The Student Room Group

Sainsburys threatening

So I’ve been working at Sainsburys for a while and my probationary period hasn’t gone yet. My manager talked to me essentially stating that I wasn’t productive enough and that it was my fault that a task didn’t get done in my last shift. However, I wasn’t in charge of that particular task, a colleague was who even admitted it to me. My manager set up a meeting with 2 other managers basically threatening me saying that I could be dismissed if I don’t work harder. They said these meetings usually lead to dismissal but that’s not what they wanted. I’ve got about a month to ‘prove’ myself. I’m just wondering if I should quit before then as it’s clear that I’m the one being blamed, my colleagues agree and one even suggested it’s due to racism. The hours are quite long and I’ve got school to focus on, so in a way this would be better for me. Just wondering if anyone’s been in the same position and what happened? I know this isn’t the right forum but I’d like to remain anonymous. I’m also applying for other jobs just in case I do decide to leave.
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been working at Sainsburys for a while and my probationary period hasn’t gone yet. My manager talked to me essentially stating that I wasn’t productive enough and that it was my fault that a task didn’t get done in my last shift. However, I wasn’t in charge of that particular task, a colleague was who even admitted it to me. My manager set up a meeting with 2 other managers basically threatening me saying that I could be dismissed if I don’t work harder. They said these meetings usually lead to dismissal but that’s not what they wanted. I’ve got about a month to ‘prove’ myself. I’m just wondering if I should quit before then as it’s clear that I’m the one being blamed, my colleagues agree and one even suggested it’s due to racism. The hours are quite long and I’ve got school to focus on, so in a way this would be better for me. Just wondering if anyone’s been in the same position and what happened? I know this isn’t the right forum but I’d like to remain anonymous. I’m also applying for other jobs just in case I do decide to leave.

It must be really stressful to be in a position where youvfeelvyouvare being constantly watched and judged. Firstly your school work is the most important thing, that's your future . Secondly stress is so bad for your physical and mental health. Thirdly they can't think you are that bad or they would have dismissed you. They do sound unfair and bullies , no need to have such an official meeting justca quiet word would have been adequate. If you can, walk away and find another job , you are worth more and you don't need the stress of a bullying boss especially when you have school work

What is your race
that’s awful.

i would encourage you to stay. only quit if you have a job to go to. the pandemic has meant that hundreds of people have lost their jobs and there aren’t many jobs going. even when there is a job, you will be competing against everyone else who lost their job.
Reply 4
I think they hired me by accident if it makes sense, as there were ‘complications’ with my application. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they were trying to get rid of me. I obviously won’t complain if I cant find a job as I know what I’m getting myself into if I decide to quit. I just don’t want to tell future employers that I’ve been dismissed.
Reply 5
Original post by monkey lover
What is your race

South Asian
Reply 6
Original post by baby.bear
that’s awful.

i would encourage you to stay. only quit if you have a job to go to. the pandemic has meant that hundreds of people have lost their jobs and there aren’t many jobs going. even when there is a job, you will be competing against everyone else who lost their job.

Yeah I completely agree I’ve been struggling to find a job since last year so I’m definitely reluctant on quitting but I just don’t want to tell future employers I’ve been dismissed if I end up getting sacked.
Reply 7

I also want to add that I’m moving quite far away from the store and it would mean that I wouldn’t be able to get to work anyways so if I quit it wouldn’t only be because of this.
Reply 8
Manager sounds like a knob who doesn't like you.

I'd start covertly spy filming these conversations and meetings. Sounds like they are going to get rid of you unfairly.
Yeah I completely agree I’ve been struggling to find a job since last year so I’m definitely reluctant on quitting but I just don’t want to tell future employers I’ve been dismissed if I end up getting sacked.

is there no way of appealing the decision? i guess the best thing to do is always look busy and work your hardest until they stop watching you. seems like you’re being treated unfairly though!
If you leave because you are moving, perfectly reasonable to quit. If you are to allege racism, it helps if you have someone to compare with who you feel has been treated differently.
Yeah Im trying to find jobs and apply but it’s quite hard right now! Wish me luck :smile: If I quit and I get asked why did I leave then I already know what to say but I just don’t want to say I got fired :/
Original post by barnetlad
If you leave because you are moving, perfectly reasonable to quit. If you are to allege racism, it helps if you have someone to compare with who you feel has been treated differently.

I cant find someone else as I am quite literally the only one who isn’t white in the section I work in. I’ve seen a few light skin girls who work at tills but they’ve got different managers so it wouldn’t work :/ Thanks for the advice though!
Original post by baby.bear
is there no way of appealing the decision? i guess the best thing to do is always look busy and work your hardest until they stop watching you. seems like you’re being treated unfairly though!

They’re legally allowed to terminate my contract anytime within the first 12 weeks so I don’t believe there would be a point in appealing and I think it’s overall for the best anyways as I’m moving and I’ve got school to focus on right now! I’ll try looking for jobs with less hours and closer to my new place
They’re legally allowed to terminate my contract anytime within the first 12 weeks so I don’t believe there would be a point in appealing and I think it’s overall for the best anyways as I’m moving and I’ve got school to focus on right now! I’ll try looking for jobs with less hours and closer to my new place

that’s a great idea! i hope everything works out for you x
Yeah Im trying to find jobs and apply but it’s quite hard right now! Wish me luck :smile: If I quit and I get asked why did I leave then I already know what to say but I just don’t want to say I got fired :/

Hi, you don't have to disclose you got fired and employees are not allowed to put it on a reference. They will just confirm the dates you were employed.
Good luck in finding a new job
I attempted this, and failed horribly. I wouldn’t recommend doing so as you would ultimately be left without a job either way. I ended up getting sacked and then looking for a job, because I wasn’t getting interviews before I was sacked.

However I did tell my interviewers the truth as to why I got sacked and I couldn’t be happier😊 sometimes it’s better to be out with the truth then in with a lie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending