The Student Room Group

After my undergrad Biomedical Science degree can I work with the NHS right away?

After my undergrad Biomedical Science degree can I work with the NHS right away or do I need to do something else before I'm allowed to work there as a biomedical scientist?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Rozzz
After my undergrad Biomedical Science degree can I work with the NHS right away or do I need to do something else before I'm allowed to work there as a biomedical scientist?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Hi, I am a student of Biomedical Science at London Metropolitan University and hope I will be able to help you today.

The NHS is one of the main employers of biomedical scientists. As long as your course is IBMS (Institute of Biomedical Science) Accredited you shouldn't have a problem. A placement or other work experience in a laboratory and evidence of medical interest is useful for embarking on the job role. Work experience shows initiative and you also get a feel for the type of work carried out.

The link below is a useful website that shows all the career paths linked with having a Biomedical Science degree. It shows you what a typical salary will look like and all sorts of useful tips to help improve your knowledge of the working environment to help prepare you for when the time will come.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/biomedical-scientist#:~:text=The%20NHS%20is%20one%20of,laboratories%20in%20private%20sector%20hospitals.

I hope this helped and good luck with your future prospects!
Reply 2
You can work in the NHS but not as a biomedical scientist.

To work as a biomedical scientist, you'll firstly have to know if your degree is accredited by the IBMS. If it is, you can apply for medical laboratory assistant (MLA) jobs in the NHS to then complete the registration portfolio which is required to register on the HCPC. Once you're registered then you can work as a biomedical scientist.

If your degree is not accredited, you will have to apply for top up modules and complete them which will qualify as an accredited degree. Then you will follow the same steps, applying for MLA jobs, registration portfolio and registering on the HCPC.
Reply 3
Original post by tiaal
You can work in the NHS but not as a biomedical scientist.

To work as a biomedical scientist, you'll firstly have to know if your degree is accredited by the IBMS. If it is, you can apply for medical laboratory assistant (MLA) jobs in the NHS to then complete the registration portfolio which is required to register on the HCPC. Once you're registered then you can work as a biomedical scientist.

If your degree is not accredited, you will have to apply for top up modules and complete them which will qualify as an accredited degree. Then you will follow the same steps, applying for MLA jobs, registration portfolio and registering on the HCPC.

My degree is IBMS accredited. How long do you need to work as a medical laboratory assistant to do the registration portfolio? Are you a Biomedical scientist? I'm about to start my first year in uni to study Biomed :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by f.g01825
Hi, I am a student of Biomedical Science at London Metropolitan University and hope I will be able to help you today.

The NHS is one of the main employers of biomedical scientists. As long as your course is IBMS (Institute of Biomedical Science) Accredited you shouldn't have a problem. A placement or other work experience in a laboratory and evidence of medical interest is useful for embarking on the job role. Work experience shows initiative and you also get a feel for the type of work carried out.

The link below is a useful website that shows all the career paths linked with having a Biomedical Science degree. It shows you what a typical salary will look like and all sorts of useful tips to help improve your knowledge of the working environment to help prepare you for when the time will come.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/biomedical-scientist#:~:text=The%20NHS%20is%20one%20of,laboratories%20in%20private%20sector%20hospitals.

I hope this helped and good luck with your future prospects!

Thank you! My course is IBMS accredited. And I'm going to be doing a sandwich year which includes a placement. So that means I will be completing IBMS Registration Training Portfolio as I will be given a year of lab work??
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rozzz
Thank you! My course is IBMS accredited. And I'm going to be doing a sandwich year which includes a placement. So that means I will be completing IBMS Registration Training Portfolio as I will be given a year of lab work??

Hi! I’m just going into my 3rd/final year of biomed and I’ve just completed my placement year in an NHS Haematology lab :smile:
If your placement is in an NHS lab and you complete the registration portfolio, then yes! You will be able to work in the NHS as a Band 5 Biomedical Scientist once you’ve graduated (and once you’ve registered with the HCPC)

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Rozzz
My degree is IBMS accredited. How long do you need to work as a medical laboratory assistant to do the registration portfolio? Are you a Biomedical scientist? I'm about to start my first year in uni to study Biomed :smile:

I'm not completely sure but I think it will be around 1-2 years. I know that if you get an NHS placement during your placement year you can complete the portfolio within that year so it just depends on how fast the person works through the portfolio. I'm not a biomedical scientist but I'm currently doing a biomedical science degree and started my placement year in an NHS laboratory this year. Good luck with your degree biomed is a really interesting course, you will enjoy it!
There's a little bit of misinformation here and a few contradicting posts so I'm going to clarify the situation as a registered BMS.

No, you cannot become a Biomedical Scientist direct out of University (at least, not from the course you've chosen, I went a different route and was a handful of BMS's who never had to work a MLA role despite only being at University for 3 years, Universities don't tell you this route because they only take 10 students a year so it's less financially lucrative for them).

The reason you have to work as a MLA first in your situation is not just to gain experience, although that helps. It's the fact that the person specifications for jobs above Band 2 state you must have experience in the NHS. Therefore, you can start applying for Trainee BMS roles after a single day as a MLA.

Obviously it will help with your applications the more experience you have. I've worked with at least two who left for trainee roles within a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending