The Student Room Group

Dealing with classism

I'm a second year biomedical sciences student born and raised in the north of England to a working class family. One of my housemates (3rd year) is treating me like **** because of this and he's making no effort to get to know me and is judging me and my intelligence purely based on my accent, home town and financial status. I feel uncomfortable and humiliated in my house but I cant afford to move houses as the other housing nearby is more expensive or very poor conditions. I don't know what to do as my university isn't bothered about dealing with most things, never mind classism (especially the vice chancellors status and demeanor). What do I do? Its causing me to have mental breakdowns and avoid being in the house where possible and safe to do so including going to see my bubble household (my fiance). I feel awful and I'm falling into repetitive self hatred thoughts which I've been working so hard on to try stop...I just feel so alone in this.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a second year biomedical sciences student born and raised in the north of England to a working class family. One of my housemates (3rd year) is treating me like **** because of this and he's making no effort to get to know me and is judging me and my intelligence purely based on my accent, home town and financial status. I feel uncomfortable and humiliated in my house but I cant afford to move houses as the other housing nearby is more expensive or very poor conditions. I don't know what to do as my university isn't bothered about dealing with most things, never mind classism (especially the vice chancellors status and demeanor). What do I do? Its causing me to have mental breakdowns and avoid being in the house where possible and safe to do so including going to see my bubble household (my fiance). I feel awful and I'm falling into repetitive self hatred thoughts which I've been working so hard on to try stop...I just feel so alone in this.

Contact your resi life and talk to them about this

I don't think you should assume that your uni wont do anything. I’d suggest reaching out to your SU and Uni about it. Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
I don't think you should assume that your uni wont do anything. I’d suggest reaching out to your SU and Uni about it. Good luck

I dont have faith because they dont even deal with on campus r**e cases. Nor have they helped me when I needed financial aid desperately.
Reply 4
Contact your resi life and talk to them about this

Apologies, i dont know what you mean by "resi life", thank you for responding though
Apologies, i dont know what you mean by "resi life", thank you for responding though

So normally for each campus area there’s a team whom you can’t contact with about anything if it affects ur mental health

See who is responsible for your accomodation or go to reception and ask for their number
I dont have faith because they dont even deal with on campus r**e cases. Nor have they helped me when I needed financial aid desperately.

I think you should give it another shot. Ask your SU, tutor and department for help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending