The Student Room Group

Rude parents - not acceptable

Can I please remind parents that the Admissions Team at any Uni are not responsible for your son/daughter failing their A levels.

We are getting far too many phone calls from parents who are being colossally rude to staff and I have had two members of staff in tears this morning as a result of parents screaming at them down the phone.

That I even have to post this this message is appalling.
That's crazy! The world is changing (and I am even not 40 so not an old lady from the middle age).

Kids have to work hard to get their results as we all have and parents have to work hard with them to make them understand... It's called EDUCATION!
And why are the parents making the calls? Their kids are 18 or on the cusp of 18, so are adults and should be making their own calls?
Reply 3
Original post by hannychica
And why are the parents making the calls? Their kids are 18 or on the cusp of 18, so are adults and should be making their own calls?

I have no issues with the parent making the call - but do have a problem with entitled parents thinking that be screaming at the top of their voice will immediately get them a solution. One of my team was recently told that she was a 'cretin', another that she 'clearly had no idea what she was doing in that job'.
I often find that parents are pushier, but fortunately I've not had to deal with very few calls which are quite this bad. As above, stamping your feet out of frustration when offer conditions have not been met is not appropriate.

Original post by hannychica

You'd be amazed how many call on behalf of postgrad applicants, much less undergrads!
Not sure why I am surprised, sorry to hear that. Not okay :frown:

My daughter missed her firm by a few marks in her best subject this year (she expected A* for a course needing an A and achieved a B). It felt unfair. She cried, she regrouped and she got on with dealing with the consequences - not that we didn't look at appealing / resits - sometimes you do have to fight for things, sometimes your energy is better spent elsewhere.

Its been a brutal year - as a parent its been horrible to see all that hard work *not* turn in to the hoped for Uni / course. To see confidence battered by something as abstract as an A level grade boundary. But life has disappointments, deal with it and move on

- my hope as a parent is that my daughter comes out of this more resilient and more determined. Not sure how shouting at someone could possibly help with that
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Admit-One
You'd be amazed how many call on behalf of postgrad applicants, much less undergrads!

That is astonishing but not all that surprising tbh…
I think it’s reasonable to caution a caller about their conduct, and if it continues inform them that the call will be disconnnected.

It is never acceptable to use offensive language, behave in an aggressive, or disrespectful maner.

Consider this fact: A university can withdraw an offer over student conduct or their advocates conduct. When representing a student - don’t forget they are expected to comply with the universities code of conduct at all times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending