The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Going to UoB in 2 weeks but the stabbing incident has made me very scared...

I love the university and my course but I am seriously so worried about my safety, especially after today's news about the stabbing incident. Advice on how to mentally cope? (I know I shouldn't go out alone at night, be extra careful etc. but I'm looking for mental tips)

Scroll to see replies

Can happen anywhere. Be aware of your surroundings and that's the most you can do. Maybe google managing anxiety.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Anonymous
I love the university and my course but I am seriously so worried about my safety, especially after today's news about the stabbing incident. Advice on how to mentally cope? (I know I shouldn't go out alone at night, be extra careful etc. but I'm looking for mental tips)

I know it’s easier said than done, but don’t try to dwell upon it so much. Always keep a torch(mini) one on you in case you do have to go out in the night.

Keep your phone hidden and out of sight and always be wary of your surroundings.

Take care.
It was at 12am. If your not hanging with the wrong crowd or late at night you're fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
I know it’s easier said than done, but don’t try to dwell upon it so much. Always keep a torch(mini) one on you in case you do have to go out in the night.

Keep your phone hidden and out of sight and always be wary of your surroundings.

Take care.

Thank you for this 🙏 I know it sounds stupid, but I always get told to be aware of y surroundings but HOW? like if I realise that someone is following me, what do i do? Run?
Reply 5
What stabbing? Was it against a university student?
Original post by Deggs_14
What stabbing? Was it against a university student?

Random stabbing in town i think. Not linked to uob. 1 dead. 4-5 injured.
Thank you for this 🙏 I know it sounds stupid, but I always get told to be aware of y surroundings but HOW? like if I realise that someone is following me, what do i do? Run?

Thats were fitness and martial arts comes into hand.
Avoid any dodgy interactions.
I am from Birmingham and can tell you the areas students go clubbing and drinking on nights out are generally safe and okay as long as you are not by yourself, as the user above said you could try martial arts/self defence for extra protection
Reply 9
I am from Birmingham and can tell you the areas students go clubbing and drinking on nights out are generally safe and okay as long as you are not by yourself, as the user above said you could try martial arts/self defence for extra protection

Thank you for both your advice! I have actually been wanting to do kung fu or wing chun for a while...but lowkey scared that I'd be the only beginner there haha plus I'm rly fat and ugly so I'm also worried that people will laugh at me........
Thank you for both your advice! I have actually been wanting to do kung fu or wing chun for a while...but lowkey scared that I'd be the only beginner there haha plus I'm rly fat and ugly so I'm also worried that people will laugh at me........

Don't say that about yourself, everyone is beautiful in their own ways! Everyone will be there for the same reasons and there will be a variety of people who've never done it before up to experts so don't worry you won't be the only one in your position - if anything others will be glad too they aren't alone!

You have got to be kidding, the guy was a random loon.
It had no motive.

Brum is a huge city with more than a million people.
Law of large numbers with things like this.

If you are sensible, i.e. dont walk in unlit parts of the city at night, dont walk home drunk alone, always lock your door, tell people if you go out at odd times, if you are lost and its getting late call an uber.

You will most likely be fine. These things can realistically happen anywhere but you hear more of it with such a large population.

But being sensible is the easiest way to keep your nose clean whether you are in Birmingham or Exeter.
Do you normally fear leaving your home?

Im at Uob.wouldnt worry about it at all, tho if there is a place to watch out it would that nightclub the locals go to, its called snobs that area around is quite dodgy
Original post by paul514
You have got to be kidding, the guy was a random loon.
It had no motive.

that's even why I'm more worried because it's random, a higher chance that the next person will be me
Original post by sambread
Im at Uob.wouldnt worry about it at all, tho if there is a place to watch out it would that nightclub the locals go to, its called snobs that area around is quite dodgy

thank you for letting me know! I don't like going out or clubbing so I guess it's good for me :smile:
that's even why I'm more worried because it's random, a higher chance that the next person will be me

Well randoms are scary because it doesn’t have reason granted.
However randoms are also exceedingly rare.
Hi,
I'm currently living in Selly Oak where the suspect lived too. If you will live in the student halls, they are veeeery safe! Security guards usually have a walk in the evenings, the reception in the Vale is very close to every accommodation type, you can call them from the corridor's phone and email too. If you plan to live in Selly next year, I recommend you to find and follow two Facebook groups:

Fab N Fresh - New
Selly Oak B29 Community

Also, visit websites and look for the future self-defense events at the Guild:

https://www.guildofstudents.com/support/studentmentors/safety/

https://www.guildofstudents.com/ents/event/4168/

When you plan to rent, check the crime rates here :

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/crime/b296tf

Hope that's helpful!
Stay safe,

-Karolina, UoB
UoB is not near where that incident took place. I've never felt unsafe on campus. Where that incident occurred is a popular nightlife location, but they've got the perpetrator now. He's not out and about to do it again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending