The Student Room Group

Official Pharmacy applicants thread 2021

Are you applying to study Pharmacy at University in 2021?
Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:

Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,
I’m thinking of applying to uni of Nottingham, Birmingham, dmu, and Lincoln. My predicted are AAA studying Chem, bio and sociology but I don’t think I’ll achieve that. How lenient are these unis?
Original post by username5294318
Hi everyone,
I’m thinking of applying to uni of Nottingham, Birmingham, dmu, and Lincoln. My predicted are AAA studying Chem, bio and sociology but I don’t think I’ll achieve that. How lenient are these unis?

Hi there,

I'm pleased to hear you are thinking of applying to the University of Lincoln. Your predicted grades of AAA are outstanding and this is above the MPharm entry requirement of ABB (128 UCAS Tariff Points). From your thread, it looks like you are on the right track for the course so keep up the work you're doing! Here is the link for more information on the course.

Have you visited us before? If not please follow the link to our campus, city and accommodation tours.

Any further questions please respond to this message or you can message us on UniBuddy too.

Natt - 3rd year Biomedical Science :smile:
Should i apply for a pharmacy course this year as i’ve seen plenty of websites saying it’s “a dying profession” ? (in the UK)
Original post by PHARMACY2021
Should i apply for a pharmacy course this year as i’ve seen plenty of websites saying it’s “a dying profession” ? (in the UK)

Hey @PHARMACY2021 !

Where have you seen that Pharmacy is a dying profession?! :curious: I don't work in the industry myself but this statement really surprises me, particularly given the way that things are globally at the moment! I'd be intrigued to know the reasoning behind that...

I'd say Pharmacy is a great profession, with good career progression and it can be quite a satisfying career for someone with an interest in Medicine but no desire to work as a doctor for example. You get to work in a fast paced industry, heavily involved in medicine and medicinal developments and working with the public can be hugely rewarding. The skills you'll gain from a Pharmacy are also transferrable to other settings (e.g. lab work, drug research and development etc) so your options won't just be narrowed to working *only* as a Pharmacist.

So, if you want to apply for Pharmacy then go for it!! Don't let anyone tell you you should do otherwise. It's a tough degree, but if you're willing to work hard I've no doubt you'll be great at whatever you decide to do after.

We offer Pharmacy at Strathclyde and usually do very well in the rankings :cute: Rankings aren't everything when it comes to picking your university, but they can give you an idea of where has a good reputation if you're not sure where you'd like to study yet! Let me know if there's any questions I can help answer!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @PHARMACY2021 !

Where have you seen that Pharmacy is a dying profession?! :curious: I don't work in the industry myself but this statement really surprises me, particularly given the way that things are globally at the moment! I'd be intrigued to know the reasoning behind that...

I'd say Pharmacy is a great profession, with good career progression and it can be quite a satisfying career for someone with an interest in Medicine but no desire to work as a doctor for example. You get to work in a fast paced industry, heavily involved in medicine and medicinal developments and working with the public can be hugely rewarding. The skills you'll gain from a Pharmacy are also transferrable to other settings (e.g. lab work, drug research and development etc) so your options won't just be narrowed to working *only* as a Pharmacist.

So, if you want to apply for Pharmacy then go for it!! Don't let anyone tell you you should do otherwise. It's a tough degree, but if you're willing to work hard I've no doubt you'll be great at whatever you decide to do after.

We offer Pharmacy at Strathclyde and usually do very well in the rankings :cute: Rankings aren't everything when it comes to picking your university, but they can give you an idea of where has a good reputation if you're not sure where you'd like to study yet! Let me know if there's any questions I can help answer!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thank you so much for reassuring me. I wasnt too sure and now im certain that its a good course. And to answer your question i googled is pharmacy a good course and there were lots of claims that pharmacy is a dying profession in the uk :frown:

Hi, I study pharmacy and I love it and can't see myself doing anything else, but if you look at this website, the pharmacy career is sort of facing some challenges right now. With all due respect to the other poster, they are from a University that runs a pharmacy course so of course they're going to try and make it sound like this amazing career.

Look at some of the other threads under pharmacy. I actually knew all this before picking pharmacy, but that's because I genuinely really want to do it despite the worsening pay and working conditions as of late.
Reply 7
I haven’t met many people applying to pharmacy so any pharmacy applicants what are your predicted grades, gcse results and where are you applying/applied?
My UCAS grades are AAB (chem psychology and bio)
GCSEs: 9988877666
I am applying to: Ucl, Kcl, Manchester, Keele, Kingston. However might change Ucl as I feel like my chances are low! Also good luck to everyone applying.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Hello!
Im applying to Bath, UCL, Belfast, Manchester and UEA
My predicted grades are AAA (bio chem and philosophy) and my GCSEs are 98888888886

what makes you think your chances are low? those are great grades! (:
Reply 9
Original post by c.hllz
Hello!
My predicted grades are AAA (bio chem and philosophy) and my GCSEs are 98888888886

Thank you! It’s just the B in biology might lower my chances idrk but good luck with the application process, you have really good grades too :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Sam2918
Thank you! It’s just the B in biology might lower my chances idrk but good luck with the application process, you have really good grades too :smile:

From what ive read a B in biology is absolutely fine, i think they just want you to have an A in chemistry as that is the unis main focus
plus some people apply with lower than the required grades and still get offers, and you already have what is required (:
Original post by c.hllz
Hello!

would my chances be low at ucl if my gcse grades are 77777654 but my predicted grades at a levels for maths bio chem is (aab)
Original post by randomsheep11
Hi, I study pharmacy and I love it and can't see myself doing anything else, but if you look at this website, the pharmacy career is sort of facing some challenges right now. With all due respect to the other poster, they are from a University that runs a pharmacy course so of course they're going to try and make it sound like this amazing career.

Look at some of the other threads under pharmacy. I actually knew all this before picking pharmacy, but that's because I genuinely really want to do it despite the worsening pay and working conditions as of late.

oh thank you i really want to study pharmacy if you dont mind me asking what university are you studying at
Reply 13
would my chances be low at ucl if my gcse grades are 77777654 but my predicted grades at a levels for maths bio chem is (aab)

I dont think they are low, as long as you have at least a 6 in GCSE maths/english you will be fine
you have already met the grade requirements for predictions so that helps your application :smile:
one thing UCL do ask for is a grade 5 in any GCSE Foreign Language, so as long as you have that your chances are high
Original post by c.hllz
I dont think they are low, as long as you have at least a 6 in GCSE maths/english you will be fine
you have already met the grade requirements for predictions so that helps your application :smile:
one thing UCL do ask for is a grade 5 in any GCSE Foreign Language, so as long as you have that your chances are high

for foreign language i got a 4
Reply 15
for foreign language i got a 4

''For UK-based students, a grade C or 5 or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required.''
[ https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/pharmacy-mpharm ]

Thats a direct quote from the website, so that could potentially make things a bit trickier for you, however id say it definitely shouldnt put you off, if i were you i would contact UCL admissions and just check with them how this could affect your application
Hope that helps (:
oh thank you i really want to study pharmacy if you dont mind me asking what university are you studying at

I study at Portsmouth University and I really enjoy it xx
Reply 17
Original post by randomsheep11
I study at Portsmouth University and I really enjoy it xx

What’s the pharmacy course like so far? Is it like A-levels in terms of difficulty? And is there a lot of maths? X
Original post by Sam2918
What’s the pharmacy course like so far? Is it like A-levels in terms of difficulty? And is there a lot of maths? X

I have liked the pharmacy course so far yeah :smile:

I didn't get amazing A Level grades (C in bio and chem and a B in French, I hated maths and only got a 5 at GCSE lol) but it was manageable tbh.

For the science, I would say that the content we did in first year is maybe simple for a few lectures, but then it really picks up and then is definitely above A Level "level". The thing though, is that the way you're assessed at uni is that not everything comes down to an end of year exam; throughout the year you do a few smaller exams based on a specific few lectures/themes so in fact it was actually really easy to just learn and memorise a few lectures and do great in the exams. I can give some tips on how I did this if you want. If you have the time (as the videos are long), watching Khan Academy videos (for university level) for the biology/chemistry/organic chemistry/health and medicine courses helps so so much!!!!

Of course for most of the year when we were first learning stuff, we were all like "umm how are we ever going to remember this", but my friends and I found that when we actually revised for the end of year exams it wasn't that bad. Studying for the exams at uni definitely is less stress and drama than for A Levels.

Regarding Maths, yeah there is a fair amount of it. In our "Pharmaceutical Chemistry" and "Introduction to Formulation" modules we had to use quite a lot of Chemistry maths (like your moles, volume, concentration, unit conversions and all that). And in the "Introduction to Pharmacy Practice" we have to do pharmaceutical calculations. What we do at Portsmouth though, is that in the first term you will have a series of Maths and Statistics lectures, and then an exam in January. The aim of these is to get everyone to a minimum level in Maths. As a person who hated maths GCSE, I was actually able to do better in the exam than loads of my friends who did A Level Maths - and that's just cause you can do really well as long as you stick to doing the activities in the workbooks provided and getting help where you don't understand. I could learn most of the Maths just from writing down all the explanations from the workbook (so i can memorise it) and doing the questions and answers underneath.

If you want to know anything else just ask :smile:
Hi everyone, I am currently in year 13, due to the current situation my school did our mocks in mid- September and I have received my predicted grades which meet the AAB requirement for Pharmacy. But I was hoping to do some class tests through which I can increase my prediction, which could mean I submit my application late November early December. I would be so grateful if someone could tell me whether submitting my application late November early December decrease my chances of getting an offer from UCL and Kings maybe because its competitive or there simply would be less spaces available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending