The Student Room Group

Graduate applying for 5 year undergraduate Dentistry

Hi,
I am in my second year in my Biomedical Science BSc degree and wish to go on to study Dentistry.
I understand that the 4-year graduate-entry Dentistry degrees are funded by SFE, but there are limited places on these courses and I'm considering applying for 5-year undergraduate Dentistry degrees too, which will accept me as a graduate.
What funding options there are for graduates who wish to study 5 year standard entry Dentistry?
Is it true there is no chance of a student loan in this situation?

Thank you.
Original post by StarStarStar2
Hi,
I am in my second year in my Biomedical Science BSc degree and wish to go on to study Dentistry.
I understand that the 4-year graduate-entry Dentistry degrees are funded by SFE, but there are limited places on these courses and I'm considering applying for 5-year undergraduate Dentistry degrees too, which will accept me as a graduate.
What funding options there are for graduates who wish to study 5 year standard entry Dentistry?
Is it true there is no chance of a student loan in this situation?

Thank you.

Hi!
Currently, there is no funding available for the tuition fees for the 5-year programs as a graduate. You might be eligible for a maintenance loan though.
I have to say that the 5-year programs are more competitive than the 4 year ones so will not suggest to apply to these if your UCAT score is not competitive enough. I applied two times as a graduate with a 1st in Biomed to only 5-year programs and got rejected from all either pre or post-interview. :frown:
Original post by aspireddentist
Hi!
Currently, there is no funding available for the tuition fees for the 5-year programs as a graduate. You might be eligible for a maintenance loan though.
I have to say that the 5-year programs are more competitive than the 4 year ones so will not suggest to apply to these if your UCAT score is not competitive enough. I applied two times as a graduate with a 1st in Biomed to only 5-year programs and got rejected from all either pre or post-interview. :frown:

Hi! I thought dentistry and medicine were exceptions?
I’m sure that I decided to do dental hygiene after biomed I could get a student loan.
Ah no that’s frustrating, are you studying dentistry now? X
Hi! I thought dentistry and medicine were exceptions?
I’m sure that I decided to do dental hygiene after biomed I could get a student loan.
Ah no that’s frustrating, are you studying dentistry now? X

I didn't get a place this year:frown:
I am doing my masters now. After this, I might reapply for only graduate dentistry or maybe medicine since seems to be less competitive LOL.
I didn't get a place this year:frown:
I am doing my masters now. After this, I might reapply for only graduate dentistry or maybe medicine since seems to be less competitive LOL.

I had a conditional offer for dentistry at Liverpool for 2018 entry but I didn't get AAA :frown: the fact I succeeded at the interview gives me confidence with applying for grad entry dentistry now, on track for a first, praying I get an offer at KCL or UCLan, they are the only options. If not I will get a job, continue getting work experience, and keep reapplying every year. Its so annoying how the British education system is like this, if I had the money I could study dentistry in Spain straight from A levels with the grades I had
Graduate entry is very competitive with 69 places available. For the science graduate applying, I would say that undergraduate entry is less competitive because you have more places to compete for and as a graduate you are likely to perform better at interviews compared to those that have come out of college.

I did graduate entry dentistry and you fund part of it yourself in the first year then you are fully funded by SFE and the NHS for the other years. If you apply for an undergraduate dental course as a graduate then you have significantly reduced financial support available
Yes this is so true! I got rejected this year for both the 5-year programs from QM and Belfast post-interview with an achieved first in my BSc. This was so annowing since I thought my interview went well. :frown: And especially now that most people will enter with not actually sitting any exams but with their predicted grades.
Original post by Dentalmentoruk
Graduate entry is very competitive with 69 places available. For the science graduate applying, I would say that undergraduate entry is less competitive because you have more places to compete for and as a graduate you are likely to perform better at interviews compared to those that have come out of college.

I did graduate entry dentistry and you fund part of it yourself in the first year then you are fully funded by SFE and the NHS for the other years. If you apply for an undergraduate dental course as a graduate then you have significantly reduced financial support available

My aim is to do graduate entry dentistry for that reason, it can be funded by SFE. Where did you study graduate entry dentistry? :smile:
My aim is to do graduate entry dentistry for that reason, it can be funded by SFE. Where did you study graduate entry dentistry? :smile:

I had the option of Liverpool and UCLan. I chose UCLan and was very pleased with the experience I had there.
I think it was last year that Liverpool stopped taking on applicants for graduate entry dentistry.
I had the option of Liverpool and UCLan. I chose UCLan and was very pleased with the experience I had there.
I think it was last year that Liverpool stopped taking on applicants for graduate entry dentistry.

UCLan is my top choice. I do wish Liverpool did graduate entry because I succeeded at their interview and got an offer in 2018. I feel like I'm out of practice with interviews now though! Do you have any advice?

Hey , congratulations for getting into graduate dentistry !!! May I ask what dental school do you attend to
Yes this is so true! I got rejected this year for both the 5-year programs from QM and Belfast post-interview with an achieved first in my BSc. This was so annowing since I thought my interview went well. :frown: And especially now that most people will enter with not actually sitting any exams but with their predicted grades.

Hey , may I ask what did you score on your ucat?
Original post by Christabel__78
Hey , may I ask what did you score on your ucat?

I got 2390:frown:
Did you apply as well?
Hey , congratulations for getting into graduate dentistry !!! May I ask what dental school do you attend to

I graduated from UCLan dental school
I got 2390:frown:
Did you apply as well?

Ooh okay are you planning on reapplying this year and no not yet I’m applying on applying for 2021 entry
Ooh okay are you planning on reapplying this year and no not yet I’m applying on applying for 2021 entry

Yeah I will reapply to only graduate schools. Hopefully this time my UCAT score will be better. :wink:
Original post by Greekdentist
Yeah I will reapply to only graduate schools. Hopefully this time my UCAT score will be better. :wink:

hi did u get in and do u know what the cutoff score is required for post grad dentistry

Quick Reply

Latest