B) [−20, −4)
C) [−4, 2)
D) [2, 10]
E) (10, +∞)

What is the correct answer?

What topic is this even?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not really sure what’s going on here? Where did you find it?
Original post by Football199
10 · 32 : (16 : 8 : 4) : 2 : 10−1 103

A) (−∞, −20)
B) [−20, −4)
C) [−4, 2)
D) [2, 10]
E) (10, +∞)

What topic is this even?

Who knows ... it's really unclear, but obviously the question asks for some sort interval of a variable.
10 · 32 : (16 : 8 : 4) : 2 : 10−1 103

A) (−∞, −20)
B) [−20, −4)
C) [−4, 2)
D) [2, 10]
E) (10, +∞)

What topic is this even?

where did you get this from?
Reply 4
Original post by royalty1702
where did you get this from?

It's a maths exam question part of Serbian special forces in order to be a Special forces member you have to pass this exam as part of training. I found it online.

It says something like to express the variables. I'm just intrigued to find out what this topic is exactly and the difficulty of it.
Can you screenshot the full question instead of typing it out?
defo not gcse
thats all i know
Reply 7
Screenshot_20200915_230416.jpg
Reply 8
That's the question laid out. And you have 5 options. It says the answer is D. (2,10)
Just as a heads up, in Eastern Europe sometimes we use : for division! I don't think this has anything to do with matrices!
Original post by SlashaRussia
Just as a heads up, in Eastern Europe sometimes we use : for division! I don't think this has anything to do with matrices!

But the answer is an interval!
Original post by _gcx
But the answer is an interval!

yeah. This is confusing.

I think it would be helpful if OP screencapped the whole question, not just the numbers? And give a rough translation of what is written???
Screenshot_20200915_231352.jpg
Basically here is the whole test. It is asking to express the variables but that's all.
Basically here is the whole test. It is asking to express the variables but that's all.

Would help to know precisely (or as close as possible) what it says, it still doesn't make sense.

Or is at best very non-standard notation. Looking at the other questions, probably at least A-level, possibly some undergrad, hard to say without speaking serbian.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Would help to know precisely (or as close as possible) what it says, it still doesn't make sense. There are blank questions with intervals as answers, (and every question has very similar intervals as answers...?) I'm going to tentatively suggest there's been a typographical error.

Or is at best very non-standard notation. Looking at the other questions, probably at least A-level, possibly some undergrad, hard to say without speaking serbian.

So, as a Russian speaker I think I can have a vague guess at this!\

To me, it looks like it is asking "the answer to this: ....... falls within the interval: a) b) c)...."

So I think my initial note of ":" meaning division stands here? Maybe?

EDIT: actually I'm still uncertain, since then the infinities kind of don't make sense at all...
(edited 3 years ago)

To me, it looks like it is asking "the answer to this: ....... falls within the interval: a) b) c)...."

Oh that makes far more sense.

Well if : means division then it's basically just <= GCSE arithmetic. It's only natural that the way they've written it is hopelessly ambiguous, but that's probably to be expected when people insist on using ÷\div over fractions. (does (16:8:4) mean 16/(8/4), (16/8)/4...?)
Original post by _gcx
Would help to know precisely (or as close as possible) what it says, it still doesn't make sense. There are blank questions with intervals as answers, (and every question has very similar intervals as answers...?) I'm going to tentatively suggest there's been a typographical error.

It just says (roughly, I think):

The value of the expression [expression] belongs to the interval [answer]
Reply 19

So I think my initial note of ":" meaning division stands here? Maybe?

Yeah, I think the : is division too, so maybe it's asking to give estimates? But even then, that still doesn't explain why the answer to earlier was D, unless I've typed the expression into my calc wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest