The Student Room Group

courses similar to optometry??

I want to study optometry in Scotland, but there are only 2 uni's that offer it here, so I was wondering if anyone knew any other courses in Scotland that are similar to optometry or healthcare (but not medicine). I'm also really interested in reproductive biology at Edinburgh. My higher results should be 3 A's and 2 B's btw. So if anyone knows any courses to fill up my application, that would be great!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I also want to study optometry and I understand that only 2 unis (UHI and GCU) do it, so it is competitive. My expected grades are AAABC or AAAAB at the highest (maximum is AABBB and minimum is ABBBC for gcu entry so I’m not too worried). Similar courses to optometry include: Orthoptics (eye muscles etc and I think it’s a hospital job rather than clinic I think???? And ophthalmic dispensing which is the clinic work who basically give advice on glasses and check prescriptions etc.. Dentistry is also a good one at Glasgow uni though it is competitive but you’ll need a minimum of AABB at highers in s5. Just wondering it would be nice if you did optometry (particularly at GCU) because that’s what I’m applying for after s5 I.e. applying in September this year to start in September of 2021. I think I’m gonna get 3 A’s and 2 B’s as well though. It would be nice to know someone before starting.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by StudentForSQA
Hi, I also want to study optometry and I understand that only 2 unis (UHI and GCU) do it, so it is competitive.

Who told you that only two universities have an optometry degree? All of these universities either have the option to study Optometry or a very similar course.

Anglia Ruskin
Liverpool
Plymouth
Canterbury Christ Church
UWE Bristol
City, University of London
Aston
Bradford
Manchester
Sheffield
Cardiff
Ulster
Glasgow Caledonian
Original post by AM.TSR
Who told you that only two universities have an optometry degree? All of these universities either have the option to study Optometry or a very similar course.

Anglia Ruskin
Liverpool
Plymouth
Canterbury Christ Church
UWE Bristol
City, University of London
Aston
Bradford
Manchester
Sheffield
Cardiff
Ulster
Glasgow Caledonian

Oh I think you misread hawk. The person said they wanted to study optometry in Scotland and in Scotland only 2 universities offer it.
Oh I think you misread hawk. The person said they wanted to study optometry in Scotland and in Scotland only 2 universities offer it.

Ah, no worries. It may be helpful to anyone else hoping to study Optometry in the UK so they can see which universities offer the course anyway.
Original post by AM.TSR
Ah, no worries. It may be helpful to anyone else hoping to study Optometry in the UK so they can see which universities offer the course anyway.

Yeah it is helpful. I think they should have at least 4 unis in Scotland for Optometry much like medicine and dentistry. Really unfair as Glasgow Caledonian is top uni for optometry in uk and a lot of people from abroad apply there and I’m not allowed to study outside Scotland (family reasons) so I only have like 1 chance since I’m not gonna apply at UHI as it’s too far away. Really unfair when England has so many unis doing the course but most people from abroad come to Glasgow Caledonian to do it.
Reply 6
Hi, I also want to study optometry and I understand that only 2 unis (UHI and GCU) do it, so it is competitive. My expected grades are AAABC or AAAAB at the highest (maximum is AABBB and minimum is ABBBC for gcu entry so I’m not too worried). Similar courses to optometry include: Orthoptics (eye muscles etc and I think it’s a hospital job rather than clinic I think???? And ophthalmic dispensing which is the clinic work who basically give advice on glasses and check prescriptions etc.. Dentistry is also a good one at Glasgow uni though it is competitive but you’ll need a minimum of AABB at highers in s5. Just wondering it would be nice if you did optometry (particularly at GCU) because that’s what I’m applying for after s5 I.e. applying in September this year to start in September of 2021. I think I’m gonna get 3 A’s and 2 B’s as well though. It would be nice to know someone before starting.

I’m pretty sure I will be taking a gap year because I’m like a year too young for my school year, and I would like to start when I’m 18! Sorry!!
Reply 7
Yeah it is helpful. I think they should have at least 4 unis in Scotland for Optometry much like medicine and dentistry. Really unfair as Glasgow Caledonian is top uni for optometry in uk and a lot of people from abroad apply there and I’m not allowed to study outside Scotland (family reasons) so I only have like 1 chance since I’m not gonna apply at UHI as it’s too far away. Really unfair when England has so many unis doing the course but most people from abroad come to Glasgow Caledonian to do it.

Yeah I’m pretty much the same! They really should open up more courses
Original post by hawk165
I want to study optometry in Scotland, but there are only 2 uni's that offer it here, so I was wondering if anyone knew any other courses in Scotland that are similar to optometry or healthcare (but not medicine). I'm also really interested in reproductive biology at Edinburgh. My higher results should be 3 A's and 2 B's btw. So if anyone knows any courses to fill up my application, that would be great!

Hi!

I'm Alisha a current Orthoptics Student at the University of Sheffield. Since you are looking for course in healthcare or similar to Optometry I thought I would pop in. Orthoptics is a healthcare course which focuses on the diagnosis and management of eye disorders, we work in eye clinics in hospitals and see a range of patients from babies to elderly. Our main aims are to improve patients vision and their ability for their eyes to work well together, this includes treating conditions such as diplopia (double vision) and squints. We work alongside Ophthalmologists (eye surgeons) to plan surgery for correction of squints (misalignment of the eyes) and Optometrists for the management of refractive errors and glasses. Hope this gives you a bit of an insight into another career in the area you are looking in. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions add them to my Ask me anything thread and I will reply asap - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6571874

Alisha
1st Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Quick Reply

Latest