The Student Room Group

BPP or ULaw

Which providers are better? Some mentioned BPP offers only online lectures, and this discouraged them to join BPP, while Ulaw offers face-to-face lectures. What is the best choice?
I would personally opt for BPP, for me it felt right and secondly it is statistically better for the than ULaw, for the BTC anyway.

Rather than taking the opinion of someone else, I suggest strongly you attend some open days whether that be online and/or virtually. This will enable you to make an informed choice and see what one feels better.
Original post by kingyii1997
Which providers are better? Some mentioned BPP offers only online lectures, and this discouraged them to join BPP, while Ulaw offers face-to-face lectures. What is the best choice?

Go to the open days to look at facilities as well. I recall a recent post suggesting BPP dont give you a hard copy of course materials, which I think is outrageous considering the thousands you pay. Some firms prefer them to go to BPP as they have customised courses. BPP tend to be closed book exams and ULaw tends to be open book.
Original post by james_law2.0
I would personally opt for BPP, for me it felt right and secondly it is statistically better for the than ULaw, for the BTC anyway.

Rather than taking the opinion of someone else, I suggest strongly you attend some open days whether that be online and/or virtually. This will enable you to make an informed choice and see what one feels better.

I personally favour BPP, as it has the highest pupillage rate than BPP.

Original post by 999tigger
Go to the open days to look at facilities as well. I recall a recent post suggesting BPP dont give you a hard copy of course materials, which I think is outrageous considering the thousands you pay. Some firms prefer them to go to BPP as they have customised courses. BPP tend to be closed book exams and ULaw tends to be open book.

It will definitely be fine for me with the course materials. Open book exam from ULaw meaning easier to obtain a better a score?
It will definitely be fine for me with the course materials. Open book exam from ULaw meaning easier to obtain a better a score?

This is highly subjective - have you done an open book exam and/or closed book exam?

I prefer open book exams but i do better in closed book exams; for me this is the reliance on material you take into the exam with you which causes me to be less prepared.
I personally favour BPP, as it has the highest pupillage rate than BPP.

Just go with the one you are happiest with.

I am going to BPP this September for my LPC and although im starting online due to the current situation, I've been told they will be going back to the classroom as soon as they can - i think thats the same for most providers at the minute. The library is open but i doubt i will travel in just for that.

Im getting all of the materials with my course - i checked after I saw an article about issues with materials last week which they said was COVID related and is now resolved.

Also I put this on another thread but when i was making my choice I asked about the open/closed book exams which someone else raised and this is what i had back from the person i was dealing with in Admissions:

“Students are permitted to take statue books, codes of practice and copies of procedure rules into all LPC exams with them. We do not have a closed book policy. Students often underestimate the value of this. Taking an LPC exam is markedly different from that on the LLB or GDL. The majority of the law required for the LPC comes from these permitted sources as opposed to case law. This means that there is little to no “law” to actually memorise for the exam, and so instead students can focus revision on when and how to apply it. This mirrors most accurately what it would be like in practice.

Many of the skills based exams on the LPC would not benefit from taking your own notes, as this would not be compatible with the skill that is being assessed. In these situations students benefit instead from being given plenty of opportunities to practice, including mock exams in realistic conditions.”
Original post by todareistodo
I am going to BPP this September for my LPC and although im starting online due to the current situation, I've been told they will be going back to the classroom as soon as they can - i think thats the same for most providers at the minute. The library is open but i doubt i will travel in just for that.

Im getting all of the materials with my course - i checked after I saw an article about issues with materials last week which they said was COVID related and is now resolved.

Also I put this on another thread but when i was making my choice I asked about the open/closed book exams which someone else raised and this is what i had back from the person i was dealing with in Admissions:

“Students are permitted to take statue books, codes of practice and copies of procedure rules into all LPC exams with them. We do not have a closed book policy. Students often underestimate the value of this. Taking an LPC exam is markedly different from that on the LLB or GDL. The majority of the law required for the LPC comes from these permitted sources as opposed to case law. This means that there is little to no “law” to actually memorise for the exam, and so instead students can focus revision on when and how to apply it. This mirrors most accurately what it would be like in practice.

Many of the skills based exams on the LPC would not benefit from taking your own notes, as this would not be compatible with the skill that is being assessed. In these situations students benefit instead from being given plenty of opportunities to practice, including mock exams in realistic conditions.”

Thanks for the response. This is really helpful! BPP offered me a conditional offer for my BTC course for this September.
Thanks for the response. This is really helpful! BPP offered me a conditional offer for my BTC course for this September.

Congrats on the offer and like someone else said go with the one that you are happiest with. If your still unsure i found the events they run really helped - not sure if they still have any open.
Original post by todareistodo
Congrats on the offer and like someone else said go with the one that you are happiest with. If your still unsure i found the events they run really helped - not sure if they still have any open.

Thank you! I am looking forward to it. However, the material issue has raised my concern. I found the relevant news and it does not indicate the issue is resolved. I am concerned if they are not going to send me the hard copy.
Thank you! I am looking forward to it. However, the material issue has raised my concern. I found the relevant news and it does not indicate the issue is resolved. I am concerned if they are not going to send me the hard copy.

Hi @kingyii1997

Congratulations on your offer!

I just wanted to reassure you that you will receive hard copies of permitted physical materials, including the White Book and Blackstone’s Criminal Practice on the BTC.

Your Admissions Officer will be on hand to answers any other questions you may have; you can contact them on +44 (0) 3300 603 100.

I hope that helps.

BPP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending