The Student Room Group

Living at Home or in Halls ( I know I'm late:) )

Hi,
I am a very indecisive person, so much so I have only just accepted my offer to study at the University I knew I wanted anyway.
With this in mind, I now have to make another decision which is taking me just as long; whether or not to live at home or in halls.

I have a few questions some of which are probably really dumb and things I shouldn't even be considering but hey ho...

Firstly, I feel like I want to live in halls for my first year then move back second year just so I can get the experience and still come out of it with a little less debt than I would if I stayed my whole uni life. Is this a good way to do it?

Secondly, this is going to sound like a stupid question but I feel like moving into halls would make me grow apart from my current friends, which I really don't want to do. Though they are attending the same uni, they are opting for living at home. Any of you already in halls, did you still remain close with your other friends or did you make new ones and drift apart?

Thirdly, if you did decide to live at home, did you still make sure you got involved with uni life or did you feel you missed out?

Finally my mum is desperate for me to stay at home so how do I tell her about my possible decision to move away :smile: :smile:
Original post by Porgie Six
Hi,
I am a very indecisive person, so much so I have only just accepted my offer to study at the University I knew I wanted anyway.
With this in mind, I now have to make another decision which is taking me just as long; whether or not to live at home or in halls.

I have a few questions some of which are probably really dumb and things I shouldn't even be considering but hey ho...

Firstly, I feel like I want to live in halls for my first year then move back second year just so I can get the experience and still come out of it with a little less debt than I would if I stayed my whole uni life. Is this a good way to do it?

Secondly, this is going to sound like a stupid question but I feel like moving into halls would make me grow apart from my current friends, which I really don't want to do. Though they are attending the same uni, they are opting for living at home. Any of you already in halls, did you still remain close with your other friends or did you make new ones and drift apart?

Thirdly, if you did decide to live at home, did you still make sure you got involved with uni life or did you feel you missed out?

Finally my mum is desperate for me to stay at home so how do I tell her about my possible decision to move away :smile: :smile:

1. Yes, definitely do this. It's worth it for the experience and I did the same (but ended up staying out and living in a flat with friends)
2. Ultimately if you grow apart, you grow apart. It will happen regardless of where you live, if you guys want to stay friends then you will do, and you'll manage to. Many people move out for uni and stay close with friends, some drift apart because people change as they age. But this is life. I stayed close friends with some friends and drifted from others- we just changed and grew up. We're different people now on different paths. Making new ones isn't a bad thing- if anything my new friends are some of the better friends I've had!
3. Can't speak about this one
4. Tell her it is for one year and it's to gain independence and learn about being an adult. You will have to move out eventually and its better to do it when everyone is in the same boat as you can help each other, plus you are in the same city so if you need help with anything she can. Just think about why you are doing it and explain
Reply 2
So I can’t really help with past experience or anything as I am starting uni in September. But whilst my uni is within commuting distance I am definitely opting for halls for first year at least. That way I get the experience of living away from home. And then my plan is to see where it goes from there - if I have a good group of friends which I hope I will where I’m comfortable living and sharing a house with them then I will still live away. When I went to my interview for the uni they asked me whether I would be living on campus and they strongly suggested living on campus and they knew someone where even though it was only a short commute it meant it was difficult for them to make friends outside of their course and weren’t able to take part in all the other things uni students count as part of the experience I guess. (Although that could’ve been their way of saying they want my money from accommodation? 😂) I know this doesn’t answer much but I know there’s lots of people in a similar position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending