The Student Room Group

July/September 2020 DWP EO Work Coach Applications - North East

So I’m a recent social work grad and I’ve just applied for the Work Coach role.. anyone else?

Done the verbal reasoning and judgement tests, and got 85% VR but only 50% SJ (despite being above average in examples/test Qs)...

Just wondering if anyone else has applied as I suspect it’s the process will be long, drawn out and with lots of anxious waiting haha :smile:

- would really appreciate any pearls of wisdom? Thank you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you. I’ve dealt with some pretty harrowing - and diverse- stuff while on placement in my degree, so fingers crossed!!!

I’ve submitted two answers with regard to Communicating & Influencing and also Managing a quality service - please could I send you what I wrote in a private message, to see what you think? I tried to base my answers on EO description in Behaviour success profile... but who knows. Not feeling confident with my 50% SJT score...

I know in the interview (if I get that far!!!) it’s blended, so strengths based and competencies above plus decision making...

Edit: and no worries if you can’t be assed with PMs haha.
Hi
I have applied for the HO roles for north east and north central so basically I’ll be managing work coaches. I find out my results this week. Apparently it’s guna be a fast process as they want people to start in September
Original post by Anisablue
Hi
I have applied for the HO roles for north east and north central so basically I’ll be managing work coaches. I find out my results this week. Apparently it’s guna be a fast process as they want people to start in September

Good luck :smile:
Thanks
Any question I’m happy to help I’m currently a civil servant at EO grade
Thanks

Thanks :smile: my application is in and deadline is 23:55 today - did the VR and SJT and passed, and got to submit my two written answers/examples.

I guess my next question is how long I should I expect to hear re. whether or not I have been successful and will get an interview invite?

The selection process guidance reads like the interview will consist of strengths based questions and competency based questions that are recorded and you submit them? Is that just down to covid19, or have I misunderstood and it will be a Live video interview with panel members linked in?

I honestly don’t do well in interviews - nerves really get the better of me, regardless of prep. It’s very frustrating as in my roles I am definitely confident and do them well.. I’ve kind of got a handle on why - because there’s something riding on it for me.. but my mind goes blank. I’m going to speak to the careers people at my uni as they provide support for up to 2 years post graduation.. it’s very frustrating. Worked super hard to get my degree (first class honours, and even had my 4th child in the middle of it!) and I just fall flat on my face in interviews! Even primark, ASDA and sky wouldn’t have me! Haha :frown:
Well I’m hoping this should be an easier experience for you then as you won’t be face to face with interviewer. Soo north central region are a bit ahead of yours so after the closing date people heard back about a interview within 3 days. They did not mark the competency answers in your application and just went by your test scores which is normal for a large recruitment exercise. They then give you about a week to send over location preference. After that you are emailed a link where you will record your interview. It is just pre recorded questions asked to you. You have about 5 days to get this completed. After that it’s just a waiting game and not sure how long it will take to hear back

The interview it’s self is blended so this is competency based questions and strength ones. Strength questions are easier as they should just come naturally they don’t want just a yes or no answer you have to say what you think about the statement and give a brief example. An example of a strength question is - what does leadership mean to you ?

Remember when answering your questions use the star menthol, we are interested in your actions what YOU did , why and what’s the impact or result.

Hope this helps
Well I’m hoping this should be an easier experience for you then as you won’t be face to face with interviewer. Soo north central region are a bit ahead of yours so after the closing date people heard back about a interview within 3 days. They did not mark the competency answers in your application and just went by your test scores which is normal for a large recruitment exercise. They then give you about a week to send over location preference. After that you are emailed a link where you will record your interview. It is just pre recorded questions asked to you. You have about 5 days to get this completed. After that it’s just a waiting game and not sure how long it will take to hear back

The interview it’s self is blended so this is competency based questions and strength ones. Strength questions are easier as they should just come naturally they don’t want just a yes or no answer you have to say what you think about the statement and give a brief example. An example of a strength question is - what does leadership mean to you ?

Remember when answering your questions use the star menthol, we are interested in your actions what YOU did , why and what’s the impact or result.

Hope this helps

Thanks, all helpful. I got 85% on VR and 50% on SJT, so I think my SJT score may let me down - even in offers as I know it’s all done fairly/on merit.

Ah well!! Can only do my best haha, but will be great to really have the opportunity to have a good think and prep my answers before submitting. Will be so beneficial for me.
(edited 3 years ago)
I applied for the EO work coach in Scotland. I done my video interview on Sunday. I’m not confident I’ll get the job though. I was super nervous during the interview and I think I got muddled up a few times, stumbled over my words and probably spoke too fast. Total disaster.

I currently work as a civil servant at AO level for HMRC. Not sure I’ve done enough to get accepted for EO.
Original post by GloomyBear258
I applied for the EO work coach in Scotland. I done my video interview on Sunday. I’m not confident I’ll get the job though. I was super nervous during the interview and I think I got muddled up a few times, stumbled over my words and probably spoke too fast. Total disaster.

I currently work as a civil servant at AO level for HMRC. Not sure I’ve done enough to get accepted for EO.

How long did you wait to hear about a interview invite after the closing date?

How does the video interview work? Are you able to see the questions beforehand/are you able to watch back and re-record if you aren’t happy before submitting?

Fingers crossed for you - I think it’s easy to be too critical of yourself, and you inevitably think of how you could have better answered the questions etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
I only waited a couple of days for the link to my interview and then had 5 days to submit it. There is a practice question that you can watch back and re-record as many times as you like. You can’t do this when you begin the proper interview though. You only get to record it once and you can’t watch it back or anything. The question is asked and you get up to 30 seconds to think before it starts recording. There is also a timer when giving your answer so keep an eye on that as you only get up to 3 minutes to give an answer sometimes less. Definitely. I think it’s probably natural to think about what you could have said lol
I only waited a couple of days for the link to my interview and then had 5 days to submit it. There is a practice question that you can watch back and re-record as many times as you like. You can’t do this when you begin the proper interview though. You only get to record it once and you can’t watch it back or anything. The question is asked and you get up to 30 seconds to think before it starts recording. There is also a timer when giving your answer so keep an eye on that as you only get up to 3 minutes to give an answer sometimes less. Definitely. I think it’s probably natural to think about what you could have said lol

Thanks 😊 I suspect I’ll do pap too - I failed a Sky interview via this method haha
Thanks

Hi anisa I applied on the 8th of July been nearly 10 days and the status is still “application received” does it usually take this long for an interview? Applied for London. Getting a little worried!
Thanks

Hi anisa I applied on the 8th of July been nearly 10 days and the status is still “application received” does it usually take this long for an interview? Applied for London. Getting a little worried!

Well done I’m sure you done well. I applied on the the 8th of July for London. Still haven’t received any interview yet. Application just says “received” did you apply for London? Feeling worried now... been over a week
No I wouldn’t be as London is the largest recruitment campaign more than the rest of the regions so could take a bit longer, I applied for the Ho dwp roles interviewing finished last week was told results would be out this week but still nothing . That’s civil service for you very slow and don’t stick to plans
No I wouldn’t be as London is the largest recruitment campaign more than the rest of the regions so could take a bit longer, I applied for the Ho dwp roles interviewing finished last week was told results would be out this week but still nothing . That’s civil service for you very slow and don’t stick to plans

Yeah you’re right. They are known to be quite slow! The job post did advertise 1000 roles for London alone... I guess i just need to be patient lol
I think they will take into consideration that you will be nervous. How many questions where there? And if you don’t mind me asking...what kind of questions? Did they say when you should hope to hear back if you’ve been successful or not? Thanks
It’s pre recorded not a person interviewing
6 questions in total I believe and no idea when we should hear back
Original post by Olivia2607
I think they will take into consideration that you will be nervous. How many questions where there? And if you don’t mind me asking...what kind of questions? Did they say when you should hope to hear back if you’ve been successful or not? Thanks

Unsure if you’re talking to me or GloomyBear (I presume the latter)

Anyway, I haven’t had an interview invite yet - though it’s only been 2 working days since the closing date. Fingers crossed I hear back whether or not I’ve got an interview this week. Eek!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending