The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Decision

I am an Oxbridge Engineering Re-Applicant and this year I feel that Cambridge should not have rejected me pre-interview. What should I do if I feel that the decision was unfair?
depends, why do you feel that their decision was unfair?
Reply 2
Original post by casabonita
depends, why do you feel that their decision was unfair?

Since I got rejected from Oxford for 2020 entry I had enrolled in a local University in my country(Mauritius). I thus have quite some knowledge on university level engineering. Pre-Covid I prepared for the cancelled June 2021 further maths exam and ordered some recommended textbooks by Imperial College London for personal further reading. I successfully completed MOOCs from MIT, Harvard, Imperial and TokyoTech. I completed a virtual engineering program with Goldman Sachs. My reference was great as it showed my enthusiasm towards engineering and how I went beyond the A-Level syllabus during high school. In addition to A-Levels I studied AS Level Biology and General Paper and even got an 'a' in both subjects. I got positive feedback on my personal statement from several people. I sat for a Diploma of Studies in French Language exam so that I could go on a year-abroad program with Cambridge.

That said, I believe that Cambridge should have at least invited for the interview.
Ask for feedback in January to find out why you were rejected.
Original post by Anonymous
Since I got rejected from Oxford for 2020 entry I had enrolled in a local University in my country(Mauritius). I thus have quite some knowledge on university level engineering. Pre-Covid I prepared for the cancelled June 2021 further maths exam and ordered some recommended textbooks by Imperial College London for personal further reading. I successfully completed MOOCs from MIT, Harvard, Imperial and TokyoTech. I completed a virtual engineering program with Goldman Sachs. My reference was great as it showed my enthusiasm towards engineering and how I went beyond the A-Level syllabus during high school. In addition to A-Levels I studied AS Level Biology and General Paper and even got an 'a' in both subjects. I got positive feedback on my personal statement from several people. I sat for a Diploma of Studies in French Language exam so that I could go on a year-abroad program with Cambridge.

That said, I believe that Cambridge should have at least invited for the interview.

the course is very competitive, so maybe you didnt do as well on the admissions exam as other students :frown: you'll do great wherevers next though!
I am an Oxbridge Engineering Re-Applicant and this year I feel that Cambridge should not have rejected me pre-interview. What should I do if I feel that the decision was unfair?

I suggest you get over it, move on.
You dont have access to the full cohort of applicants, the detail of their applicant analysis and are not in a position to make a judgment.
Reply 6
Original post by casabonita
the course is very competitive, so maybe you didnt do as well on the admissions exam as other students :frown: you'll do great wherevers next though!

Okay
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
I suggest you get over it, move on.
You dont have access to the full cohort of applicants, the detail of their applicant analysis and are not in a position to make a judgment.

Even Imperial rejected me tho

Move on.
Reply 9

Have you perhaps considered you are biased and overstating your achievements? Oxbridge have designed their process to go past grades, and assess a person's actual aptitudes, grades and extra curriculars alone won't get you an offer.
Original post by Anumu
Have you perhaps considered you are biased and overstating your achievements? Oxbridge have designed their process to go past grades, and assess a person's actual aptitudes, grades and extra curriculars alone won't get you an offer.

Might be the case. But what is required to actually get in?
Reply 11

Only the admissions know that, but plenty of people get rejected with A*A*A*, so you can rest assured a rejection doesn't mean they are not being fair to you.

Which college did u apply to? What course did u apply for? I know Cambridge is general engineering but imperial wants to see Ur passion for a specific branch of engineering. So maybe if u didn't expand on that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending