The Student Room Group

Year 12 losing hope ):

Sorry if this formats incorrectly, it's my first time posting here.

I'm a few months into my year 12 a levels and I chose subjects I thought I'd be good at. I want to leave my sixth form and do different subjects, I hate my current ones and want to do things I'll enjoy. I feel hopeless and like I'm forcing myself to come in every day because I want to do textiles and art and history, or just straight up btec art, but I'm made to keep doing these subjects. What are my options? At the end of year 12, can I transfer to another school and resit year 12 so I can do subjects I want to? I got passing grades at gcse. Is there any hope at all?
Original post by kerosczne

I'm a few months into my year 12 a levels and I chose subjects I thought I'd be good at. I want to leave my sixth form and do different subjects, I hate my current ones and want to do things I'll enjoy. I feel hopeless and like I'm forcing myself to come in every day because I want to do textiles and art and history, or just straight up btec art, but I'm made to keep doing these subjects. What are my options? At the end of year 12, can I transfer to another school and resit year 12 so I can do subjects I want to? I got passing grades at gcse. Is there any hope at all?

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear this :frown:
I would speak to someone, like your tutor, at college and explain your dilemma and they should be able to offer some advice to you.
No one should be making you do certain subjects and you should be studying something that you enjoy. If you have to keep pushing your college to allow you to make this change then do, I know I had to when I wanted to drop a subject at a level.
I would say it's a bit late now to change college or even subjects, but it is still worth asking. There might be something you could be doing in the meantime before you start year 12 again next year.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kerosczne

Year 13 student here! I thoroughly regret taking chemistry A-level (I personally do love my other subjects tho) so here is what I learnt/did and I’ll give you some other options but don’t worry, you’re gonna be okay!
What I did & learnt:
Initially I was excited but as time went on I realised I was terrible at chemistry and I hated it loads
it was too late for me to change to another alevel so i kept going
i’m still really bad but i’ve learnt resilience and i’ve gained some amazing friends that i wouldn’t have if i quit
i got into my top choice uni so my life isn’t over

what your options are
keep pushing
ask if there’s any chance you can change
you can definitely re do year 12 (my friend is at the moment!)
- you can either change schools or stay at you current one but you gotta ask

you’ve got this x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear this :frown:
I would speak to someone, like your tutor, at college and explain your dilemma and they should be able to offer some advice to you.
No one should be making you do certain subjects and you should be studying something that you enjoy. If you have to keep pushing your college to allow you to make this change then do, I know I had to when I wanted to drop a subject at a level.
I would say it's a bit late now to change college or even subjects, but it is still worth asking. There might be something you could be doing in the meantime before you start year 12 again next year.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank u sm <3
Reply 4
Original post by 14t
Year 13 student here! I thoroughly regret taking chemistry A-level (I personally do love my other subjects tho) so here is what I learnt/did and I’ll give you some other options but don’t worry, you’re gonna be okay!
What I did & learnt:
Initially I was excited but as time went on I realised I was terrible at chemistry and I hated it loads
it was too late for me to change to another alevel so i kept going
i’m still really bad but i’ve learnt resilience and i’ve gained some amazing friends that i wouldn’t have if i quit
i got into my top choice uni so my life isn’t over

what your options are
keep pushing
ask if there’s any chance you can change
you can definitely re do year 12 (my friend is at the moment!)
- you can either change schools or stay at you current one but you gotta ask

you’ve got this x

Thank you so much! I'd rather not change schools, but I'll look into it if I can't change. Thank you for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest