The Student Room Group

What can I do?

The situation I'm in at the moment isn't very good. I got into my university first choice and have applied for accomodation already etc. The problem I have is that I don't have a bank account. I got my passport done at the end of july and sent the application to get my provisional license to DVLA on the 16th of July but it still hasn't came in yet through post. I need to have both passport and provisional to get a bank card.

I'm wondering if I will still have problems if I could delay everything just a little longer? because my course starts on the 21st of september along with the fact that I should be able to move into my accomodation on the 10th september. Could I pay in cash for my accomodation or does it need to be with card? I have called DVLA for any updates about my provisional license however due to COVID-19 they said there will be delays despite the fact that mine is an emergency. I am still stressed out about this as to what I should do.

Thanks in advance! :-)
Original post by boyfresh123
I need to have both passport and provisional to get a bank card.

Which bank is this? AFAIK, you only need one form of photo ID.
Very surprised at 18 you don’t have a bank card! Do your parents just hand you out cash? Very strange (but not the point of this convo!). I’m sure if you call the accommodation office you can pay by wire transfer from your parents account. I’m presuming you don’t just have that kind of money sat in cash under the bed?
Reply 3
Original post by RogerOxon
Which bank is this? AFAIK, you only need one form of photo ID.

I wanted to use HSBC
I wanted to use HSBC

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accounts/what-do-you-need-to-open-a-current-account/

You only need one proof of identity - your passport provides that.

You then need one proof of address, which a driving license could provide, but so can other documents.
Reply 5
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Very surprised at 18 you don’t have a bank card! Do your parents just hand you out cash? Very strange (but not the point of this convo!). I’m sure if you call the accommodation office you can pay by wire transfer from your parents account. I’m presuming you don’t just have that kind of money sat in cash under the bed?

Well they did mention that there may be some extra time for it (especially because of the pandemic) even after starting the course, I wouldn't mind using my own money for now until I get my bank card either but unsure if it's possible to do that with cash so I'll try and give them a ring tomorrow (didn't pick up today) and no I don't have that much money under the bed lol. I just thought my sister could take some money out of the bank to use that money for my accomodation for now since the bank card has to be under my name.
Reply 6
Original post by RogerOxon
https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accounts/what-do-you-need-to-open-a-current-account/

You only need one proof of identity - your passport provides that.

You then need one proof of address, which a driving license could provide, but so can other documents.

This is why I wanted to get a provisional license, and sadly I don't have any utility bills or other documents that are under my name. My sister is the one who pays for all of that.
This is why I wanted to get a provisional license, and sadly I don't have any utility bills or other documents that are under my name. My sister is the one who pays for all of that.

Do you have the accommodation contract?

Otherwise, you could try a signed declaration from your sister. Another option may be to change an account to also have your name on it. Talk to HSBC too - they may have another option, e.g. (I'm guessing) sending you a letter, or using the electoral register.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending