
Would disagree about the self-studying thing. While it's probably too early for the OP to know whether they'll be capable or driven enough to self-teach, since unfortunately a student's attitude can often decline (albeit with peaks towards exam time) as they progress through school. But, some students are quite independent and self-driven so would be able to find the motivation, so if they're able enough they could cope fine without a tutor.

Very true
Reply 5
Thanks Guys!! This was really Helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest