The Student Room Group

Becoming a Solicitor through a non-law degree then taking the SQE Degree

Is it possible to become a solicitor through the SQE way and how long would it take?
Would the SQE be funded by law firms or do we have to pay for it?
Would I be able to work as a solicitor and what are the benefits of a doing a non-law degree then doing SQE?

Thank you
yep! They amended tht recently so now u could either study a law degree first then take the SQE exams or study a non-law degree and do the same I believe & u can get funding for them too!
check this out: https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/career-advice/becoming-a-solicitor/solicitors-qualifying-examination-sqe
Original post by HS_1
yep! They amended tht recently so now u could either study a law degree first then take the SQE exams or study a non-law degree and do the same I believe & u can get funding for them too!
check this out: https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/career-advice/becoming-a-solicitor/solicitors-qualifying-examination-sqe

Thanks - do you know whether it's better to do a non-law degree then do SQE and will it attract employers?
Original post by Keri00Summers
Thanks - do you know whether it's better to do a non-law degree then do SQE and will it attract employers?

np! Don't think it hugely matters as u'll need the same level of skills/training which u will attain after both degrees anyway, however, I'm not entirely sure, sorry!
Original post by HS_1
np! Don't think it hugely matters as u'll need the same level of skills/training which u will attain after both degrees anyway, however, I'm not entirely sure, sorry!

Thanks for the help anyway
It won't matter which route you do except it will take less time and less debt if you read law at university (unless a law firm pays for the training after you graduate in which case no extra debt). The SQE is only just coming in so no one is 100% sure of things yet including how the big law firms will approach it. If you can start an LLB which includes SQE1 preparation and then take the SQE1 the summer you graduate in Law (not sure if that will be possible but might be) then you will then just have SQE2 to study for and pass in year 4 as it were and need your 2 years of training work.
Original post by 17Student17
It won't matter which route you do except it will take less time and less debt if you read law at university (unless a law firm pays for the training after you graduate in which case no extra debt). The SQE is only just coming in so no one is 100% sure of things yet including how the big law firms will approach it. If you can start an LLB which includes SQE1 preparation and then take the SQE1 the summer you graduate in Law (not sure if that will be possible but might be) then you will then just have SQE2 to study for and pass in year 4 as it were and need your 2 years of training work.

I already sent my application last week and have gotten two offers.
Course: criminology and psychology

I could go into clearing or adjustment to do law but the thing is i cannot memorise things properly so i thought of this route

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending