The Student Room Group

Should Medicine be Graduate Entry Only?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etomidate
Are we really all pretending that shadowing a receptionist is actually useful for becoming a doctor?

I know doctors are beaten down into being self-flaggellating saps, but come on now.

For one day in med school? Yeah sure. Should also do a day with a nurse, physio, OT, pharmacist. Could make a week out of it! :tongue:

Probably not great work experience though tbh.
Original post by nexttime
For one day in med school? Yeah sure. Should also do a day with a nurse, physio, OT, pharmacist. Could make a week out of it! :tongue:

Probably not great work experience though tbh.

I don't recall ever be shadowed by anyone other than medical students as a doctor which is interesting because I was required to shadow nurses, HCAs, dieticians, physios, OTs and pharmacists during my training.

But then again, we're naughty arrogant doctors who need to learn to be humble and not rude, stuck up elitists, right?
I don't recall ever be shadowed by anyone other than medical students as a doctor which is interesting because I was required to shadow nurses, HCAs, dieticians, physios, OTs and pharmacists during my training.

But then again, we're naughty arrogant doctors who need to learn to be humble and not rude, stuck up elitists, right?

Yes, this is something I also believe is a double standard. I am all for people finding out more about eachother's roles but I don't see why it is always so one sided, and there is often a hint of resentment behind it with staff exercising the chip on their shoulder knowing that as a student you couldn't say anything back.

Sitting in with the receptionists for a couple of hours isn't a bad idea for applicants because it teaches them about the many faces of the general public (and hopefully starts to shift excessive idealism). Meeting the receptionists in a small close knit working environment like a GP surgery as an FY2 helps break the ice and keeps things moving smoothly. These are all practical advantages imho.

Asking just medical students to shadow everyone for no discernable reason at all and tying it up with completing a placement...is not really the same.
Reply 63
Original post by becausethenight
(inspired by @ecolier, as all great things on the medicine TSR are :biggrin:)

Basically what it says on the tin. There's a poll, but I'd be more interested to hear people say why they think what they think in a post!

My position: no, because as an 18yo I don't feel that I'd be made 'more ready' to do medicine by an undergrad degree, and 18yos do appear to be capable of doing the degree and having some success.

I've mentioned people from medicine forums who might be interested :smile:

Spoiler

I think if you wre fresh out of school you may face some difficulties initially (there may be a higher chance that it may become slightly difficult to cope with the big jump in difficulty that medical school (or any uni degree entails). However, you may be less "burned out" and finance is less of an issue as many have said.

Going for an undergrad degree first can give you a good grounding, especially if its something life science related. This can make it easier to deal with the workload you face in med school. However, finances become a big issue here and I also think you may become a bit fatigued in the process.

Best of both worlds: A gap year. Gives you enough time to rethink your career choice and develop maturity. Is also like a constructive break where you focus on holistic development.
Reply 64
Are we really all pretending that shadowing a receptionist is actually useful for becoming a doctor?

I know doctors are beaten down into being self-flaggellating saps, but come on now.

I think my comment was for med school application, not for being a Dr...... in the same way that working in a bar, in Tesco or any other customer facing job is helpful (ie, usually better than shadowing a clinician)
But yes, I believe a short period of seeing what keeps the machine rolling (especially for Primary Care) is useful

I was shadowed by a student nurse once. Which was very unfortunate as it was the quietest day I'd had on that rotation and did literally nothing for half the day... not the best impression...

Edit: actually shadowed by nurses training to be ANPs, and PA students a fair amount. Not the same though.

But otherwise no never, agree that is a massive double standard.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by A_J_B
I think if you wre fresh out of school you may face some difficulties initially (there may be a higher chance that it may become slightly difficult to cope with the big jump in difficulty that medical school (or any uni degree entails). However, you may be less "burned out" and finance is less of an issue as many have said.

Interesting. I am a bit worried by the jump in content (don't know any med students IRL, my partner is in his first year reading biochem and his stuff is...intimidatingly different to A level, so not reassuring :tongue:) I suppose people manage, and again undergraduate med attrition rates are pretty low, but if you or anyone has tips :biggrin:
Original post by A_J_B
Going for an undergrad degree first can give you a good grounding, especially if its something life science related. This can make it easier to deal with the workload you face in med school. However, finances become a big issue here and I also think you may become a bit fatigued in the process.

Best of both worlds: A gap year. Gives you enough time to rethink your career choice and develop maturity. Is also like a constructive break where you focus on holistic development.

I have always been (perhaps unjustifiably!) skeptical of gap years, just because I could never really think of what I'd do on one, and most people I know taking one are treating it very much as a "gap yah" for partying and reapplying to Oxbridge (independent schools...). More realistically, I'd assume a medical applicant gap year would be a good opportunity for more WEx and volunteering, but most if not all applicants will have done some of that before applying. I know @ecolier as an interviewer finds that gap year applicants tend to be much better at interview, though - possibly because at 18+ you can do more hands-on volunteer/paid work?
A gap year would definitely make the application process less stressful, though!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 67
Interesting. I am a bit worried by the jump in content (don't know any med students IRL, my partner is in his first year reading biochem and his stuff is...intimidatingly different to A level, so not reassuring :tongue:) I suppose people manage, and again undergraduate med attrition rates are pretty low, but if you or anyone has tips :biggrin:

I have always been (perhaps unjustifiably!) skeptical of gap years, just because I could never really think of what I'd do on one, and most people I know taking one are treating it very much as a "gap yah" for partying and reapplying to Oxbridge (independent schools...). More realistically, I'd assume a medical applicant gap year would be a good opportunity for more WEx and volunteering, but most if not all applicants will have done some of that before applying. I know @ecolier as an interviewer finds that gap year applicants tend to be much better at interview, though - possibly because at 18+ you can do more hands-on volunteer/paid work?
A gap year would definitely make the application process less stressful, though!

Yes, I also find you can tell the difference between the gap year and school leaver applicants at interview. Grads are a different bunch again. There are some very mature 18 year old, but on the whole, I think that extra year benefits most people. It is also the last chance you are likely to get for a while to pretty much do what you want!
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, I also find you can tell the difference between the gap year and school leaver applicants at interview. Grads are a different bunch again. There are some very mature 18 year old, but on the whole, I think that extra year benefits most people. It is also the last chance you are likely to get for a while to pretty much do what you want!

I defer to you guys, and there’s a lot to be said for just doing what you want for a year! I don’t know if it’s a bad sign that my immediate thought was “Classics!” and not anything medicine related... :tongue:
I’m guessing that most people who take gap years work as HCAs or in healthcare volunteering for part of it? Or is it more varied?
Reply 69
I defer to you guys, and there’s a lot to be said for just doing what you want for a year! I don’t know if it’s a bad sign that my immediate thought was “Classics!” and not anything medicine related... :tongue:
I’m guessing that most people who take gap years work as HCAs or in healthcare volunteering for part of it? Or is it more varied?

They usually do a bit of volunteering, work in a non-healthcare job for a while and then travel. Sounds pretty Classic to me :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
They usually do a bit of volunteering, work in a non-healthcare job for a while and then travel. Sounds pretty Classic to me :smile:

That's basically what I did! Applied for deferred entry though, so was no more mature than direct applicants when I was interviewed.

I worked on reception in a FE college and volunteered for the winter in a Girlguiding centre in the Swiss Alps. Not medical at all but useful experience nonetheless!
Reply 71
Original post by Helenia
That's basically what I did! Applied for deferred entry though, so was no more mature than direct applicants when I was interviewed.

I worked on reception in a FE college and volunteered for the winter in a Girlguiding centre in the Swiss Alps. Not medical at all but useful experience nonetheless!

Yes, shadowing is useful to see what a Dr does and if it is potentially the right career for you, but other types of WEx actually teach you life skills much more effectively
Reply 72
I am late to the party here, but have a slightly different opinion so thought I would share it.

I think it would be a great idea if all potential medics did a 3 year Bachelor of Medicine (like St Andrews, although course styles would vary and may include more placements than St A) and applied for the 3 clinical years towards the end of the BM. You could have many more places available on the BM courses than there currently are for medicine, with the expectation that a certain percentage would progress to clinical degrees.

The reasons I think this are:
- it would give people extra time to decide that medicine was really for them, they either leave with a good degree or progress, natural wastage in the first three years would not lead to a loss of medics for the clinical years;
- it would be less elitist. It is a sad truth that people from high performing schools have a big advantage as they get better support at school for applications, getting advice and interview practice. There is a school near us which identifies an "Oxbridge and Medicine" cohort in Y9 and supports them in developing the skills which will get them places. Very few people from normal schools can get an interview at Cardiff, and it is much easier to get AAA at a high performing school than it is at an average school which rarely sees those sort of results.

People would not have the comfort of starting with 100% confident of progressing to the the next stage, but more people would get to the starting gate.
Original post by TCL
I am late to the party here, but have a slightly different opinion so thought I would share it.

I think it would be a great idea if all potential medics did a 3 year Bachelor of Medicine (like St Andrews, although course styles would vary and may include more placements than St A) and applied for the 3 clinical years towards the end of the BM. You could have many more places available on the BM courses than there currently are for medicine, with the expectation that a certain percentage would progress to clinical degrees.

The reasons I think this are:
- it would give people extra time to decide that medicine was really for them, they either leave with a good degree or progress, natural wastage in the first three years would not lead to a loss of medics for the clinical years;
- it would be less elitist. It is a sad truth that people from high performing schools have a big advantage as they get better support at school for applications, getting advice and interview practice. There is a school near us which identifies an "Oxbridge and Medicine" cohort in Y9 and supports them in developing the skills which will get them places. Very few people from normal schools can get an interview at Cardiff, and it is much easier to get AAA at a high performing school than it is at an average school which rarely sees those sort of results.

People would not have the comfort of starting with 100% confident of progressing to the the next stage, but more people would get to the starting gate.

So a premed degree which you must do to enter the final medical degree? What proportion would you anticipate progressing? My thoughts in no order:

- Just more rigorous and specific selection in general. Given how much we spend on doctors throughout the career, I am always surprised by how few resources go into selection of the right candidates. Even applications for many office jobs tend to be just as, if not more rigorous. This goes some way to addressing that gap.
- Sounds stressful. I didn't experience much negative competitive behaviour at uni but you hear stories. Anything that does exist will be 10x worse here surely. But that's the price you pay for more rigorous selection I guess? Also, medicine kind of is stressful anyway?
- Not a fan of early clinical contact then I take it :tongue: Or would that be part of the course too? Because if so costs start to rise, for people who won't necessarily be becoming doctors. Even Oxbridge do some clinical contact in the first 3 years currently.
- Won't it still benefit high performing schools? Unless your anticipated progression % is very low, they could still select for AAA+ candidates. Although I suppose its a green light for more socially inclusive initiatives, as even if you accept a CCC student, if they progress then they have proven themselves? Or could any uni offer a 'premed' degree, in which case % progressing may be very small?
- Would you be able to apply to any uni when applying for the clinical component? That would be very good for some, very very disruptive for others.
- If so to the above - you also have to ask about standardisation - what is going to ensure grades from these preclinical degrees are comparable. For example I presume entry standards would continue to vary so a simple decile system may not be at all fair. Would there be a preclinical UKMLE component at this stage?
- The myriad of confusing and crazily variable entry requirements for med schools is not a good thing. It certainly favours those who have coaching for applications. This system would likely get rid of much of that, depending on how competitive it stays?
Reply 74
Original post by nexttime
So a premed degree which you must do to enter the final medical degree? What proportion would you anticipate progressing? My thoughts in no order:

- Just more rigorous and specific selection in general. Given how much we spend on doctors throughout the career, I am always surprised by how few resources go into selection of the right candidates. Even applications for many office jobs tend to be just as, if not more rigorous. This goes some way to addressing that gap.
- Sounds stressful. I didn't experience much negative competitive behaviour at uni but you hear stories. Anything that does exist will be 10x worse here surely. But that's the price you pay for more rigorous selection I guess? Also, medicine kind of is stressful anyway?
- Not a fan of early clinical contact then I take it :tongue: Or would that be part of the course too? Because if so costs start to rise, for people who won't necessarily be becoming doctors. Even Oxbridge do some clinical contact in the first 3 years currently.
- Won't it still benefit high performing schools? Unless your anticipated progression % is very low, they could still select for AAA+ candidates. Although I suppose its a green light for more socially inclusive initiatives, as even if you accept a CCC student, if they progress then they have proven themselves? Or could any uni offer a 'premed' degree, in which case % progressing may be very small?
- Would you be able to apply to any uni when applying for the clinical component? That would be very good for some, very very disruptive for others.
- If so to the above - you also have to ask about standardisation - what is going to ensure grades from these preclinical degrees are comparable. For example I presume entry standards would continue to vary so a simple decile system may not be at all fair. Would there be a preclinical UKMLE component at this stage?
- The myriad of confusing and crazily variable entry requirements for med schools is not a good thing. It certainly favours those who have coaching for applications. This system would likely get rid of much of that, depending on how competitive it stays?

I think it would be a lot like a biomedical sciences degree, but with as many placements as could be managed. I am not anti early clinical contact, but from what I have seen and read it seems to be mainly about developing communication skills through observing and talking to patients. Maybe there could be more placements in care homes for the first couple of years, which is a growing sector, if hospital placements needed to be spread more thinly.

SGUL also does a similar thing, but presumably on a fairly small scale, I think the best performing Biomed students can enter Y3(?) of the medicine course when they graduate.

If graduates from any discipline can currently do 4 year GEM, surely a 3 year pre-med degree could include the first year of a GEM course across the 3 years.

If I was trying to flesh out the idea, maybe the medical schools would run the premed degrees and effectively combine their biomedical and medicine provision to provide something between the two, with third year options to go in a more medicine or biomedical direction. Most progression would probably be within the same medical school.

I don't really think there will ever be such a radical overhaul, but it would be nice if more people had a chance to prove themselves and, as you say, £250k investment of tax payer money in training each doctor and a job for life could be awarded more rationally and fairly if there was a 3 year period to assess the suitability of people.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TCL
I don't really think there will ever be such a radical overhaul, but it would be nice if more people had a chance to prove themselves and, as you say, £250k investment of tax payer money in training each doctor and a job for life could be awarded more rationally and fairly if there was a 3 year period to assess the suitability of people.

Its not just the £250k. For example when giving a training number to a new registrar, you are effectively saying 'yes, this is the person we should give ~£3million in wages to over a lifetime, and put in charge of allocating expensive tests and treatments (?? maybe like £5-20m worth of NHS services in a lifetime? Depending how you define it?), and maybe directing the future of the entire service. Yet my interview was 3 x 8 minutes.

Pretty sure Tesco would interview for longer for a checkout assistant.
Medicine should be graduate-entry only, i believe. I wonder how many people would still be motivated into studying medicine if they were required to sit a bachelors degree beforehand. The number of applicants per cycle would definitely reduce
Original post by candidate415
Medicine should be graduate-entry only, i believe. I wonder how many people would still be motivated into studying medicine if they were required to sit a bachelors degree beforehand. The number of applicants per cycle would definitely reduce

Yes, and it wouldn’t just reduce due to people losing motivation, it would reduce because not that many people can afford to take out student loans for a bachelors degree and then do GEM, which would require them to take out more (but only partial!) loans from the NHS and then self fund the rest, because it would totally feasible for the majority of people to do that. Ah yes, I really think making something already difficult for those from disadvantaged backgrounds even more difficult is a great idea 🙄
Original post by Anonymous17!
Yes, and it wouldn’t just reduce due to people losing motivation, it would reduce because not that many people can afford to take out student loans for a bachelors degree and then do GEM, which would require them to take out more (but only partial!) loans from the NHS and then self fund the rest, because it would totally feasible for the majority of people to do that. Ah yes, I really think making something already difficult for those from disadvantaged backgrounds even more difficult is a great idea 🙄

Thank you for your response.

I am currently in 2nd year of my bachelors degree. My flatmate is from a disadvantaged background, also in her 2nd year of undergrad with the intentions of applying to medicine. She receives the full, standard tuition loan and 7k worth of maintenance - enough to pay her rent and food for the year.

A student loan is simply extra tax you pay when you meet the minimum amount to be able to pay it back. Watch Martin Lewis 'student loans decoded' on youtube.

The only aspect here which is different from the regular undergraduate route, is the fact that its 3 years extra to study an undergrad. My opinion has not changed in the slightest.
I think many people underestimate the amount someone is able to mature and mentally progress during their three-year bachelors degree.

'Better doctors come out of graduate entry medicine' - my lecturer who was a personal tutor/admissions tutor for graduate entry medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending