The Student Room Group

EPQ topics

Hey I'm starting year 12 in September and am starting an EPQ, I am particularly interested in law/ethics/philosophy. These are some possible topics that I may do it on: Does altruism exist?, To what extent can law and morals be separated?, Should drug addicts be punished or treated?. I'm just wondering though are these topics too philosophical and will I struggle to find sufficient research on these areas. Thanks so much and any other possible ideas will be greatly appreciated.
What's altruism (for context)?
Original post by PetitePanda
What's altruism (for context)?

Doing something selfless, eg. giving to charity
Original post by nicolefarmerx
Doing something selfless, eg. giving to charity

I'd probably strive away from that since that seems very broad unless you can make it very very specific. 2 and 3 seems doable though. Dont worry about it being philosophical I'm doing my on jurisprudence which is legal philosophy and it's basically an open question but my supervisor hasn't told me doing an open question wasnt okay. I suggest asking your supervisor but I personally like 2
I’d avoid doing the last one, it’s not the most original and will just be compared to the other similar ones. The second one is good. The first one would work too, I like it, you’d just have to make sure you have a clear definition of altruism and narrow it a bit. Just make sure you can actually have decent sources that you can analyse because when it’s not scientific or historical etc, such as philosophy, it is very easy to write 5000 words of junk.
Original post by PetitePanda
I'd probably strive away from that since that seems very broad unless you can make it very very specific. 2 and 3 seems doable though. Dont worry about it being philosophical I'm doing my on jurisprudence which is legal philosophy and it's basically an open question but my supervisor hasn't told me doing an open question wasnt okay. I suggest asking your supervisor but I personally like 2

Thank you for your help, I think I like 2 the most too as it links the most to law which is something I may do at uni
Original post by DanaH111
I’d avoid doing the last one, it’s not the most original and will just be compared to the other similar ones. The second one is good. The first one would work too, I like it, you’d just have to make sure you have a clear definition of altruism and narrow it a bit. Just make sure you can actually have decent sources that you can analyse because when it’s not scientific or historical etc, such as philosophy, it is very easy to write 5000 words of junk.

Thanks for your help. What places would you recommend to find good sources?
Original post by nicolefarmerx
Thank you for your help, I think I like 2 the most too as it links the most to law which is something I may do at uni

Totally go for 2 because it honestly sound like an epq i would do and interesting. Law and morality is definitely really interesting to learn about and some people believe they are linked indefinitely while others think that they are separate (I would list some people but I only started looking at this area for my EPQ so I dont know much yet). Good luck for your EPQ :h:

Quick Reply

Latest