The Student Room Group

Which A levels do most apprenticeships look for

I'm struggling to pick my last Alevel option after maths and business and I'm trying to decide between a science subject (bio or physics) or an essay based subject (history ,theology or English language).
Can anyone advise or know which Alevels would be useful for any apprenticeship?
Thank you!
Hi, it really depends on what kind of apprenticeships you want to do so it's a good idea to look at current vacancies for higher level apprenticeships to know exactly what you should do. What I've generally found though is that STEM subjects like maths and physics are asked for a lot of engineering and are preferred for IT and other careers related to technology. As you're already doing maths, you should be fine with just that but physics is a good subject to do - as long as you enjoy it and think you can do well in it. Business is another good subject just because it teaches you a bit about management, which is good if those are the kind of apprenticeships you want. The combination of business and maths means that you'd probably have a pretty good application to accounting and finance apprenticeships.

I would say that you've already chosen 2 really good A-levels for apprenticeships and you should just pick whatever you think you would most enjoy and get the highest grade in. You should do physics if you want to do engineering but other than that, it doesn't matter. STEM subjects are generally more suited to apprenticeships as you are unlikely to need to write essays or anything in work but humanities do teach you other useful skills and if you prefer them then they wouldn't be a problem on your CV if you have the right grades.
Original post by Melirose
Hi, it really depends on what kind of apprenticeships you want to do so it's a good idea to look at current vacancies for higher level apprenticeships to know exactly what you should do. What I've generally found though is that STEM subjects like maths and physics are asked for a lot of engineering and are preferred for IT and other careers related to technology. As you're already doing maths, you should be fine with just that but physics is a good subject to do - as long as you enjoy it and think you can do well in it. Business is another good subject just because it teaches you a bit about management, which is good if those are the kind of apprenticeships you want. The combination of business and maths means that you'd probably have a pretty good application to accounting and finance apprenticeships.

I would say that you've already chosen 2 really good A-levels for apprenticeships and you should just pick whatever you think you would most enjoy and get the highest grade in. You should do physics if you want to do engineering but other than that, it doesn't matter. STEM subjects are generally more suited to apprenticeships as you are unlikely to need to write essays or anything in work but humanities do teach you other useful skills and if you prefer them then they wouldn't be a problem on your CV if you have the right grades.

Thank you, this really helps!

Quick Reply

Latest