The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

why can’t i minor at Lancaster

i’m gonna study biomedical science @ Lancs this year and i was wondering why i can’t minor in another subject.

it says because of how the degree is structured but what does this even mean?

Scroll to see replies

Exactly that. Biomed is a full time degree with too much content to study something else as well.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
doing a minor is more of an American term
Reply 3
Original post by Noodlzzz
doing a minor is more of an American term

you do minors at Lancaster as well
Reply 4
Original post by Nautilus
Exactly that. Biomed is a full time degree with too much content to study something else as well.

so there are too many modules to take up anymore?
Why would you want to do more?
Reply 6
Original post by Nautilus
Why would you want to do more?

because i really love chemistry so i wanted to minor in it
Original post by Anonymous
i’m gonna study biomedical science @ Lancs this year and i was wondering why i can’t minor in another subject.

Hi anon,
Biomedical Science is a accredited degree. This means that it's approved by the Royal Society of Biomedical Scientists, and this accreditation will allow you to enter the NHS at a higher level if you wish to become a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS.
This means there's few optional modules as you have to fulfil the Royal Society's requirements. This goes for other accredited degrees like Physics.
If you want to study a minor, I'd recommend changing course to a subject like Biology as this is not accredited and so has a lot more flexibility. I'd recommend emailing: [email protected]
Hope this helpful and let me know if you have any questions.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
I just saw this - I'd recommend the Biochemistry module as it will be split between biomedical science modules and chemistry modules. This sounds like the best option for you!
Reply 9
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
I just saw this - I'd recommend the Biochemistry module as it will be split between biomedical science modules and chemistry modules. This sounds like the best option for you!

hi Charlotte!! i’ve been thinking and i think i want to switch my entire degree to biochemistry. how hard / easy would that be? is biochemistry usually too oversubscribed for me to switch? thank you so so much
hi Charlotte!! i’ve been thinking and i think i want to switch my entire degree to biochemistry. how hard / easy would that be? is biochemistry usually too oversubscribed for me to switch? thank you so so much

Hi anon,
I don't think it should be too difficult as it's within the same department and people often switch around at the start - but just get in contact with them ASAP! You can contact ugadmissions here: [email protected] or 01524 592 028.
Hi anon,
I don't think it should be too difficult as it's within the same department and people often switch around at the start - but just get in contact with them ASAP! You can contact ugadmissions here: [email protected] or 01524 592 028.

i’ve emailed the department and the ug admissions. i really feel content with this decision and hope i’ll be able to switch. have people ever been declined from switching?
also i have an unconditional for biomed and if i get AAB then i’ll get the excellence scholarship. say i get AAB and then switch to biochemistry, would my scholarship stop because my offer was for biomed? thanks so much
i’ve emailed the department and the ug admissions. i really feel content with this decision and hope i’ll be able to switch. have people ever been declined from switching?
also i have an unconditional for biomed and if i get AAB then i’ll get the excellence scholarship. say i get AAB and then switch to biochemistry, would my scholarship stop because my offer was for biomed? thanks so much

I personally don't know people who have been denied from making the switch, especially when the biochem and biomedicine courses run alongside - we're all part of the 'BIOL' department. As far as I know, the scholarship is still available for those doing biochem as well as biomedicine, but it's best to ask admissions as things might be a little different this year.
I personally don't know people who have been denied from making the switch, especially when the biochem and biomedicine courses run alongside - we're all part of the 'BIOL' department. As far as I know, the scholarship is still available for those doing biochem as well as biomedicine, but it's best to ask admissions as things might be a little different this year.

thanks so much again. i’m so worried i won’t be able to switch aha. i really really wanna study biochem & i genuinely dk what i’ll do if they don’t let me. it’s the perfect uni for me. i’m so sorry for all the questions but do you know if biochem usually gets full? thanks so so much.

also do you know how long does ug admissions / biomed & ls department take to respond?

Minors are more a thing in the Netherlands and America.
also do you know how long does ug admissions / biomed & ls department take to respond?

In general it's quite a big department so hopefully the switch will be easy. I'm not sure how long they'll take to respond, especially this year as everything's a bit more complicated and messy. Either way, try not to worry too much and just be patient!
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Minors are more a thing in the Netherlands and America.

they do minors at lancaster
In general it's quite a big department so hopefully the switch will be easy. I'm not sure how long they'll take to respond, especially this year as everything's a bit more complicated and messy. Either way, try not to worry too much and just be patient!

okay thanks so so much!

hiii sorry lol one more question.
can i switch rn or do i switch when i get to uni?
thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending