The Student Room Group

Chemistry homework help pls :^)

GCSE Chemistry AQA Higher Organic Chemistry:

Hello, I've got a question on my chemistry homework which has really stumped me, any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

'When hot vapours of decane are passed over a heated catalyst a reaction can occur. Write an equation to show ethene and one other product being formed in the ratio 3:1' (2 marks)
Reply 1
C10h12-->3c2h6+c2h4
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ARMY101
C10h12-->3c2h6+c2h4

Thank you, organic chemistry definitely isn't my strong point lol :banana2:
Reply 3
Original post by mysistersmells
GCSE Chemistry AQA Higher Organic Chemistry:

Hello, I've got a question on my chemistry homework which has really stumped me, any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

'When hot vapours of decane are passed over a heated catalyst a reaction can occur. Write an equation to show ethene and one other product being formed in the ratio 3:1' (2 marks)

I'm sorry, but the member who answered your question has made a mistake in their equation, and I believe it's better you understand how to approach the question rather than just copy the equation.

The process is known as catalytic cracking - the breakdown of large alkanes into smaller alkanes and alkenes by using a catalyst (usually Zeolite).

Decane is C10H22 and 3 ethene (C2H4) molecules need to be formed. There are 10 C atoms in decane, and 6 of them are needed for the formation of ethene. The remaining C and H atoms form the other product.

Hope you understood the method you need to use for these type of questions!
Reply 4
Original post by shrikha
I'm sorry, but the member who answered your question has made a mistake in their equation, and I believe it's better you understand how to approach the question rather than just copy the equation.

The process is known as catalytic cracking - the breakdown of large alkanes into smaller alkanes and alkenes by using a catalyst (usually Zeolite).

Decane is C10H22 and 3 ethene (C2H4) molecules need to be formed. There are 10 C atoms in decane, and 6 of them are needed for the formation of ethene. The remaining C and H atoms form the other product.

Hope you understood the method you need to use for these type of questions!

youre complete right i double checked and i have made a mistake its C10h12-->3c2h6+c4h10.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ARMY101
youre complete right i double checked and i have made a mistake its C10h12-->3c2h6+c4h4.

Weren't ethENE molecules supposed to be formed? Furthermore, the molecular formula of decane is C10H22, so if you typed out the question right, you should end up with C10H22 --> 3C2H4 + C4H10
Reply 6
Original post by shrikha
Weren't ethENE molecules supposed to be formed? Furthermore, the molecular formula of decane is C10H22, so if you typed out the question right, you should end up with C10H22 --> 3C2H4 + C4H10

yes
Original post by mysistersmells
Thank you, organic chemistry definitely isn't my strong point lol :banana2:

Love ur name

Quick Reply

Latest