The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Ask a UAL Student Ambassador

Hello and welcome to our Ask a UAL Student Ambassador thread!

Whether you’ve received a place, already applied, or are thinking about applying to UAL, post any questions you have here and our Student Ambassadors will do their best to answer :biggrin:

A little intro to our Ambassador currently running this thread:

Name: Tegan
Course: BA Fashion History and Theory, Central Saint Martins

Hello, my name is Tegan and I am a second-year Fashion History and Theory Student at Central Saint Martins (CSM). I moved to London last year to study my art foundation at CSM, moving to London has always been a dream of mine and it hasn't disappointed! There are so many opportunities for you at University, regardless of where you are. One of my favourite things about UAL is how it is made up of 6 different colleges, this means you get to meet people doing a diverse range of courses and you also are given access to all the libraries.

I am here to help if you have any questions 🙂
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi Hannah!
I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about your experiences at both uni's.
I'm a painter and sculptor.
I'm struggling to decide where to go as I enjoy experimental work & both of the campuses are beautiful.
Can you tell me about what the teachers/tutors are like and the class atmosphere?
Do you think much will change for 1st years?

Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello, Student Ambassadors and thank you for your time!
I've got a couple of questions for you.

Where (except TSR and Facebook) can one find other students of UAL?
How long approximately does it take for the UAL selection panel to review a funding application?
Is it possible to finish all enrolment procedures (getting ID cards for example) before the actual start day of the course to avoid the chaos on the first day?
How was your last couple of months? Was online education going smoothly?
Hey @Ponizo,

No worries, I hope we are of help!

In response to your question regarding where to find other UAL students, if you're talking about before you enrol at your college, I think TSR and Facebook are the best places (as you mentioned), from here people tend to find their future course mates and then create group chats on Instagram or other social media platforms. Once you're enrolled at UAL I think the best place for meeting new people is at UAL halls, art or fashion events and the canteens and libraries on all the campuses.

I'm sorry but I can't be very helpful regarding funding as it depends what sort of funding you're applying for. All funding applications require you to respond to different questions and thus take different amounts of preparation. There is a UAL Funding Advice page which can give you some more information here and one on scholarships if you're eligible for one.

In terms of enrolment, you have to enrol before you can start your course, therefore you tend to enrol around a week before your course start date, making your first day run nice and smoothly! You will be sent all the information regarding enrolment nearer the time but you can check out UAL's enrolment procedure here to ease your mind.

I think the last couple of months have been a little crazy for everyone and every student has had a different experience! I study Fashion History and Theory so my course does not rely on studio space thus the transition to online teaching was relatively smooth, once we'd all got use to the new technologies! I however have really missed seeing everyone and being at university!

I hope I've helped to answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for me to expand on anything or go into anything in more detail.

Kindest,

Tegan :smile:
UAL Student Rep
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by bexmunday
Hi Hannah!
I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about your experiences at both uni's.
I'm a painter and sculptor.
I'm struggling to decide where to go as I enjoy experimental work & both of the campuses are beautiful.
Can you tell me about what the teachers/tutors are like and the class atmosphere?
Do you think much will change for 1st years?

Thanks!

Hiya @bexmunday! :smile:

Are you asking about the BA Fine Art courses at CSM and at Chelsea? I've linked the details for the course structure for both courses for you to make a careful comparison if you haven't seen these pages already.

In my opinion, both courses are well-suited to making experimental work and both are very reputable! I suppose if it's about making a decision between those two, if you haven't already, maybe think about alternative questions - like what kind of location you might prefer, perhaps transport links, the size of the colleges (CSM being a lot larger than Chelsea), where you might live, etc. as a starting point? These aspects of student life are just as important as the course itself!

So you might know this already, but I think the most obvious difference between the BA Fine Art course structures at CSM and Chelsea are the pathways. At CSM, students are taught within four pathways: 2D, 3D, 4D and XD. From talking to friends on the course, I think there is the opportunity to work quite freely within these pathways, responding to a 'form' of practice, rather than a set medium. This might be good if you like working within some kind of structure/boundaries. I have close friends in 2D and XD, and they make paintings/films, and paintings/mosaics/sculpture/film, respectively (despite what the name of the pathway suggests!). I’ve asked them to give me their take on the course, so if I get any more of their opinion I’ll let you know here, but I know that they really enjoy it, and they like being in a big, modern, busy building with such an array of courses around them! I did my Foundation at CSM Archway, but used the King's Cross campus a lot for the library etc, and I really enjoyed the busy atmosphere, and I joined a lot of societies and clubs where I ended up meeting people from all different colleges.

At Chelsea there isn’t a pathway structure. I think this is interpreted as an emphasis on ideas - however, it generally just means that people often have a fluid approach to their practice, working across media/in different ways. Of course, this doesn’t mean to say that you can’t work with ‘traditional’ methods of art-making, or just stick to one medium, if you prefer. For me, it has meant that the nature of the course is quite receptive to a diverse range of practices - e.g. I’m a sculptor, but I also work with a collective where I do mostly performative work!

My experience of the tutors at Chelsea has actually been really positive. Like anything, you get out of it what you put in. So even if you’re a bit stuck, or unsure of your current direction, if you come to a tutorial with ideas or things you are thinking about, the tutors are usually able to give you some references or help you to figure out where you want to go next. There is an emphasis on independent artistic practice, but with the tutor support available to you. You will have more support in the first year, and less as you progress through the course as you naturally become more independent. However tutors are usually really happy for you to reach out to them or send them an email if you need extra support or advice! As far as I know, next year due to Covid-19, lectures and artist talks are likely to be all online, but the tutors are hopeful that we will have proper access to the studios, facilities and the library - there might be some restrictions in terms of how many people can be in at once or when, and tutor groups might be smaller, but nothing has been confirmed yet and we’re still waiting to hear. I’m hoping that this won’t have much impact on our work as long as we manage our time well! I can't say in regard to things like Freshers' week etc, I think there are a lot of plans still being made!

Chelsea as a college is smaller and there are less courses/students, which I actually really like because I love the building, and it feels a bit more intimate and peaceful. I think that the first year structure has changed a little bit from when I was in first year, but the tutors remain largely the same and there is still the opportunity to do an off-site show I believe, something which is a large part of being a Fine Art student at Chelsea - you are actively encouraged to curate and participate in external shows, and this counts towards your credits too! I think this is usually part of Easter/Summer term - I think unfortunately at this stage there isn’t enough information yet about whether/when this will still happen because of Covid-19, but fingers crossed! If you have any specific questions about the size of the course/specifics about first year, I would suggest using the portal here to get in touch!

The studios at Chelsea are designed to be an open, communicative, fluid space. You’re usually given an area of the studio with a group of students, and then it’s up to you how you use that space between you - you’re not given a set area, rather, use the space how you need it in relation to your practice. Some digital artists who mostly need a computer might just need a desk and a bit of a wall, whereas someone else might make large floor-based works. It’s about being flexible and out of this comes a really interesting mix of practices in the same space, and it’s a great way to get to know each other, and even create the opportunity for collaboration. I’ve got to know people across the course this way. Also, in second year you will get the opportunity to work collectively, and this can be really wonderful for coming out of your comfort zone - I also made some of my closest friends in this time.
The thing about UAL is that it is all one university, so you can meet people from across colleges and use the other libraries, perhaps if there is a book you want somewhere else or you just want a change of scene! For example, I live closer to CSM so I sometimes I’ll go there for their library and coffee! :smile:

I hope this was helpful & not too much of a lengthy read - of course I’ll be here if you want me to elaborate more or answer more questions! And perhaps Tegan can tell you more about her experience of CSM in general!

- Hannah
UAL Student Rep
(edited 3 years ago)
hi tegan! i've got an offer for fashion history & theory so i wondered if you could give an overview of your favourite and least favourite things about the course? :smile: or anything i should keep in mind?
Original post by ritahayworth
hi tegan! i've got an offer for fashion history & theory so i wondered if you could give an overview of your favourite and least favourite things about the course? :smile: or anything i should keep in mind?

Hey Rita,

Congratulations on your offer for Fashion History and Theory (FHT)!

My favourite part of my first term was getting involved with the White Show, the fashion show which showcases the work of all the first year design students. (I'm not sure how this will run this year because of Covid but I'm sure something equally beneficial will be arranged!) We were paired up with a design student, from one of the pathways, and had to do a presentation on their design and research process. I really enjoyed this as it was a collaborative project which involved: interviewing the student, looking through their sketchbooks, doing further research on their themes and concepts, presenting our findings and then getting to see their final work on the catwalk.

Throughout the year I have also really enjoyed our fashion theory sessions. For these I recommend you read the set texts really closely, make notes and are prepared to get involved in the discussion. Every comment or question is valid!!

I wouldn't have thought this at the start of the year but I actually really enjoyed writing all my essays! (I may not have said that at the time either but retrospectively I found them super interesting) The course follows the chronology of fashion from renaissance to present day so each essay covered a very different theme and topic. You have enough time to do pretty thorough research and can pick the question which appeals to you most and really get immersed in it.

As you're probably aware this is quite a small course in comparison to other courses at CSM. As well as getting to know your peers I really recommend you try and branch out and chat to people from the other Fashion Communication pathways and other students in general. This really helps to enrich your university experience.

First year is quite full on and there is a lot of information to digest. You will not remember everything (I certainly haven't!!) but be prepared to make lots of notes and really engage in class. The library (in person and online) is an amazing resource and paramount for this course.

This years fashion graduates had their work showcased on Show Studio there are some super interesting panel discussions (which FHT students feature in) which you can check out here.

I hope you have a great summer (make sure to do the summer reading, if there is one this year!).

Hopefully that gives you a bit of an insight into the course and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep
Reply 7
Thank you for your answer!

Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hey @Ponizo

UAL Student Rep
Reply 8
Actually, I have one more question for Zoe or Hannah, or both of you.)

If I got that right, returning students will continue their education in September. Have you got any info regarding how will it happen for you regarding the studio spaces and workshops? I've got email from UAL saying that we will have blended learning but maybe you already got a kind of schedule or more specific info about your courses. If you don't mind sharing.) I am just curious about what will it look like since my course relies heavily on workshops.
Original post by Ponizo
Actually, I have one more question for Zoe or Hannah, or both of you.)

If I got that right, returning students will continue their education in September. Have you got any info regarding how will it happen for you regarding the studio spaces and workshops? I've got email from UAL saying that we will have blended learning but maybe you already got a kind of schedule or more specific info about your courses. If you don't mind sharing.) I am just curious about what will it look like since my course relies heavily on workshops.

Hi Ponizo,

I hope you are well! In regards to my course as I know so far is that it will blended between online activities and on site learning where we can use the facilities, workshops, and library's etc.

It has been mentioned about booking slots in the workshop to go alongside social distancing measures, but of course this could be subject to change and may be different when term time starts again!

My understanding is that it will be a mixed blend of online and workshop access to respond to the governments guidelines of social distancing but that's all I currently know at this stage I'm afraid.

Hope that gives you some insight please let me know if you have anymore questions,

Zoe :biggrin:
UAL Student Rep

Hope that
Hi Hannah,

Earlier on this year I was offered a place to study BA (hons) Fine Art at Chelsea College starting later this year. I will be going to live at Glassyard. This is my first Degree and my first time going to university. At times, I honestly feel a bit overwhelmed with all the changes that it will bring to my life (I know that this whole experience will be very formative to myself as a person) and how far I have come in the last couple of years. It will also be my first time living independently (I currently live with my guy and have never really had a truly independent experience at living life). From what I understand, I'll be getting my own studio room but I'll be sharing a kitchen area with up to 6 other people. I have some questions on life in halls and life at university;

1. How did you find it transitioning from college to university; was it a daunting process getting into the mode of the first year of your Degree in Fine Art at all? What kinds of projects did you do in your first year?
2. Did you ever feel unsafe travelling between halls and the campus site and do you have any tips on staying safe in London?
3. How manageable have you found it to work and study at the same time while going from success to success in your courses at the UAL?
4. Is it noisy living in halls; how helpful did you find staff in dealing with any complaints? Did anyone lose their place in the halls due to poor behaviour? Would you say that your experiences living with people in halls has generally been a positive experience?
5. I read in a review that Glassyard is a freezing cold building in the Winter and a roasting hot one in the Summer. Is this true?
HI i wanted to find out what the difference between film practices and film and television is
HI i wanted to find out what the difference between film practices and film and television is
Original post by Anonymous

Hello,

The BA Film Practice course is very much focussed on film production, and has been particularly developed for students interested in fictional or documentary independent film practice. They also have a strong emphasis on single-camera digital production.

The BA Film and Television is more broad, looking at the different practices/mediums and converging approaches. This course also looks concepts, history and theory behind the industry.

Both courses are highly practice based, with some aspects of theory and culture. If you are more interested in the theory side, you might also look at BA Hons Film and Screen Studies (which has much less practical components). These courses are all part of the Screen School at London College of Communication.

Check out the UAL Graduate Showcase which launches tonight! You can see work from all our courses here.

Best wishes,

Sian
Is there a clearing number for this year?
Original post by murplemorph
Is there a clearing number for this year?

Hi @murplemorph,

We are not publishing a phone number - all conversations will be done via a Live Chat which will be live from 8am on 13 August. If you wish to apply through Clearing, you can visit a course page and fill in the self-apply form. You can find out which places have availability here: arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/clearing/courses

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team
Original post by Feastful
Hi Hannah,

Earlier on this year I was offered a place to study BA (hons) Fine Art at Chelsea College starting later this year. I will be going to live at Glassyard. This is my first Degree and my first time going to university. At times, I honestly feel a bit overwhelmed with all the changes that it will bring to my life (I know that this whole experience will be very formative to myself as a person) and how far I have come in the last couple of years. It will also be my first time living independently (I currently live with my guy and have never really had a truly independent experience at living life). From what I understand, I'll be getting my own studio room but I'll be sharing a kitchen area with up to 6 other people. I have some questions on life in halls and life at university;

1. How did you find it transitioning from college to university; was it a daunting process getting into the mode of the first year of your Degree in Fine Art at all? What kinds of projects did you do in your first year?
2. Did you ever feel unsafe travelling between halls and the campus site and do you have any tips on staying safe in London?
3. How manageable have you found it to work and study at the same time while going from success to success in your courses at the UAL?
4. Is it noisy living in halls; how helpful did you find staff in dealing with any complaints? Did anyone lose their place in the halls due to poor behaviour? Would you say that your experiences living with people in halls has generally been a positive experience?
5. I read in a review that Glassyard is a freezing cold building in the Winter and a roasting hot one in the Summer. Is this true?

Hi @Feastful!
Thanks for your questions! I can completely understand you feeling a little overwhelmed - it’s a new chapter in your life and that can be daunting! I went through much of the same worries as you, and moving to halls was my first time living independently as well. I’ll go through and respond to your questions as best as I can:

1) Transitioning from my Foundation Diploma to my BA course felt like it should be scary, but I think my experience on Foundation was a great stepping stone between my Sixth Form and Degree level work. Even in first year at Chelsea, you are asked to work quite independently, and I do credit my Foundation for allowing me to ease into this way of working! Initially I had so many interests and wasn’t sure how I would find a focus, but you do tend to find your way with tutorials and other support, and I settled into working independently pretty quickly. In first year I was really interested in architecture and the mobility of people, and I spent most of my time researching and making work around that. Chelsea Fine Art really encourages you to be self-directed, i.e. you don’t really have briefs/set projects, and it’s up to you to pursue what you are interested in and let that drive your practice. It can seem daunting at first, but ultimately I think it really makes you better prepared for being a practicing artist, and allows you to really figure out what it is in the world that inspires you.

2) I lived in Tottenham Hale in my first year, in Emily Bowes Court. This was very close to the station and so my journey was relatively easy! I don’t think I ever really felt unsafe, but it’s always good to be a bit cautious and stay aware of yourself and your surroundings, definitely, wherever you are in London.
Here are a few of my suggestions for staying safe in London:
- Look after your belongings - keep them out of sight when possible, and make sure you take steps like having a lock on your phone, and record its IMEI number. Don’t carry too many valuables if you can, or large amounts of cash.
- Plan your journey to and from home, especially on nights out. Keep in touch with friends/family and let them know what you’re doing and where you’re going, and when. Try and travel with friends when you can - it will make your journey nicer as well!
- If you’re going to drink alcohol, be mindful about your limits and look out for each other.
- Make sure to keep your room & flat doors and windows locked when you’re not there.
- Look out for people who might try to follow you into buildings without their own key or access card.
- Make a note of important phone numbers, and maybe consider sharing them with friends if they’re comfortable with you doing so, in case of emergency (e.g. I got my parents’/flatmates’ permission to give their contact details to a couple of friends that I usually go out with).

UAL has actually compiled a page of their Tips and Advice for Staying Safe in London, which you can find here: https://www.arts.ac.uk/students/stories/tips-and-advice-for-staying-safe

3) I’ve been able to have jobs alongside my studies quite easily, but I think that’s because I’ve been careful about how I manage my time. Sometimes it’s necessary as a student to have a part-time job, especially with London being a bit more expensive. I think going through uni definitely helps you to learn about balancing the different parts of your life - finding enough time for work, having fun or going out, exercise, doing a part-time job, taking time out for yourself, getting enough sleep! There are periods of the year, especially close to deadlines, where balancing your life can become a bit stressful. I’m always careful not to take on more part-time work than I can manage, and remember to put my degree work and my personal wellbeing first. I also do yoga and go running which are great ways to take time out for yourself. In the past, UAL have actually run quite a few yoga classes and other wellbeing activities throughout the year (hopefully these will be on offer again next year, depending on the government guidance and the situation with the Covid-19 pandemic!).

4) I really enjoyed my experience in halls - I lived with people from very different courses and colleges to me, so I might otherwise not have met them. Sometimes it could get a bit noisy around my flat (but I lived above the common room!), but usually if you had a serious issue, you could talk to the staff at reception and they were always happy to help sort something out. I can only speak from my experience, and I’m not sure about losing a place due to poor behaviour, but I do know that sometimes (depending on the halls) if there are serious problems with behaviour in particular flats, there might be some kind of strike system based on numbers of incidences, which can have consequences, or if something gets badly damaged and it’s your fault, it might come out of your damages deposit. This is common in any form of renting. I personally never really had any negative experiences in my halls, and I know some people that even continued to live there in second year.

5) With regard to Glassyard, I can’t comment on this much, as this is a different person’s individual experience. The only experience I have of Glassyard is when I visited friends there a couple of times, and I thought it was a lovely building, and it’s in a really good location with regard to Chelsea College of Arts! Obviously if you encounter any problems like that during your stay there, I would advise you to talk to the appropriate staff who can take your issue further. Usually this might be the team at the front desk, or the Maintenance team, or an email contact. Additionally, the Arts SU might be able to offer you advice.

I hope that's helpful! And please let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Hannah
- UAL Student Rep
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hi @Feastful!
Thanks for your questions! I can completely understand you feeling a little overwhelmed - it’s a new chapter in your life and that can be daunting! I went through much of the same worries as you, and moving to halls was my first time living independently as well. I’ll go through and respond to your questions as best as I can:

1) Transitioning from my Foundation Diploma to my BA course felt like it should be scary, but I think my experience on Foundation was a great stepping stone between my Sixth Form and Degree level work. Even in first year at Chelsea, you are asked to work quite independently, and I do credit my Foundation for allowing me to ease into this way of working! Initially I had so many interests and wasn’t sure how I would find a focus, but you do tend to find your way with tutorials and other support, and I settled into working independently pretty quickly. In first year I was really interested in architecture and the mobility of people, and I spent most of my time researching and making work around that. Chelsea Fine Art really encourages you to be self-directed, i.e. you don’t really have briefs/set projects, and it’s up to you to pursue what you are interested in and let that drive your practice. It can seem daunting at first, but ultimately I think it really makes you better prepared for being a practicing artist, and allows you to really figure out what it is in the world that inspires you.

2) I lived in Tottenham Hale in my first year, in Emily Bowes Court. This was very close to the station and so my journey was relatively easy! I don’t think I ever really felt unsafe, but it’s always good to be a bit cautious and stay aware of yourself and your surroundings, definitely, wherever you are in London.
Here are a few of my suggestions for staying safe in London:
- Look after your belongings - keep them out of sight when possible, and make sure you take steps like having a lock on your phone, and record its IMEI number. Don’t carry too many valuables if you can, or large amounts of cash.
- Plan your journey to and from home, especially on nights out. Keep in touch with friends/family and let them know what you’re doing and where you’re going, and when. Try and travel with friends when you can - it will make your journey nicer as well!
- If you’re going to drink alcohol, be mindful about your limits and look out for each other.
- Make sure to keep your room & flat doors and windows locked when you’re not there.
- Look out for people who might try to follow you into buildings without their own key or access card.
- Make a note of important phone numbers, and maybe consider sharing them with friends if they’re comfortable with you doing so, in case of emergency (e.g. I got my parents’/flatmates’ permission to give their contact details to a couple of friends that I usually go out with).

UAL has actually compiled a page of their Tips and Advice for Staying Safe in London, which you can find here: https://www.arts.ac.uk/students/stories/tips-and-advice-for-staying-safe

3) I’ve been able to have jobs alongside my studies quite easily, but I think that’s because I’ve been careful about how I manage my time. Sometimes it’s necessary as a student to have a part-time job, especially with London being a bit more expensive. I think going through uni definitely helps you to learn about balancing the different parts of your life - finding enough time for work, having fun or going out, exercise, doing a part-time job, taking time out for yourself, getting enough sleep! There are periods of the year, especially close to deadlines, where balancing your life can become a bit stressful. I’m always careful not to take on more part-time work than I can manage, and remember to put my degree work and my personal wellbeing first. I also do yoga and go running which are great ways to take time out for yourself. In the past, UAL have actually run quite a few yoga classes and other wellbeing activities throughout the year (hopefully these will be on offer again next year, depending on the government guidance and the situation with the Covid-19 pandemic!).

4) I really enjoyed my experience in halls - I lived with people from very different courses and colleges to me, so I might otherwise not have met them. Sometimes it could get a bit noisy around my flat (but I lived above the common room!), but usually if you had a serious issue, you could talk to the staff at reception and they were always happy to help sort something out. I can only speak from my experience, and I’m not sure about losing a place due to poor behaviour, but I do know that sometimes (depending on the halls) if there are serious problems with behaviour in particular flats, there might be some kind of strike system based on numbers of incidences, which can have consequences, or if something gets badly damaged and it’s your fault, it might come out of your damages deposit. This is common in any form of renting. I personally never really had any negative experiences in my halls, and I know some people that even continued to live there in second year.

5) With regard to Glassyard, I can’t comment on this much, as this is a different person’s individual experience. The only experience I have of Glassyard is when I visited friends there a couple of times, and I thought it was a lovely building, and it’s in a really good location with regard to Chelsea College of Arts! Obviously if you encounter any problems like that during your stay there, I would advise you to talk to the appropriate staff who can take your issue further. Usually this might be the team at the front desk, or the Maintenance team, or an email contact. Additionally, the Arts SU might be able to offer you advice.

I hope that's helpful! And please let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Hannah
- UAL Student Rep

Hi Hannah,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write out such an informative reply! I appreciate it a lot.
My UAL application was recently upgraded to an Unconditional Offer and today it became official that I will be starting my degree in Fine Art in October at Chelsea College.

1. It honestly sounds super awesome being given a lot of artistic freedom (and getting more freedom as an artist has generally been what I have looked forward to the most with each passing unit & project at college). But I guess I feel a little anxiety over what kind of jump university will be from college in terms of workload, meeting criteria and managing everything because I have heard a lot of mixed reviews from old classmates last year who made the leap to various universities last year; some said that there was a big increase in workload, while others said that you were simply expected to work more independently (and that things were fine as long as you could adjust to that).

Although it was a little daunting at first getting into the flow of working at home during the initial stages of the lockdown, once I began I found it easier & easier. I have always been an independent worker, but my experiences during lockdown have definitely given me a lot of confidence working in isolation with minimal tuition (etc).

2. Those are really good tips (and thank you for the link)!

3. I tend to be a bit of a workaholic and so finding better life balance is always on my agenda. I feel a bit of anxiety over managing life independently but its very much something I want to work on as best I can over the next few years so that I can work as best I can at university. Its good to hear that it is possible to manage work and uni plus exercise all at the same time. I did not know about things like the yoga classes! Thats cool.

4. That is reassuring to hear. I've never lived with other students before and I want to be able to get along smoothly with everyone.

5. The location of Glassyard does look really great and one of the main things which attracted me to it was that its within reasonable walking distance of Chelsea College (I like to stay fit) plus well situated in London in general. But I was just wondering in advance in case I should think about investing in a portable heater and/or fan to keep in my room. I guess I will just see how it goes!

Thanks again :smile:
Hi ! I'll be applying to university this year for the year starting 2021 and I want to know if you could give any advice on personal statements ?
Hey @chenlils,

Great to hear that you're applying for UAL next year, good luck!

Your personal statement is your opportunity to tell the person looking at your application a bit more about yourself and why you make a good candidate for the course. It should give them an insight into your character, passion, interests and personality. It also gives you an opportunity to talk about any work experience or relevant extra curriculum activities you have completed which show your dedication and commitment towards the subject area you're applying for.

There are some great tips on how to write a good personal statement in this video from UAL and this mind map provided by UCAS.

I hope that has given you a bit of a starting point and let me know if you have any further questions.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending