The Student Room Group

Revision

I want to start revising for GCSE's but I don't know where to start. I'm in year 10 and I currently get around my 30s out of 80 for maths and want to get to a grade 9 so at least 70. The same goes for the sciences etc. How should I start revising and plan across the next year??
hi, I used to get 30s out of 80 in maths I'm GCSE, and somehow I was in top set out of 10 lol, I started getting better though but the highest I ever got was 50, but I really didn't prioritise maths. one way I did revise for maths was I did tons of practice papers and my school gave us absolutely loads of optional tests on certain topic areas, they were online and I printed them out so you'll be able to find them online. I also used cgp books which were really good for maths.
I literally love talking about revision so I'll try not to go on for too long but for science I used GCSE pod which were these extremely helpful videos and I made notes from them, unfortunately you have to pay for this bit my school paid for this for us. if I were to go back though, I'd use Seneca instead, I use it for my a levels now and it's amazing, if you are planning to use Seneca then I can tell you how i use it effectively because it can be used ineffectively
and in terms of starting revision, I started really early in year 10 and then kind of got worse in year 11 and then when my GCSEs were coming up it was so surreal, but I couldn't do them bc of lockdown anyway. my advice would be don't stress about revision in year 10 (apart from mocks, definitely revise for them) bit make sure you understand everything, that is vital and that is something I didn't do especially in chemistry, I had the mindset "I'll figure it out when I'm revising in year 11" and that's the wrong mindset to have. if you keep your knowledge up throughout year 10, I'm year 11 you can focus on things like examiner reports and exam technique, which is very important
Original post by maddiethorp
I literally love talking about revision so I'll try not to go on for too long but for science I used GCSE pod which were these extremely helpful videos and I made notes from them, unfortunately you have to pay for this bit my school paid for this for us. if I were to go back though, I'd use Seneca instead, I use it for my a levels now and it's amazing, if you are planning to use Seneca then I can tell you how i use it effectively because it can be used ineffectively

please may you let me know how to use Seneca effectively?
The website Corbett Maths is extremely useful :smile: (free videos and questions on each lesson of the course!)

For science, I used FreeScienceLessons on YouTube and seneca, as well as my CGP revision guide :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by laurawatt
The website Corbett Maths is extremely useful :smile: (free videos and questions on each lesson of the course!)

For science, I used FreeScienceLessons on YouTube and seneca, as well as my CGP revision guide :smile:

Thanks a lot, I'll begin using those now :smile:
Reply 7
hi, I used to get 30s out of 80 in maths I'm GCSE, and somehow I was in top set out of 10 lol, I started getting better though but the highest I ever got was 50, but I really didn't prioritise maths. one way I did revise for maths was I did tons of practice papers and my school gave us absolutely loads of optional tests on certain topic areas, they were online and I printed them out so you'll be able to find them online. I also used cgp books which were really good for maths.

Yep, CGP books are pretty awesome!
Reply 8

That'd be great, thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 9
and in terms of starting revision, I started really early in year 10 and then kind of got worse in year 11 and then when my GCSEs were coming up it was so surreal, but I couldn't do them bc of lockdown anyway. my advice would be don't stress about revision in year 10 (apart from mocks, definitely revise for them) bit make sure you understand everything, that is vital and that is something I didn't do especially in chemistry, I had the mindset "I'll figure it out when I'm revising in year 11" and that's the wrong mindset to have. if you keep your knowledge up throughout year 10, I'm year 11 you can focus on things like examiner reports and exam technique, which is very important

I started early in year 10, but then got really really lazy and stopped for like the rest of the year and that I think cost me quite a lot.:frown:
Original post by FlyTooHigh
Thanks a lot, I'll begin using those now :smile:

Also for maths especially, past papers are very useful - once you complete one (in timed conditions preferably), mark it and look at the topics of the questions you didn’t score full marks on and revisit those topics completely and then try those questions again :smile:

And with science, I felt I knew a topic/lesson well enough when I could explain it without any notes or anything. Once you understand it like that, you can start to apply it to unfamiliar contexts like the exam questions will be :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest