The Student Room Group

biology

what is golgi body?
The Golgi body otherwise known as Golgi apparatus is a cellular structure in animals cells (eukaryotic)
The Golgi body/apparatus packages and modified proteins.
- a way of thinking of this is, once the RER has under gone protein synthesis, the Golgi apparatus will then put them into their own packages (imagine boxes) and modify them, taking bits of those genes and getting rid of a bit of this and keeping a bit of that.
This is the function of the Golgi apparatus.
I hope this helped you if not let me know.
Reply 2
Original post by success4life
The Golgi body otherwise known as Golgi apparatus is a cellular structure in animals cells (eukaryotic)
The Golgi body/apparatus packages and modified proteins.
- a way of thinking of this is, once the RER has under gone protein synthesis, the Golgi apparatus will then put them into their own packages (imagine boxes) and modify them, taking bits of those genes and getting rid of a bit of this and keeping a bit of that.
This is the function of the Golgi apparatus.
I hope this helped you if not let me know.

Im about to start A level Biology.Can you tell me what a RER is please?
Reply 3
Original post by susiebe

RER is the abbreviation for rough endoplasmic reticulum. The nuclear membrane is continuous with the endoplasmic reticulum, which includes both the smooth and rough endoplasmic reticulum.

The RER has a similar structure to the smooth endoplasmic reticulum but it has ribosomes attached to it.

In A-Levels, you'll only be required to learn the looks, structure and functions of organelles.
There are ribosomes attached to the RER, so it is the site of protein synthesis/ some sites say since they're bundled together with ribosomes, they synthesise proteins.
They also transport the proteins synthesised at the ribosomes to the Golgi Body, a.k.a the Golgi Apparatus.

Well, that's about it. Don't worry, you'll learn more about it when your classes start.
Original post by susiebe

Of course-
RER stands for ROUGH ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM there is another type of endoplasmic reticulum the SMOOTH ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM.
So now we’ve established their are too types of endoplasmic reticulum. Now for the functions-
RER (rough endoplasmic reticulum)-for protein synthesis. Is biology when a product is made we call this synthesis so it means to make protein. Protein is important for mitosis -growth and repair remember so this is two reasons why it’s needed for the cell.
SER (smooth endoplasmic reticulum)-for lipid synthesis. This means making lipids. You’ll find out in one of your topics that the cell membrane is lipid soluble, meaning lipids can pass right through to enter the cell membrane, know as the plasma surface membrane instead of the basic cell membrane.
Here I’ve explained.
Now the RER is always found near to the nuclear envelope or membrane (as you’d want to refer to it as)
Here’s another fact you need to know, the reason that It’s called the ROUGH ER is because it’s rough. It’s rough because there is proteins known as ribsomes (remember ribosomes makes protein) on the surface. If their is proteins in the surface then it can synthesis more protein. Where are the SER (smooth endoplasmic reticulum) does NOT have protein on its surface, hence why it’s SMOOTH. This is because it’s not needed. Think about the role it has; the SER synthesises lipids not proteins do they are not needed.
I do hope this breaks it down. You need to know all of this -all. I’m going into year 13 just keep on top of it. If you need any help I can give you my Instagram. Both of you.
1) what the types of endoplasmic reticulums are
2) the functions of both
3) the appearance
Reply 5
Original post by success4life
Of course-
RER stands for ROUGH ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM there is another type of endoplasmic reticulum the SMOOTH ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM.
So now we’ve established their are too types of endoplasmic reticulum. Now for the functions-
RER (rough endoplasmic reticulum)-for protein synthesis. Is biology when a product is made we call this synthesis so it means to make protein. Protein is important for mitosis -growth and repair remember so this is two reasons why it’s needed for the cell.
SER (smooth endoplasmic reticulum)-for lipid synthesis. This means making lipids. You’ll find out in one of your topics that the cell membrane is lipid soluble, meaning lipids can pass right through to enter the cell membrane, know as the plasma surface membrane instead of the basic cell membrane.
Here I’ve explained.
Now the RER is always found near to the nuclear envelope or membrane (as you’d want to refer to it as)
Here’s another fact you need to know, the reason that It’s called the ROUGH ER is because it’s rough. It’s rough because there is proteins known as ribsomes (remember ribosomes makes protein) on the surface. If their is proteins in the surface then it can synthesis more protein. Where are the SER (smooth endoplasmic reticulum) does NOT have protein on its surface, hence why it’s SMOOTH. This is because it’s not needed. Think about the role it has; the SER synthesises lipids not proteins do they are not needed.
I do hope this breaks it down. You need to know all of this -all. I’m going into year 13 just keep on top of it. If you need any help I can give you my Instagram. Both of you.
1) what the types of endoplasmic reticulums are
2) the functions of both
3) the appearance

Wow, that is so kind and useful. Im actually a mature student about to start an online A level Biology course.
Im a qualified nurse so have some knowledge but am prepared to go into a lot greater depth.
I would definatly contact you as Im sure theres going to be lots of stuff which is hard.
I was reading about Krebs Cycle last night, OMG!!Hope thats as hard as it gets?!
Reply 6
Original post by YuenSong99
RER is the abbreviation for rough endoplasmic reticulum. The nuclear membrane is continuous with the endoplasmic reticulum, which includes both the smooth and rough endoplasmic reticulum.

The RER has a similar structure to the smooth endoplasmic reticulum but it has ribosomes attached to it.

In A-Levels, you'll only be required to learn the looks, structure and functions of organelles.
There are ribosomes attached to the RER, so it is the site of protein synthesis/ some sites say since they're bundled together with ribosomes, they synthesise proteins.
They also transport the proteins synthesised at the ribosomes to the Golgi Body, a.k.a the Golgi Apparatus.

Well, that's about it. Don't worry, you'll learn more about it when your classes start.

Thank you so much.
So useful and great diagram which makes learning easier for me as can now visualise the ER.
Original post by susiebe
Wow, that is so kind and useful. Im actually a mature student about to start an online A level Biology course.
Im a qualified nurse so have some knowledge but am prepared to go into a lot greater depth.
I would definatly contact you as Im sure theres going to be lots of stuff which is hard.
I was reading about Krebs Cycle last night, OMG!!Hope thats as hard as it gets?!

Jheez you are so clever!
That’s sounds challenging but I’m sure you will get there. My Instagram is bowbanterrrr just in case.
I’ve got loads of the kreb cycle and can send you my condensed notes.

Quick Reply

Latest