The Student Room Group

How to learn a new language

So I am learning french
Honestly I already know a bit it’s just communication problems and words I don’t know. Like a lot of vocabulary I don’t know

So any advice on anything to help me would be appreciated literally anything because sometimes I feel highly unmotivated because I can’t understand.

Thanks
🙏
I know a lot of people say this but watch movies/ shows, turning the subtitles off might help as well. Maybe get a french penpal?
Original post by HannahWilson9
I know a lot of people say this but watch movies/ shows, turning the subtitles off might help as well. Maybe get a french penpal?

Thanks I will make sure to do that. Any other advice on how to find french friends maybe?
Original post by Mustafa2021
So I am learning french
Honestly I already know a bit it’s just communication problems and words I don’t know. Like a lot of vocabulary I don’t know

So any advice on anything to help me would be appreciated literally anything because sometimes I feel highly unmotivated because I can’t understand.

Thanks
🙏

I’m doing Spanish gcse and I find Quizlet quite helpful, maybe that could help? It has a lot of pre made revision cards, which are really useful. Also I’ve heard some people try translating song lyrics regularly, to help expand vocabulary. Also for listening and speaking, I use Duolingo - its an app and it basically has common vocab, and listening, speaking and transalation practice. Also if you’re doing french for gcse, then you can try finding a workbook or revision guide - I use the Pearson one for Spanish and it’s really good (they have a french one as well). It has a purple front cover. Also, like the person above said, you can try watching french movies or shows with subtitles or just listen to songs. And I’ve also read somewhere that when you’re doing daily tasks, or anything in particular, try transalating what you’re doing to french, in your head. (So if you’re drawing, try transalate “I’m drawing ...” in your head). With any of these activities, make sure you keep repeating it frequently, every couple of days or something - repetition is really important for languages. Anyways, sorry for the waffle, I hope some of this helps and good luck :smile:
Hi five! I'm also learning French.
You say you lose motivation to learn this sometimes. So I'd tell you to when it happens ask your self why you've started to learn it, what your ambitions have been and wht you've been dreaming for it. Also to learn more & fast you can watch movies or listen to French songs. As you said you already know a bit so I bet if you keep your speed a bit fast, You're gonna master it!
A list of activities

Flashcards work well for visual learners. Also get a textbook and read it carefully. Make notes as well as you learn French. Do not forget to make use of bold colour as a way to retain any important information too. Watch films and annotate cartoons. Translate plays and novels. Take pictures.

Use a tape recorder, this is good for auditory learners. You can find one online at a cheap price. Have lively discussions and debates. Listen to French talk shows and play French music. Work as a team in class.

Quick Reply

Latest