The Student Room Group

Chemistry AS level question

Can someone pls help me ?

Scroll to see replies

1- It is true because one mole of any substance contains 6.02 x 10^23 particles, and one mole of H2SO4 contains 2 x6.02x10^23 of hydrogen, 1x6.02x10^23 sulfur, and 4x6.02x10^23 oxygen
2-Not true because it is not a weak acid so the concentration of hydrogen ions would be higher than the concentration of HSO4
3- Not true because sulfur contains 16 electrons and 4 oxygens contain 64 electrons
Double check tho cuz iam not a 100% sure
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Zoolato24811
1- It is true because one mole of any substance contains 6.02 x 10^23 particles, and one mole of H2SO4 contains 2 x6.02x10^23 of hydrogen, 1x6.02x10^23 sulfur, and 4x6.02x10^23 oxygen
2-Not true because it is not a weak acid so the concentration of hydrogen ions would be higher than the concentration of HSO4
3- Not true because sulfur contains 16 electrons and 4 oxygens contain 64 electrons

Can you please elaborate on the last one
Original post by mh2410
Can you please elaborate on the last one

Sulfur proton number is 16 so it has 16 electrons
Oxygen proton number is 8 so it has 8 electrons

Total number of moles of electrons = 16 from sulfur + 8 x 4 from oxygen + 2 responsible for negative charge
which is greater than 2 hence not 3

the answer is D, 1 only
Original post by mh2410
Can someone pls help me ?

I would say that 1 and 3 are correct.
@Zoolato24811 reasoning is right, but i'm quite sure that statement 3 is correct as well as statement 1.

Statement 3 is correct because, 1 mole of SO4(2-) ions would have two moles of electrons. If 1 SO4(2-) ion has 2 electrons, make the ratio of 1:2.
Multiplying by avogadro's constant and you'd get that for 1 mole of SO4(2-) ions there would be 2 moles of electrons.

Like if you had 1 mole of NO3(-) ions, there would be one mole of electrons - because the ion:electron ratio is 1:1.
Original post by NimitMistry13
I would say that 1 and 3 are correct.
@Zoolato24811 reasoning is right, but i'm quite sure that statement 3 is correct as well as statement 1.

Statement 3 is correct because, 1 mole of SO4(2-) ions would have two moles of electrons. If 1 SO4(2-) ion has 2 electrons, make the ratio of 1:2.
Multiplying by avogadro's constant and you'd get that for 1 mole of SO4(2-) ions there would be 2 moles of electrons.

Like if you had 1 mole of NO3(-) ions, there would be one mole of electrons - because the ion:electron ratio is 1:1.

No statement 3 is wrong.

You say SO4(2-) ion has 2 electrons.
S has 16 protons and O has 8 protons. The ion thus contains 48 protons. By your logic the ion should have a charge of +46. Which is clearly wrong
Reply 6
Original post by golgiapparatus31
No statement 3 is wrong.

You say SO4(2-) ion has 2 electrons.
S has 16 protons and O has 8 protons. The ion thus contains 48 protons. By your logic the ion should have a charge of +46. Which is clearly wrong

Now I’m confused even more 🤣🤣so how many moles of electrons it contains
(edited 3 years ago)
Sulfur proton number is 16 so it has 16 electrons
Oxygen proton number is 8 so it has 8 electrons

Total number of moles of electrons = 16 from sulfur + 8 x 4 from oxygen + 2 responsible for negative charge
which is greater than 2 hence not 3

the answer is D, 1 only

The extra 2 electrons responsible for the negative charge come from the oxygen atoms so you dont count them again.
Original post by mh2410
Now I’m confused even more 🤣🤣so how many moles of electrons it contains

The extra 2 electrons responsible for the negative charge come from the oxygen atoms so you dont count them again.

You do. SO4(2-) contains 50 electrons.
You do. SO4(2-) contains 50 electrons.

Nope it contains 80 electrons
Nope it contains 80 electrons

No.
Reply 12
No.

Guys I feel we have to make ionic equation out of it , when I made it for the individual ions , and added the results by making H2SO4 1 mole , there were no moles of electrons anyway , cuz the charge balances by the H+ ions
No.

4*16=64
1*16=16
They are joined by covalent bonds and no electrons are introduced from outside
16+64=80
Original post by mh2410
Guys I feel we have to make ionic equation out of it , when I made it for the individual ions , and added the results by making H2SO4 1 mole , there were no moles of electrons anyway , cuz the charge balances by the H+ ions

Even if the charge is balanced that doesnt mean that the electrons disappear

That's wrong. You say "sulfur contains 16 electrons and 4 oxygens contain 64 electrons". You imply that oxygen and sulfur atoms have the same number of electrons which is untrue.

Oxygen atom has 8 electrons, not 16.

Original post by mh2410

An oxygen atom contains 8 electrons.
A mole of oxygen atoms contains 8 moles of electrons.

Review post 6
4*16=64
1*16=16
They are joined by covalent bonds and no electrons are introduced from outside
16+64=80

Electrons ARE introduced from the outside. 2 electrons that are responsible for the negative charged are acquired from the outside
Reply 17
image.jpgThey r talking about 1 mole of contains how many electrons SO4-2 contains , when H2SO4 dissociates into SO4-2, it has no moles of electrons produced with it. If we go according to what u guys are saying , why would examiner say 2 moles of electrons and make the value far from the real value
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mh2410
They r talking about 1 mole of contains how many electrons SO4-2 contains , when H2SO4 dissociates into SO4-2, it has no moles of electrons produced with it. If we go according to what u guys are saying , why would examiner say 2 moles of electrons and make the value far from the real value

"They r talking about 1 mole of contains how many electrons SO4-2 contains"
I assume you mean
"They r talking about 1 mole of SO42- contains how many electrons"

Forget the exam question. Please answer the following questions:
(a) How many electrons does an oxygen atom have?
(b) How many moles of electrons does a mole of oxygen atoms contain?

The dissociation of H2SO4 occurs in 2 steps:
H2SO4 -> H+ + HSO4-
HSO4- -> H+ + SO42-
The first dissociation is complete as H2SO4 is a strong acid.
The second dissociation is weak because HSO4- is a weak acid. But the concentration of H+ will be greater than the concentration of HSO4- because some HSO4- will dissociate. So 2 is wrong.
Reply 19
"They r talking about 1 mole of contains how many electrons SO4-2 contains"
I assume you mean
"They r talking about 1 mole of SO42- contains how many electrons"

Forget the exam question. Please answer the following questions:
(a) How many electrons does an oxygen atom have?
(b) How many moles of electrons does a mole of oxygen atoms contain?

The dissociation of H2SO4 occurs in 2 steps:
H2SO4 -> H+ + HSO4-
HSO4- -> H+ + SO42-
The first dissociation is complete as H2SO4 is a strong acid.
The second dissociation is weak because HSO4- is a weak acid. But the concentration of H+ will be greater than the concentration of HSO4- because some HSO4- will dissociate. So 2 is wrong.

Why are you dissociating HSO4- if we need it to be dissociated from H2SO4

Quick Reply

Latest