The Student Room Group

university of cambridge

this is for a friend of mine -

she’s just finished y11 (hasn’t done her gcses) and she feels like she’s mostly going to get a few 6s, a couple of 7s and some 8s. she’s going to resit her gcses in autumn (by choice) for a few subjects.

these are the gcse grades she thinks she will get:
english lang - 6/7
english lit - 7
maths - 7/8
art - 7
french - 5/6
computer science - 5/6
combined science - 8 9 (at best)
drama - D

she also did a gcse in statistics in year 10 and she got a grade 9 in that

these are the gcses she would resit:
science - if she doesn’t get at least an 88
maths - if she gets less than a 7

she’s going to revise for these gcses during the time we have off

she’s applied to do these a levels: philosophy and ethics, maths, and biology

she wants to become a biostatistician but she isn’t sure how to get there exactly. if anyone can, please answer any others questions:

- what course should you do at university? there’s maths with natural sciences but is there anything else?

- does she have to do both a masters and doctorate or can she just do a PhD after doing a bachelors degree?

- is there any route that is more based around statistics, instead of maths?

- also, is there anything anyone could advise her to do anything right now to do with her gcses, a levels and anything else she could do to make a better application, cv and personal statement?

if this helps, she’s apart of the oxbridge course and her first uni choice is cambridge.

thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
Why can't your friend post, instead of you? (just a thought)

I have just looked at the Cambridge course, and there is no subject that's just statistics. I would imagine there would be statistics in the maths courses, but she doesn't want to study maths.

Oxford offers maths and statistics, but as you say again, she doesn't want to study maths.

I have looked at the university rankings under statistics but can't find anything under that subject alone.

there seem to be courses in biostatistics, like at UCL, but they are at postgraduate level.

If she wants more specifics, we would need more information.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Why can't your friend post, instead of you? (just a thought)

I have just looked at the Cambridge course, and there is no subject that's just statistics. I would imagine there would be statistics in the maths courses, but she doesn't want to study maths.

Oxford offers maths and statistics, but as you say again, she doesn't want to study maths.

I have looked at the university rankings under statistics but can't find anything under that subject alone.

there seem to be courses in biostatistics, like at UCL, but they are at postgraduate level.

If she wants more specifics, we would need more information.

she doesn’t have an account on here and yesterday i made a post and i got some really useful feedback from it so i offered to make her a plan type of thing that i made for myself.

what type of information would you need?

she doesn’t mind if she has to do maths but she was wondering if there is any course just specifically based around statistics.

thank you
Original post by spacingoutagainx
she doesn’t have an account on here and yesterday i made a post and i got some really useful feedback from it so i offered to make her a plan type of thing that i made for myself.

what type of information would you need?

she doesn’t mind if she has to do maths but she was wondering if there is any course just specifically based around statistics.

thank you

I have just had a look for you and there is no undergrad degree at all (looking at rankings) based around just statistics. As I say, the Cambridge maths degree would, I imagine, have a statistics element to it.

https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/

As I say, if she wants to do biostatistics, there doesn't look to me to be anything like that at undergraduate level. But there is stuff at postgrad level.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I have just had a look for you and there is no undergrad degree at all (looking at rankings) based around just statistics. As I say, the Cambridge maths degree would, I imagine, have a statistics element to it.

https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/

As I say, if she wants to do biostatistics, there doesn't look to me to be anything like that at undergraduate level. But there is stuff at postgrad level.

what could she do at undergrad level in order to get to biostatistics stuff at postgrad? (she wants to do a bachelors degree, masters - if compulsory and then a PhD)

you mentioned something before about oxford, what course could she do there?

currently, she just wants to know about the different routes she can take in regards to different courses at uni and different combinations.
Original post by spacingoutagainx
what could she do at undergrad level in order to get to biostatistics stuff at postgrad? (she wants to do a bachelors degree, masters - if compulsory and then a PhD)

you mentioned something before about oxford, what course could she do there?

currently, she just wants to know about the different routes she can take in regards to different courses at uni and different combinations.

I have just found this course at Oxford: maths and statistics

www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/mathematics-and-statistics

Note there are only 13 places. I actually spoke to someone at an Oxford event once who had studied this course. He was telling me about it and he had lost me after about the second sentence. He was super keen about statistics, though.

Maybe the best route is to study maths, then do postgrad in biostatistics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending