The Student Room Group

English Lit A Level

I need to achieve at least a B, if not an A, to feel secure in my uni choices. I'm currently working at a middle C. I have talked to my teacher but I just feel a bit hopeless. Anyone have any tips for coursework, essay writing, or just generally bumping up my grades?

I'm relying on my coursework to boost my grade slightly as I tend to underperform in exams, but that doesn't even appear to be going particularly well.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
What are your modules?
Reply 2
Original post by ewpfs
What are your modules?

The Great Gatsby & Pre-1900s romantic poetry, Skirrid Hill, Othello & unseen poetry, Spies & All My Sons :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by daisyr03
The Great Gatsby & Pre-1900s romantic poetry, Skirrid Hill, Othello & unseen poetry, Spies & All My Sons :s-smilie:

For essay techniques the best thing you can do is practice. Look at what AOs are assessed, write an essay, and then highlight where you hit each AO. Give it to your teacher to read and give feedback.

For your texts, google articles on them, for example google articles on Gatsby and the theme of class, or sexuality, or gender. You can read articles about that perspective and it’ll give you some interesting insights into the text for your lessons.

For coursework, make a decent plan. You want a topic sentence > line of comparison > quotes from both texts > critics > context > mini conclusion

Read around your topics, learn about the context and the background surrounding the works you study.

For your analysis: start your paragraphs with a point and then introduce your evidence, don’t use a piece of evidence as your point. Intros and conclusions are important so make sure you make a good judgement and summary at the end. Best of luck and feel free to ask if you have any specific questions :smile:
keep doing practice essays and handing them to your teacher to mark and reflecting on the feedback of your previous ones. just keep bashing them out- it's a slog, yes but essay practise is really the most effective way to improve.
For literature, what I did to get a grade 9 for Gcse was I literally memorised paragraphs from each poems that I knew were Grade 9 standard, I only did this on the day before the exam too
Reply 6
I've given some advice on this thread. What I mentioned in that post will boost anyone's grades in this subject. I know how you feel. You can pull it back. I was in a similar spot.
"I just feel a bit hopeless"

OK get yourself organized and learn to manage the situation.

A timetable is obvious but it needs to be weighted i.e. you spend more time on your weakest points. It also needs to be reasonable, responsive and flexible. Update and adjust on a weekly basis. Set aside sometime just for this.

As you progress and practice this you will feel less hopeless and more confident.

"under-perform in exams" find out why. Is it stress related? Is it about time management? Search out your weaknesses and eradicate them.

Good Luck.

P.S. don't forget to have time for rest and relaxation.
Reply 8
Original post by Grizwuld

A timetable is obvious but it needs to be weighted i.e. you spend more time on your weakest points. It also needs to be reasonable, responsive and flexible. Update and adjust on a weekly basis. Set aside sometime just for this.

As you progress and practice this you will feel less hopeless and more confident.

"under-perform in exams" find out why. Is it stress related? Is it about time management? Search out your weaknesses and eradicate them.

Good Luck.

Thank you for your reply! I think underperforming in exams does come from stress, as I generally do better in tasks which are not set in exam conditions. I'll start a timetable this week :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Grizwuld

Good Luck.

Thank you for your reply! I think underperforming in exams does come from stress, as I generally do better in tasks which are not set in exam conditions. I'll start a timetable this week :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ewpfs
For essay techniques the best thing you can do is practice. Look at what AOs are assessed, write an essay, and then highlight where you hit each AO. Give it to your teacher to read and give feedback.

For your texts, google articles on them, for example google articles on Gatsby and the theme of class, or sexuality, or gender. You can read articles about that perspective and it’ll give you some interesting insights into the text for your lessons.

For coursework, make a decent plan. You want a topic sentence > line of comparison > quotes from both texts > critics > context > mini conclusion

Read around your topics, learn about the context and the background surrounding the works you study.

For your analysis: start your paragraphs with a point and then introduce your evidence, don’t use a piece of evidence as your point. Intros and conclusions are important so make sure you make a good judgement and summary at the end. Best of luck and feel free to ask if you have any specific questions :smile:

This is so helpful, thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest