The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

MBChB Entrance

Hi guys.
I’m really anxious about applying for medicine because I’m not sure I’m going to get in!
I’m applying through widened access (Highers at AAAB)
I currently have 4 National 5’s at ABCC, 5 Highers at AAAAB (Including Biology and Chemistry) and one Advanced Higher at B.

I have 1, week long, work experience at a GP Practice, and I hope to get another 2 and maybe some long term volunteering work.
I’m trying to study for the UCAT at least once a day for 2 hours, still anxious tho.
Anyone got any advice? Tips? Anything lol?...
Hi, with ucat dont burn yourself out or use up all your resources to soon. I am doing 45 mins a day till 1auguest then 1h a day till augeuest 16 then i satrt my practice tests so they will be 2h a day
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, with ucat dont burn yourself out or use up all your resources to soon. I am doing 45 mins a day till 1auguest then 1h a day till augeuest 16 then i satrt my practice tests so they will be 2h a day

Thank you, what do you think of my grades?
Original post by tom_hammell.jnr
Hi guys.
I’m really anxious about applying for medicine because I’m not sure I’m going to get in!
I’m applying through widened access (Highers at AAAB)
I currently have 4 National 5’s at ABCC, 5 Highers at AAAAB (Including Biology and Chemistry) and one Advanced Higher at B.

I have 1, week long, work experience at a GP Practice, and I hope to get another 2 and maybe some long term volunteering work.
I’m trying to study for the UCAT at least once a day for 2 hours, still anxious tho.
Anyone got any advice? Tips? Anything lol?...

Work on your UCAT a lot and aim for 690+ avg and a band 1 SJT. Dependant on your socioeconomic background, you may be suitable to apply for widening access courses or pre clinical years. Looking at your highers, I would think about ruling out the University of Glasgow for the 5 year MBChB, they tend to accept only 5As first sitting plus a good UCAT and 2 advanced highers. I’ve heard Aberdeen are the most accessible in scotland. Once again you will need a strong UCAT and also a strong PS to gain an interview, then you will need to do well in the aforementioned interview. Edinburgh is also a good place to apply. You should apply for the 6 year preclinical medical course. This has slightly more attainable entry requirements, again you will need to get a good to very good UCAT score, preferably >700, and a really good personal statement. Note that Edinburgh do not do interviews so their only real idea of what you are like as a person is via your personal statement.
I would also look at increasing your volunteering hours, may set you apart from the competition, and with med applications any little bonus is worth a lot.
Finally I would suggest not to do an undergrad then apply for GEM. This route is far more difficult, expensive and competitive. If it comes to it, take a gap year and use it wisely.
The take home message here is apply strategically and really try to aim for a great UCAT score

Best of luck with your application
Original post by Lewis T K
Work on your UCAT a lot and aim for 690+ avg and a band 1 SJT. Dependant on your socioeconomic background, you may be suitable to apply for widening access courses or pre clinical years. Looking at your highers, I would think about ruling out the University of Glasgow for the 5 year MBChB, they tend to accept only 5As first sitting plus a good UCAT and 2 advanced highers. I’ve heard Aberdeen are the most accessible in scotland. Once again you will need a strong UCAT and also a strong PS to gain an interview, then you will need to do well in the aforementioned interview. Edinburgh is also a good place to apply. You should apply for the 6 year preclinical medical course. This has slightly more attainable entry requirements, again you will need to get a good to very good UCAT score, preferably >700, and a really good personal statement. Note that Edinburgh do not do interviews so their only real idea of what you are like as a person is via your personal statement.
I would also look at increasing your volunteering hours, may set you apart from the competition, and with med applications any little bonus is worth a lot.
Finally I would suggest not to do an undergrad then apply for GEM. This route is far more difficult, expensive and competitive. If it comes to it, take a gap year and use it wisely.
The take home message here is apply strategically and really try to aim for a great UCAT score

Thank you very much, this reply is very helpful, do you think Edinburgh is an option? The entry requirements require AAABB and Two Advanced Highers at CC I’d only have one at A (in music) in which I’ve got 2 A’s so I’m pretty sure I’ll get another! Would one at A account for two at CC?

I also only have Chemistry at higher A and Biology at Higher A, I don’t have a 3rd science.
Thank you very much, this reply is very helpful, do you think Edinburgh is an option? The entry requirements require AAABB and Two Advanced Highers at CC I’d only have one at A (in music) in which I’ve got 2 A’s so I’m pretty sure I’ll get another! Would one at A account for two at CC?

I think Edinburgh is still an option. It may be a bit more difficult than Aberdeen and St Andrews (6 year), but I still think you may have a shot. Remember a lot is based on your UCAT. Think of it as important as your academic requirements. If you get a 700 avg and a band 1, I think every Scottish medical school will be open to you, maybe I’m omitting Glasgow.
Best thing to do is phone Edinburgh directly and ask them what your chances are. You need to be strategic when applying to medical schools, and finding out directly from the university where you stand is a good way to start
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Your grades look good. I’d make sure you look around and apply strategically to give you the best advantage but as stated, a lot will depend on your UCAT.

Take it steady with the prep, try not to fall into the habit of ‘intense’ revision for hours. Again, as mentioned, it’s really easy to burn out by doing too much! Slow and steady but consistent prep will work. If you get closer to your exam and feel you need the extra prep, you can always increase for the final push.

Strong UCAT is definitely key though. Aim for 700 average, band 1 and you’ll be a very competitive candidate!

Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tom_hammell.jnr
Thank you, what do you think of my grades?

I think 4 hrs of study a day for such a life changing test is totally plausible... And you shouldn't be suffering from burnout, i wouldn't advise just doing 45 mins a day... (I'm a graduate not of medicine but a Russell group).... Nonetheless you would likely study 2-4 hrs a day 6 weeks before an exam at uni, and over the exam period 4 weeks before 6-8 hrs isn't uncommon.

4 hrs and then 6 hrs in the final two week's is a much more realistic strategy. 45 mins a day and then a mere two hrs sounds like horrible advice.
I think Edinburgh is still an option. It may be a bit more difficult than Aberdeen and St Andrews (6 year), but I still think you may have a shot. Remember a lot is based on your UCAT. Think of it as important as your academic requirements. If you get a 700 avg and a band 1, I think every Scottish medical school will be open to you, maybe I’m omitting Glasgow.
Best thing to do is phone Edinburgh directly and ask them what your chances are. You need to be strategic when applying to medical schools, and finding out directly from the university where you stand is a good way to start

You’re really helpful mate, thank you very much. :smile:
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I think 4 hrs of study a day for such a life changing test is totally plausible... And you shouldn't be suffering from burnout, i wouldn't advise just doing 45 mins a day... (I'm a graduate not of medicine but a Russell group).... Nonetheless you would likely study 2-4 hrs a day 6 weeks before an exam at uni, and over the exam period 4 weeks before 6-8 hrs isn't uncommon.

4 hrs and then 6 hrs in the final two week's is a much more realistic strategy. 45 mins a day and then a mere two hrs sounds like horrible advice.

With all due respect, unless you have studied for the UCAT yourself or know anything about it, you are probably not on the best position to give advice. The UCAT is an aptitude test, not a knowledge test, and is not really comparable to a uni exam. The purpose of preparing for it is to get familiar with the exam format and type of questions and spending 6 hours a day is completely unnecessary and counterproductive.
Reply 11
With all due respect, unless you have studied for the UCAT yourself or know anything about it, you are probably not on the best position to give advice. The UCAT is an aptitude test, not a knowledge test, and is not really comparable to a uni exam. The purpose of preparing for it is to get familiar with the exam format and type of questions and spending 6 hours a day is completely unnecessary and counterproductive.

Completely agree. If anything, excessive revision decreases your skill and ability to answer the questions. The test itself is 2 hours long, I’d be hesitant to extend revision further than this in a sitting.

Have you taken it? 🙄 😂. You can never study too much lol. Alot of people made that mistake on the GMAT... That's the last aptitude test I've taken.... I scored higher then all of my buddies who took a more relaxed approach. It only takes getting stressed because you haven't hammered something into your brain and you lose lots of ground quickly. Especially if it's timed.

But admittedly everyone's mind works different and i don't know what's on the UCAT specifically. I'm just a firm believer in push it rather than risk it.

And i will give you a word of advice when you actually go to uni, get used to 8 hr sessions 😂.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Have you taken it? 🙄 😂. You can never study too much lol. Alot of people made that mistake on the GMAT... That's the last aptitude test I've taken.... I scored higher then all of my buddies who took a more relaxed approach. It only takes getting stressed because you haven't hammered something into your brain and you lose lots of ground quickly. Especially if it's timed.

But admittedly everyone's mind works different and i don't know what's on the UCAT specifically. I'm just a firm believer in push it rather than risk it.

And i will give you a word of advice when you actually go to uni, get used to 8 hr sessions 😂.

Yes, I have taken it (and did very well). And I finished uni 5 years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending