The Student Room Group

Years 12/13 and parents

hello all!! this is gonna b pretty personal rip and ofc this question is only for those who want to answer ^-^

so i'm in year 12 and aiming pretty high for university choices and my parents expect a lot from me.. my mother really tries to help but she's a very anxious person and we don't have the most healthy or easy relationship. meanwhile my dad acts like he doesn't care but he's going to be basing his entire idea of me (and probably also whether he funds my studies) on whether i get into cambridge lmao. i don't want to lose contact with them when i leave, but at the same time i never want to speak to them again, it's complicated. so ig i'm just wondering how your relationships w your parents held up, even with all the pressure on everyone and all their expectations ^^"

tldr: it'd be really appreciated if people with strained relationships with their parents were willing to share how that evolved through the application process, A levels, and going to uni
My relationship with my parents was pretty messed up aswell. High expectations, i was not allowed to make mistakes, and if i did, i was a burden.. however, after marriage, and im talking about 10 plus years later. I appreciate the help i get from them regarding babysetting and every little thing. The thing with parents is "u can never fall out forever." Like u do with ur friends or relationships. Today, it's hate. Tomorrow, it's love. Hope this helps. U might find them a hassle now but things will get better
Original post by Anonymous #1
My relationship with my parents was pretty messed up aswell. High expectations, i was not allowed to make mistakes, and if i did, i was a burden.. however, after marriage, and im talking about 10 plus years later. I appreciate the help i get from them regarding babysetting and every little thing. The thing with parents is "u can never fall out forever." Like u do with ur friends or relationships. Today, it's hate. Tomorrow, it's love. Hope this helps. U might find them a hassle now but things will get better

you're probably right, thank you for sharing ^-^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending