The Student Room Group

Why do you like Literature?...

Why do you like literature?
Because it's amazing. And most of the great works in history have been derived from literature!
Because it teaches me empathy for others. And it also boosts my understanding of historical times and how people lived too. It is a really great way to improve your vocabulary and also learn about other countries, foreign cultures, and so on. Oh it is a good way to teach history btw as well. You can theoretically learn so much.
By reading popular works of Chinese literature for example, I have learned a lot more about different types of human behaviour and how the mind works. A Chinese Cinderella taught me all about how a disturbed mind functions for instance on top of that. When I read A Christmas Carol as a child I picked up so many clues as to how physical sickness can really tear families apart.
This is why it is very important to read beyond the lines of any literary text to completely understand the unseen background of any text. Think about what has been not written down either in order to do so fully. Not only will this deepen your understanding of the text, you will master the amazing ability of being able to read beyond a text. When the examiner expects you to engage with a classical text, this is a part of what they are talking about here. I hope this is useful to you.
Original post by EllieroseFarmer
Why do you like literature?

Reasons:

- I am fascinating in a good plot.
- I like characters with prominent personalities.
- I learn to widen my vocabulary
- I have a good taste in well-written novels.
- I like to enter a world in my mind.
- I can change my views on things thanks to novels.
(edited 3 years ago)
There's something delicious about a well-heeled turn of phrase.
Original post by becausethenight
There's something delicious about a well-heeled turn of phrase.

In other words you like to read sophisticated expressions, both in narrative form and in dialogues.
Original post by Kallisto
In other words you like to read sophisticated expressions, both in narrative form and in dialogues.

I'd argue that well written and sophisticated are possibly different, but basically, yeah :smile:
Reply 7
Because i can quote obscure passages at people to be a poncy little **** :biggrin:

On a more serious note because well, its interesting. The foreign ones give you an insight into the mind of different cultures/peoples/times. Other than that its a great way to lose yourself from the tedium of real life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending