The Student Room Group

Why do we exist?

Why do we exist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Our parents wanted a child
Why do you exist? Well. you can trace the mechanics of it back to your mother and father, but if you mean for what purpose are we here, "why" is probably the wrong question.

"Why are we here?" only has some logic to it if we were put here by something for a purpose - a god or some supreme being. I don't think we were. I think quite often **** just happens.

There are, of course, many people who believe "everything happens for a reason". These people, sadly, waste an awful lot of time pondering the wrong questions when they could be doing something useful such as baking, or gardening, or trolling the Daily Mail comments section.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by macy_m
Our parents wanted a child

my parents didnt :colone:
I would say we aren't even here to advance the genome. Who allocated us that responsibility? And which neutral authority outwith ourselves actually gives a **** if we advance the human genome or just kill ourselves by gorging on butter?
those reps won't earn themselves

:beard:
Original post by billybob22
Why do we exist?

good question...

now just give me a moment to think about that, and I'll be sure to let you know xxx

:/
(edited 3 years ago)
Well I've always wondered why humans are above other animals? How did we evolve so much more than other animals? Were humans made to rule over other creatures? It's kind of strange don't you think?
that is the question
Well it was ambiguously phrased.
As a Muslm I would say we exist to worship Allah, (which is the name of our God), but we're also here to enjoy ourselves and have fun
To find peace within ourselves and attempt to live a fulfilled life. To find even an ounce of happiness in this world.

This is what I personally believe and I strive towards. There's no point wondering why we exist, it's a futile question...one which we will never know the answer to. Perhaps after death. It's normal to question this though (heck I think more about it more often than I should. Especially because there are so many cruel people out there. Abu Ghraib level type of cruelty).
This is my take and I’ve always stood by this answer.

We exist, so we are able to reach out to the hearts of all the people that affect us, in some way.

You’ll understand if you think about it🙂
Original post by TheBritishMuslim
As a Muslm I would say we exist to worship Allah, (which is the name of our God), but we're also here to enjoy ourselves and have fun

If Allah came down to Earth and spent a while living on a council estate and running odd jobs to support his family, do you think he would be for BLM, against, or relatively ambivalent?
Original post by wheelbarrow-man
If Allah came down to Earth and spent a while living on a council estate and running odd jobs to support his family, do you think he would be for BLM, against, or relatively ambivalent?

are u trying to say muslims are odd jobs council estate people? that generalisation is racist
Original post by TheBritishMuslim
are u trying to say muslims are odd jobs council estate people? that generalisation is racist

Please stop hacking in to my deep subconscious
Thanks all.

To summarise:
1. Evolution
2. No clue
3. Religion
4. Love?

So, still no answer.
I hate the fact we can’t answer the ‘Why’ questions.
I exist to have the **** taken out of my by my children. And my colleagues. And my friends.
A lot of people are giving “evolution” as the reason. But that doesn’t answer the question as to why living organisms exist or how they began to exist. It just describes the stages through which living organisms adapted to their environments after they had already begun their existence. Evolution only works if you have a self-reproducing organism to begin with. So we need to explain how that got there.

The problem is that even if you explain what caused X to exist, you just create another problem for yourself because now you have to explain why the cause exists. And the cause of that, and the cause of that... etc. Every answer just creates a new question.

Unless of course you posit an “initial cause” which had no cause of its own. Whatever that might happen to be.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending