The Student Room Group

Dropping a A Level subject

original :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6769030

I am doing Further maths, Maths, Physics, Computer science

I want to drop computer science .

that still counts as 3 A levels right i thinks so Just checking

I am failing equally but my predicted for my computer science(the teacher always shows how good this students do and he boosts predicted grades to make him look good ) is Higher by one grade but I hate it now I hate coding I am "failing equally", but I like maths more so I will put more efforted it to it , in year 13 now failing all my a levels anyway but hope dropping this will help but I probably have to resit I am so behind everyone i just want a reset button

idk my life has gone to **** and would like to die as soon as possible but that is be sides the point

Just cheeking if I am going to be ok with UCAS i am going to do civil engineering in university
If you go onto Ucas website you can search for civil engineering courses and check entry requirements at unis you are interested in. You do only need 3A levels and this will help you pick most useful ones.
Definitely drop a subject - those are 4 very difficult A levels and it’s best to just do 3. Of course make sure you drop the right one by checking the requirements for your uni course. I’m doing maths and further and it’s so difficult and stressful - i feel your pain
be careful some unis like UCL don't like having further maths as your 4th subject,
Original post by mike_dewhurst1
be careful some unis like UCL don't like having further maths as your 4th subject,

no
Original post by izzxm
Definitely drop a subject - those are 4 very difficult A levels and it’s best to just do 3. Of course make sure you drop the right one by checking the requirements for your uni course. I’m doing maths and further and it’s so difficult and stressful - i feel your pain

all of them say :

Mathematics and one of: Biology, Chemistry, Design & Technology, Further Mathematics, ICT, Physics.
3 A-levels is what uni's will be expecting. It's better to have 3 with good grades than 4 and poor or even average grades because it's too much work. I think it would be worth dropping one if it's affecting the grades of the others.
Original post by Kogomogo
3 A-levels is what uni's will be expecting. It's better to have 3 with good grades than 4 and poor or even average grades because it's too much work. I think it would be worth dropping one if it's affecting the grades of the others.

well my predicted grade are **** so i would have to do good in the real thing and go trough adjustment fop to get in to like a ABB Uni idk its a mess
Original post by ɪnˈtɛrəˌgeɪtɝ
well my predicted grade are **** so i would have to do good in the real thing and go trough adjustment fop to get in to like a ABB Uni idk its a mess

That sucks, it may be worth meeting with your teachers after class and telling them that you need your predicted grades to be higher for the course you want. Perhaps ask them if there's anything you can do to convince them such as taking a mock exam or submitting an independent essay / project or something.

At worst there is always extra / adjustment like you said, or could take a gap year and re-apply once you have your grades. Gap years can be really useful for cv's and applications if you make the most of them and get lots of experience either developing yourself or in work.

Hoping it all works out for you anyway in the end.
That sucks, it may be worth meeting with your teachers after class and telling them that you need your predicted grades to be higher for the course you want. Perhaps ask them if there's anything you can do to convince them such as taking a mock exam or submitting an independent essay / project or something.

At worst there is always extra / adjustment like you said, or could take a gap year and re-apply once you have your grades. Gap years can be really useful for cv's and applications if you make the most of them and get lots of experience either developing yourself or in work.

Hoping it all works out for you anyway in the end.

might have to take a gap year because covid **** my work experience
Original post by ɪnˈtɛrəˌgeɪtɝ
might have to take a gap year because covid **** my work experience

I feel you, I haven't been able to get any myself and know others are in the same boat. It might even turn out to be a blessing you never know, a lot of students right now are unhappy because they aren't getting the experience they wanted. If it continues into next year too we might still be looking at lots of online lectures and stuff. I wonder myself whether it's best to apply for 22 entry so I'm not going to get too hung up if i don't get in this time around, might just end up getting a better experience for it in the end.

A gap year can be really good too, can get some money saved away by working so you have more to spend in uni on fun stuff or even studying abroad, can go travelling if covid permits or can get that work experience in. They can be really great for making your application stronger and getting in to an even better uni in the end. In the long run getting into uni one year earlier won't make any difference to your career, so best to enjoy the time while you can get it i think.
I feel you, I haven't been able to get any myself and know others are in the same boat. It might even turn out to be a blessing you never know, a lot of students right now are unhappy because they aren't getting the experience they wanted. If it continues into next year too we might still be looking at lots of online lectures and stuff. I wonder myself whether it's best to apply for 22 entry so I'm not going to get too hung up if i don't get in this time around, might just end up getting a better experience for it in the end.

A gap year can be really good too, can get some money saved away by working so you have more to spend in uni on fun stuff or even studying abroad, can go travelling if covid permits or can get that work experience in. They can be really great for making your application stronger and getting in to an even better uni in the end. In the long run getting into uni one year earlier won't make any difference to your career, so best to enjoy the time while you can get it i think.

ya , if i am paying paying 9k and another 9 k for accommodation i want the best experience possible.

Quick Reply

Latest