The Student Room Group

Why should sex education be age-appropriate?

Like if schools teach 5-year-old boys and girls to know using a condom, 'safe sex' or that sorts of thing, I will feel like this is kinda strange, but don't know how to verbalise this feeling. Is it because it is useless at that age? Or because it is simply inappropriate for a child to know too much about sex at a very young age?
Original post by BrowniesMorgan
Like if schools teach 5-year-old boys and girls to know using a condom, 'safe sex' or that sorts of thing, I will feel like this is kinda strange, but don't know how to verbalise this feeling. Is it because it is useless at that age? Or because it is simply inappropriate for a child to know too much about sex at a very young age?

5 year olds aren't able to understand the concepts of contraception etc., also yeah it is pretty useless for them to know about condoms that early. That would be like teaching a 5 year old A-Level maths. It just wouldn't work because they can't comprehend it. So you start with the basic 2+2, times tables etc and gradually as they get older you get into more detail. Same with sex education.
They don't need to know at that age. It's confusing and inappropriate. I think it helps having sex ed from around eight years of age onwards because from then on, kids will start going through puberty.

That information is literally useless at that age.
What isn't useless is teaching the concept of consent (in basic terms), different types of relationships romantic or otherwise, and correct words for body parts.
I don't really subscribe to the 'innappropriate' thought process. A comment on Reddit that really stuck with me is that teaching sex as neutral, not shameful, helps children to speak up about possible sexual abuse.
Original post by Vapordave
That information is literally useless at that age.
What isn't useless is teaching the concept of consent (in basic terms), different types of relationships romantic or otherwise, and correct words for body parts.
I don't really subscribe to the 'innappropriate' thought process. A comment on Reddit that really stuck with me is that teaching sex as neutral, not shameful, helps children to speak up about possible sexual abuse.

Great reply, learning 'consent' is such a better alternative and foundation for sex education at a young age! Thank you so much:smile:

Surely it is obvious?

5 year olds are more concerned with friendships and the ideas around trust.
11 year olds are starting to see their bodies change and are having feelings different to that of just friends.
Some 16 year-olds may be in a relationship and are thinking about having sex.

What seems to confuse people is that sex ed is a small part of the subject of relationships which includes all manner of frindships, peer groups and professional relationships.
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek
Surely it is obvious?

5 year olds are more concerned with friendships and the ideas around trust.
11 year olds are starting to see their bodies change and are having feelings different to that of just friends.
Some 16 year-olds may be in a relationship and are thinking about having sex.

What seems to confuse people is that sex ed is a small part of the subject of relationships which includes all manner of frindships, peer groups and professional relationships.

Find me an average 16yr old boy who isnt a horny ****er out for a root :lol:
Very weird. @Rufus the red
5 year olds should learn about healthy relationships - friendly and romantic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending