The Student Room Group

Can't wrap my head around why I was rejected..

I would hate to come across as cocky, but I simply can't seem to wrap my head around why I would be rejected by Cambridge pre-interview for Economics. My PS was deemed to be good by multiple teachers. I am predicted 4A*s and an A, and have a strong set of GCSEs (straight 9s). I am an international applicant hoping to be interviewed by the Overseas team as I currently live in Thailand, but opted for the Singapore interviews. I feel so demotivated right now. I found the pre-interview assessment rather challenging, could this be the sole reason why?
Could be any number of reasons for which you may never find answers.
how much % in your personal statement was academic vs non academic
I'm in the same boat as you. We can request feedback in Jan though (I think).. Sorry to hear you got rejected though ;/ It does suck.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
how much % in your personal statement was academic vs non academic

Whole thing was academic except for the final few sentences where I spoke about a few relevant extracurriculars and how I have picked up skills from them which would aid me with my degree choice.
Whole thing was academic except for the final few sentences where I spoke about a few relevant extracurriculars and how I have picked up skills from them which would aid me with my degree choice.

i know every situation is different but I have a friend last year who got rejected from Oxford because she didn't have enough non academic
Reply 6
i know every situation is different but I have a friend last year who got rejected from Oxford because she didn't have enough non academic

That is weird as we are told again and again at school that top universities only care about academics and that other things will be written in the reference
That is weird as we are told again and again at school that top universities only care about academics and that other things will be written in the reference

Yeah I didn't apply but my school told us for top unis 70% academic 30% non academic
Have you taken an entrance exam?
Reply 9

It's worth keeping in mind that competition is very tough, and everyone is applying with stellar predicted grades, so the admissions test and personal statement/reference matter a lot. It's likely a combination of the two - if they have two near identical candidates and one interview slot left, unfortunately they're more likely to pick the one who got a few more marks on the admissions assessment or has done one more essay competition. Best of luck for your other choices!
I would hate to come across as cocky, but I simply can't seem to wrap my head around why I would be rejected by Cambridge pre-interview for Economics. My PS was deemed to be good by multiple teachers. I am predicted 4A*s and an A, and have a strong set of GCSEs (straight 9s). I am an international applicant hoping to be interviewed by the Overseas team as I currently live in Thailand, but opted for the Singapore interviews. I feel so demotivated right now. I found the pre-interview assessment rather challenging, could this be the sole reason why?

a) grades aren’t everything
b) just because your teachers say your personal statement doesn’t mean that it is
c) did you write about any extra or super curriculars? Do you have any work experience, particularly banks? Do you have any other qualification?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending